RARE MAGLITES

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timewise the 7D was made for a shorter period of time than 7C, but I feel like I've seen more 7D models for sale. Not a 12/1 ratio in my experience but definitely more of them. I have a 7D but no 7C yet. Supposedly they made 7D Mags in the early '80s. 7Cs kept going until the late '80s.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In terms of Maglite sales of the era the 7 cell series did not sell well at all.

The 7D did sell better than the 7C yet on the second hand market command way more $ than a 7C. Like Abtomat said 7C was available longer so in total there are likely more 7C's out there. Who knows how many are gone due to leaked batteries though.,..

Edit: I just read at the "maglite more than a cop light" blog about 19,000 7D were produced and about 40,000 7C were produced.

When you see the orange 7C in the story click on that for the history of the 7C.

Last edited:

Yates

Newly Enlightened
Given that I've been collecting for 20 years and have seen only 1-2 7c compared to a dozen 7d... the 'c' variety.
I've been able to buy two 7C, but haven't come across a 7D in recent years.

I'd say 7D are most rare, any remaining working lights are likely being hoarded.

fidusinski

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone such a beauty has arrived in my collection. My first NASCAR

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_203701.jpg
    IMG_20230304_203701.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 96

terryoregon

Newly Enlightened
I managed to get both a 6 & 7 c-cell about three years ago, when I was collecting Maglites more often. The 7 c-cell were popping up more often on eBay (than 7D) about three years ago. The 6, purchased on eBay (about 2019) was still in it's original blister pack. The 7, was absolute mint.
DSC05123.JPG

BLF.JPG

Attachments

• BLF.JPG
    BLF.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a 7 C used but good shape may have paid too much but it will go along with my 6D cell Now I just need to get something to make it real bright.It would be nice to also keep the focus ability.
C

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did Mag product gold-anodized C/D cell lights at specific points in time or randomly as they felt like it? I used to think it was a pretty limited thing but the more photos I see online I realize they're from almost every date range.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm not sure how often they actually made runs of them. Anyone know if there were there different golds or is one of these a copper tone? It's not quite as orange as the photo makes it seem. C-cell is a couple years newer than the D-cell.

PXL_20230425_223815898.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They also did a small run of brass body gold plated minimags at one point. I traded my Marquis (pre-Solitaire) for one then later traded that for a gold plated 3aa Brinkmann Legend.

Speaking of Legends:
This site is EPIC!!

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'm not sure how often they actually made runs of them. Anyone know if there were there different golds or is one of these a copper tone? It's not quite as orange as the photo makes it seem. C-cell is a couple years newer than the D-cell.

View attachment 43099

Two golds made, anodized and real. From looking at _my_ screen, the 'd' doesn't look gold, more like a pewter that got a weird tint during finishing.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D-cell is a straw-colored gold in person. It also seems to be part of the serial range from around 1992 when a large batch of gold D-cell Mags were made. The C-cell is late '90s and has a deeper color, more coppery but it doesn't look like the copper Mags I've seen photos of.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The D-cell is a straw-colored gold in person. It also seems to be part of the serial range from around 1992 when a large batch of gold D-cell Mags were made. The C-cell is late '90s and has a deeper color, more coppery but it doesn't look like the copper Mags I've seen photos of.

Dunno. I've seen serious tiny variations while building my aa collection. Not much would surprise me. I've seen colors not match the box code at all (they just shove lights into whatever box they have handy sometimes).

willrx

Enlightened
They also did a small run of brass body gold plated minimags at one point. I traded my Marquis (pre-Solitaire) for one then later traded that for a gold plated 3aa Brinkmann Legend.

Speaking of Legends:
This site is EPIC!!
Still have a few including the brass version. I'll dig them out and get a fresh picture or two if interested.