RARE MAGLITES

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Brinkmann made a 3 cell AA minimag type light called TriMax. I put a lamptronix bulb from an F-14 fighter jet in mine. But a Streamlight Strion bulb can work.
You may luck up and actually find some TriMax Nextar bulbs on eBay but those are as rare as an honest politician these days.

madmardigan2

Newly Enlightened
IMGP2490.jpg

Wow, what color pattern is this? It looks somewhat shimmery purple tie dye? How old is this one? It's glorious.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, what color pattern is this? It looks somewhat shimmery purple tie dye? How old is this one? It's glorious.

They look aftermarket to me, most likely from Fivemega. I know when the Maglites were big for modding a number of years ago people used to take a Silver light, remove the clear coat and anodize them different colors. I'm not sure how exactly that camo pattern is done but it looks like some sort of anodizing, similar to the old Malkoffs.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are made by Mirage_Man.

Lots of cool customs from back then!

Probably not the coolest find but I picked up a 1st Gen Mini Mag and old school leather holster recently. I haven't seen these holsters before with the Mag Instrument embossing. They're pretty heavy duty!

vM0O01G.jpg

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
The auction site has an interesting one.

Maglite Custom "Defender S1 EXTREME" Prototype Urban Assault & Home Defense hilarious

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The auction site has an interesting one.

Maglite Custom "Defender S1 EXTREME" Prototype Urban Assault & Home Defense hilarious

All I can say is "Wow!".

6Ir3qI9.jpg

It reminds me of this old pic that's been floating around for a while:

1JXf6RN.jpg

I guess the dude selling it is serious....... seriously crazy! :) Even says he tried to pitch it to Maglite as a design idea.....

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can say is "Wow!".

6Ir3qI9.jpg

I guess the dude selling it is serious....... seriously crazy! :) Even says he tried to pitch it to Maglite as a design idea.....

It looks ridiculous to me and what he is asking for it even more. :shakehead
Long time ago I built a home defence Mag myself. It's also based on a 6D but looks totally different. :nana:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks kinda like PK's keychain light in the late 90's minus the compass and swiss army knife. lol

:hahaha:

It looks ridiculous to me and what he is asking for it even more. :shakehead
Long time ago I built a home defence Mag myself. It's also based on a 6D but looks totally different. :nana:

I agree. That looks like tape holding everything together. I know it's a "prototype" but the build quality looks especially poor. The knife is also obviously broken. I bet you could put this together yourself after a 15 min trip to Harbor Freight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The St Jude ensemble
41-F31-EB0-9-B9-E-4377-99-D0-A7074-ADEE86-C.jpg

The 127 lumen (32 lumen low) aa minimag pro plus and 47 lumen solitaire

DF5819-BF-7-C52-4800-AD38-E33124981961.jpg

Beautifully done.

I did not realize there is a 100 lumen aaa minimag too so that will be purchased next time I order a Maglite product. And I may buy another aa minimag because I really like the beam from that one. Nice, white thrower.

It's actually really for the children this time.
3210-CEBD-AF8-F-4-BA2-820-C-9-B539-C6-A9-F07.jpg

Last edited:

Yates

Newly Enlightened
I also thought I'd share a pic from another collector that I correspond with. He gave me permission to post it. It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

I wish Maglite would do some limited editions, such as special finishes, or even just a stealth matte finish on the black non knurled lights.

Olight for example, does limited editions all the time, you could even say they focus more on those than on regular lights. They usually make 10k runs, and good luck finding them, everyone scrambles to grab the limited editions. Blink. And they're gone.

I've thought about this, and either Maglite manufacturing is too big for special edition runs, or they're not targeting the collectors/flashaholics market.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I wish Maglite would do some limited editions, such as special finishes, or even just a stealth matte finish on the black non knurled lights.

Olight for example, does limited editions all the time, you could even say they focus more on those than on regular lights. They usually make 10k runs, and good luck finding them, everyone scrambles to grab the limited editions. Blink. And they're gone.

I've thought about this, and either Maglite manufacturing is too big for special edition runs, or they're not targeting the collectors/flashaholics market.

I've bought directly from them... end runs of stuff. They _will_ make you a custom run. Not sure what a minimum order is.

Most of my stuff is smooth barrels, no knurling. Was supposed to be printed/engraved but never was. Few custom colors.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been saying the same thing too!! I'd love to see a new Vari-Beam!! The only thing I seem to see from them are laser etched standard lights, which are cool but I think collectors want a little more effort put into it than that. Something that really looks like a one-off. Most of the brands I know that have a cult following all do this. Look at Ford with the 267 limited editions of the new Bronco. Certainly you'd think it would be harder to put together a limited edition Bronco than a limited edition flashlight.

One man try to sale this minimag with stuck batteries.
Is this minimag rare?
ASUPx8q

Hey Dino! I'd classify them as more uncommon than rare. The Mini Maglites are also a GIANT paint to restore. They're so small to work with and the threads are so fine that I've ruined about 50% of them with stuck batteries. Everything all has to come out through the rear of the ight too because the barrel has a "stopper" machined into the front. On the bigger lights I usually have a 90% success rate with stuck batteries. Unless the light was free I personally wouldn't bother with it. They do pop up on eBay from time to time.

Yates

Newly Enlightened
A Vari-Beam 5 Cell just popped up on the auction site. How rare are these?