RARE MAGLITES

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one. It's sexy.

They also have some old minimags like the black one that says "work of art that works", blood red MagTac, Coyote MacTac, Coyote ML300 etc.
Awesome!! Got any pics of the midnight blue light? Does it have the old logo or the new one? Can you tell the difference between that and the standard blue?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A56B5FCA-E6C9-4E1F-AF28-EB8960636C2A.jpeg

Left is the midnight blue
81792A5A-5B93-49D8-937F-664BAEB3C0CF.jpeg

Shows the logo with a general production blue LED from a few years back and some ML300's.
Has the dash in it, yes

8FABD417-0672-4742-B2C2-AC0C68D41752.jpeg

Just the two side by side.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left is the midnight blue

Shows the logo with a general production blue LED from a few years back and some ML300's.
Has the dash in it, yes

Just the two side by side.
Thanks dude!! But I'm also kind of mad because I think you just cost me $50! 😁I am pretty sure these are NOS based on the logo and they do look like legit Midnight Blue.

Any chance you know the serial number? I'm curious how these date. Thanks!!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nice to see ya around Lift'd,

D2037608745.
#37,xxx,xxx perhaps?

Yeah, I suppose it's NOS. So were the silver 4D incans I bought, but they were all outfitted with bi-pin bulbs if that means anything. Easy enough to convert to PR (krypton) if the bi-pin takes collector points off.

I've yet to put a battery in the blue one. Not sure what I've got in mind so it's stashed with my 40th anniversary light.

I bought 4D xenon lights when watching the tv show Jerico on video, and after an EMP murdered all electronics in Kansas some used 4D Maglites.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see ya around Lift'd,

D2037608745.
#37,xxx,xxx perhaps?

Yeah, I suppose it's NOS. So were the silver 4D incans I bought, but they were all outfitted with bi-pin bulbs if that means anything. Easy enough to convert to PR (krypton) if the bi-pin takes collector points off.

I've yet to put a battery in the blue one. Not sure what I've got in mind so it's stashed with my 40th anniversary light.

I bought 4D xenon lights when watching the tv show Jerico on video, and after an EMP murdered all electronics in Kansas some used 4D Maglites.
Thanks!! I've been sooooo busy with work the last couple years I haven't been on much but I've been doing lots of light restorations and modifications.

Interesting! They date to 2017 with that serial. I thought all of those special finish runs were done in Mags hey day in the early 2000s. All of the other 2D special finish lights I have are around a 12,000,000 serial. I'm not sure why Mag would have done a special run in 2017 but I'm in!! If for nothing else to compare them to Midnight Blue lights others have sent me over the years to see if they actually are. The standard blue has evolved from an electric blue to a navy blue over the years and it's very tough to tell what's Midnight Blue and what's standard.

I love the 4Ds. Why don't you like the bipin bulbs? I noticed the spot is a little tighter but I sputter all my reflectors anyway so they didn't seem bad. I picked up 20 or so warm LED PR drop ins a while back and that's mostly what I run on my daily use lights now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The standard blue products I've recieved in the last couple of years are still somewhat 'electric' looking. Perhaps less 1980's hewey lewis and the news electric like the tie I wore at my high school graduation. The midnight blue is more of a Cintas or D¡ck¡es uniform blue.

I don't mind the Maglite bi-pin bulb. But figured perhaps a glass lens and PR base xenon would look a little more "tacticool"…… or perhaps a 1960's TungSol argon bulb to put out a nice warm glow compared to xenon. Not really after a bunch of extra lumens with ole midnight rider, really. Just something most would not even notice tbh.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any recommendation for a specific warm white drop in? I've seen a couple but the quality seems questionable.
Are you referring to 2835 SMD 3000k 97cri ?
I've seen these (China) bulbs, but skeptical on bean quality. Especially indoor use for bounce back, could produce the dreaded donut effect on flood

Last edited:

Incandescent

Newly Enlightened
Are you referring to 2835 SMD 3000k 97cri ?
I've seen these (China) bulbs, but skeptical on bean quality. Especially indoor use for bounce back, could produce the dreaded donut effect on flood
The ones I found are made by Ruiandsion, but don't specify CRI and have some negative reviews.

I haven't found any PR base drop ins available with high CRI specified.

turbodog

Flashaholic
One that started it all...

Was bought long enough ago that I'm pretty sure I mailed a money order for it.

Have asked mag for mfg date. I'm remembering 1985 or so.

