RARE MAGLITES

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
congratulates Icarus. Beautiful, gold Maglite with two batteries. Almost perfect. Happy New Year 🍾🔦
Very nice picture! It looks like new too. (y) :clap:

I have several different colour 2C's including a gold one so I was pretty sure it was a 2C.
Mine has a slightly lower serial number 23826398.

fidusinski

Newly Enlightened
Very nice picture! It looks like new too. (y) :clap:

I have several different colour 2C's including a gold one so I was pretty sure it was a 2C.
Mine has a slightly lower serial number 23826398.
Thank you for your support. I managed to buy two more interesting Maglites and I am curious what they look like and if one of them is Jade Mag. Worse news, this place is ending and I have to plan some expositions for my little collection, because so far I do not have 🙂

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your support. I managed to buy two more interesting Maglites and I am curious what they look like and if one of them is Jade Mag. Worse news, this place is ending and I have to plan some expositions for my little collection, because so far I do not have 🙂
If one of them is a Jade Maglite then it must be a 2D, 3D or 4D. The Jade 3D is most common (at least in my collection :)). As far as I know there are no Jade MagC's.

fidusinski

Newly Enlightened
Today unpacked. Unfortunately, the color of Jadge is still missing 😁 However, the first one from the right is shimmer blue - also a rare color

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_135154.jpg
    IMG_20220116_135154.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 101

fidusinski

Newly Enlightened
How do you think, because I'm not sure if these two maglites in shades of blue are Midnight blue and shimmer blue?

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_194223.jpg
    IMG_20220117_194223.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 103

turbodog

Flashaholic
How do you think, because I'm not sure if these two maglites in shades of blue are Midnight blue and shimmer blue?

They appear to be regular blue and shimmer blue.

You can compare to the colors in my minimag thread...

Midnight blue is top picture, top row, far right.

Even on stock colors, there is significant tint variance sometimes.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Discerning the subtle difference between some of the colors is hard. Your camera may have taken a good photo, but if my monitors are not displaying the picture accurately I won't see what you see.

Shimmer blue, if I recall correctly, is top picture, bottom row, 2nd from left. I put labels inside the lights years ago.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today unpacked. Unfortunately, the color of Jadge is still missing 😁 However, the first one from the right is shimmer blue - also a rare color
Not only the shimmer blue is rare. The lime green are this also especially in new/mint condition. (y) :clap:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do these 7D Mags get more exciting the lower the number gets? Does 70001301 mean it was the 1301th unit manufactured? Mine looks pretty rough, and I think its not working. One other question I had was, should I try restoring it or like old coins, is it better to leave it rough and dirty?
It is definitely a low number. Mine has serial# 70008698 and according to Maglite it was manufactured in April 1981.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The serial number is applied to the barrel but that does not mean it was the build number.
Example: on Feb 1,1981 there may have been 350 stamped with numbers in a sequence, but parts added and complete build may not have been in that same order.

However it would be logical at the period where the Maglite factory was still expanding to keep up with demand that a serial number of 1301 was definitely a pretty early one. Probably went out the door before 8698, yes.

By the mid 1980's when Maglite was selling lights by the million a low serial number of a new model may not indicate that it was an early build but since 7C and 7D did not sell very well it would be a safe bet a low serial number is a low production number. If it were the popular (back then) 3D model, who knows?

You can contact Maglite and they'll tell you the build date. They get a kick out of hearing about really old Maglites still being used.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I got my first around 1985 give or take. The bulbs were higher quality back then and included adjusting shims for a super tight focus. Remember being able to light up neighbor's house 1000' away with a tight spot. Never occurred to me that I was shining it in through their den window.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been on in a while but I must say those are some very nice lights. I still read through this whole thread from the first page sometimes. I have some new finds I've been meaning to post. Nothing earth shattering but some interesting old lights.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know about a sterling silver Mag solitaire?
Yes, they were done by a few jewelers in Maglite's early days but they were not an official Maglite product. I think they were done in the UK. The used the Solitaire internals. I don't believe they were branded. I don't own one but once every few years they seems to come up for sale.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a few nice lights I came across recently. Not super rare but some that you don't see very often. I love these old lights in different finishes.

JEKp4hZ.jpg

From top to bottom they are:

1987 to 1989 Stamped R Bezel 4D in Silver. I've seen a bunch of 2D silver lights in this era but never a 4D so I was excited to grab it. I love the long grip before they changed them in 1990.

1990 or 1991 Laser Etched Bezel 3C in Blue. I actually had one of these before but it was in really rough shape. I've also seen some dark green 3Cs from this era too. There was a red done then too and I know a member on here has one but I've never come across one for sale in all my years of collecting and I really really want one. It's right before they added the panther to the bezel in 1992.

1987 to 1989 Stamped R Bezel 3D in Gold. I have a few of these and they're not as rare as you might think. This one is a little rough and had a leaking battery that I needed to clean up.

1981 to 1986 Stamped TM Bezel 3D in Red. These TM bezel lights are the toughest ones to find in different colors. I already have one of these Red 3Ds but this one hung around on ebay for a few days with no bids so I couldn't resist.

I have some other super rare lights I've picked up in the last year that I have to get around to posting too. Love seeing everyone elses new acquisitions too. Even thought this thread is going on 13 years old it's still going strong!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cruise Maglite's website from time to time to see what incan lights they've discontinued and what new offerings they have. These 2D Midnight Blue lights popped up a couple days ago. For those who don't know Midnight Blue was a special finish they did in the early 2000s for retailers that sold a lot of lights. I'm surprised to see them listed on Mag's web site. They're not listed under the regular 2D finish options but they're a stand alone product. I'm tempted to order a couple and see what happens because this is one of the few special order finishes I've never been able to pin down. The logo even appears to be the old one and Mag has sold leftover lights in the past on their site.

r9Js2Zh.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
Get 4 different models. Mix/match the parts to make some early 1990's tie dye patterns.

I've got a 2aa I leave in the garage to check vehicles' fluids. Each time the alkalines leak and kill it I swap parts to add a new color to the 'repaired' light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I cruise Maglite's website from time to time to see what incan lights they've discontinued and what new offerings they have. These 2D Midnight Blue lights popped up a couple days ago. For those who don't know Midnight Blue was a special finish they did in the early 2000s for retailers that sold a lot of lights. I'm surprised to see them listed on Mag's web site. They're not listed under the regular 2D finish options but they're a stand alone product. I'm tempted to order a couple and see what happens because this is one of the few special order finishes I've never been able to pin down. The logo even appears to be the old one and Mag has sold leftover lights in the past on their site.
I bought one. It's sexy.

They also have some old minimags like the black one that says "work of art that works", blood red MagTac, Coyote MacTac, Coyote ML300 etc.