Edit: Mag said "01/26/1986"

1648154182606.png

1648154225556.png

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was mouser dot com I read the specs. However, appears it must of been in BLF thread..
Looks like the cool and neutral are 80Cri, not sure about the warm

Still must be a slight improvement over the old incan.. I'm just not sure it's worth the wait from Guangzhou.. Also, like you said I'm not seeing any positive feedback

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any recommendation for a specific warm white drop in? I've seen a couple but the quality seems questionable.
I bought different ones on Amazon. None are great but some were decent. You're right, no one makes an excellent warm drop in but some of them weren't awful if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't posted in a long time because I've been so busy with work, my home remodel, and general family stuff but I've got some old lights I never posted and some new ones I found. This one I got a while back but never posted. It is the oldest Maglite I've seen. It is a 2D, serial #422. I haven't seen any D cells with a lower serial although I have seen C cells. C cells didn't start until a year later so it's a safe bet that any 1979 lights are older than any C cell.

jt9DDJy.jpg

Like other super early lights I have "Patent" is spelled correctly. This is because the machining was still being done by Tony and Don in house. Not more than 2 months or so after Maglite started they began sub contracting out various parts of the manufacturing process to keep up with demand and that's when the T in Patent was lost. So, on later 1979 lights and all 1980 lights they read "Paten Pending". Contrary to popular belief that was not an error but the sub contractors couldn't fit enough dies in their stamping machine so they left off the T.

1kYpxU7.jpg

One day I would love to visit the Maglite factory because I have heard that they retained some super low serial D cells and they might be on display or were in the past. Has anyone here visited? If so I would love to hear about it. Don had some super low C cell serials but from what I hear is most of the early D cell Maglite examples were sold retail because no one knew the importance of them. Interestingly enough Ford sold serial #1 of the Ford Mustang and had to spend a lot of money to buy it back so I can see why Maglite would do the same. I'm always hoping a single or double digit serial will pop up eventually for sale.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
One that started it all...

Was bought long enough ago that I'm pretty sure I mailed a money order for it.

Have asked mag for mfg date. I'm remembering 1985 or so.

Edit: Mag said "01/26/1986"
Very cool!!! I love to see these old lights still in service. I have a similar 2D that I use to go out to get wood for my stove. I love it because I can sling it under my arm when I pickup wood. You can't do that with smaller lights. Love the lanyard too! Did you tie it yourself?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Very cool!!! I love to see these old lights still in service. I have a similar 2D that I use to go out to get wood for my stove. I love it because I can sling it under my arm when I pickup wood. You can't do that with smaller lights. Love the lanyard too! Did you tie it yourself?

It's an old leather shoestring from back when the dexter ankle boots were in style.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nothing on the scale of a 1979 C or D light, but when my first ML25IT's arrived from ZBattery and the S/N on the blue one was a bunch of zeros and a 17 I decided that one is stayin' in the package.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an old leather shoestring from back when the dexter ankle boots were in style.

I was big into know tying for a while. I did a bunch of lanyards on some Surefires and Maglites. It can be a little frustrating sometimes but very rewarding.

Nothing on the scale of a 1979 C or D light, but when my first ML25IT's arrived from ZBattery and the S/N on the blue one was a bunch of zeros and a 17 I decided that one is stayin' in the package.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one again! I think you posted it a while back. A treasure for sure because I think those ML25 incans were discontinued. I have a few and it's a shame because I really like them. The LEDs are way too cool for my liking. I will say the battery life is very poor on the incans though. :(

I wound up not picking up the Midnight Blue 2Ds. I might next month. I spent my light budget on Kel-Lite parts and some other cool Kel-Lite stuff I hope to post in you California Cop Light thread soon.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here ya go,

The red one was my first ML25IT to turn into a mini 7D Maglite.
B40CDE71-5F41-46BC-BDE4-F84C056CDB5D.jpeg

The blue one is 071 not 017 like I said above.
E56DDEB3-A309-4314-9CEF-B894A3B6063A.jpeg

Both near each other
5F3ED8F4-E233-4C53-A749-9AAB4FCD97EA.jpeg

Later I did a 3 cell to be brighter too.
273BEEEC-14A6-4F88-A8D3-BAD237256793.jpeg

I have other nip ML25IT's stashed from early 016 also. I bought at least one of each color in 2 cell.

Last edited:

fidusinski

Newly Enlightened
I have a request. I sold one "Lime green" Maglite on ebay.com and the buyer says it is not a lime green but a jade green. It is one of the three shown in the photo. Is it possible according to you?
if so, I have no idea what the difference is between limee green and jade greeen

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_194223.jpg
    IMG_20220117_194223.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 109

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have a request. I sold one "Lime green" Maglite on ebay.com and the buyer says it is not a lime green but a jade green. It is one of the three shown in the photo. Is it possible according to you?
if so, I have no idea what the difference is between limee green and jade greeen

First... there are significant tint variations on ANY color run.

Second... in this thread look at the top pic, top row, 3rd from right. That should be 'jade green'.

Lime would be bottom pic, top row, 3rd from left AND bottom pic, bottom row, far left.