Rattlesnake M90 questions

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!
I'm new at this flashaholism stuff so please bare with me.

I'm thinking of buying a base WE M-90
3 AE 18650 protected cells
1 extender
1 LF EO-13 13v 700 lumens LA

Will this setup work ok?

If it does, it seems it would be brighter and cheaper than a stock rechargable 13v M100.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This set-up works great!!!!
The only thing I see is that if you buy the 18650 batteries from (Are you talking about AW or AE batteries?) AW then you will need to buy some magnets or something to fit in between the 18650 batteries since the 18650 batteries have a flat positive top and will NOT make contact with the negative of the other battery. I read that the Wolf eyes batteries will work with no problem. If you buy it from PTS they will be able to guide you all the way. Mike@PTS is great to deal with.
Your other choice is this set-up
1-http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-20-40-88-6040&tb=4
with a LRB-168 extender, and an extra 168A battery.

2- If you want a shorter flashlight set-up then go with just a stock M90 Rattlesnake, 3 LRB-150A batteries and a LRB-150 extender.

Buy the Lumens Factory EO-13 for either set-up.

tofer50 said:
Hi everyone!
I'm new at this flashaholism stuff so please bare with me.

I'm thinking of buying a base WE M-90
3 AE 18650 protected cells
1 extender
1 LF EO-13 13v 700 lumens LA

Will this setup work ok?

If it does, it seems it would be brighter and cheaper than a stock rechargable 13v M100.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound sell the magnets and the AW 18650 batteries.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1689
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1305

Keep in mind most people do not like the idea of using magnets just because if the magnet shifts and the ground and positive touch it shorts out the battery then the battery has a possibility of exploding. I DO NOT recommend the magnet.
That is why I am suggesting looking into the Wolf Eyes batteries. Send Mike@PTS a PM and he could tell you if the WE batteries will work without magnets. It may cost more, but it will be safer. I found this out after I bought my set-up.

tofer50 said:
I meant AW. My mistake.
Where would you suggest I get the magnets?

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
After putting so much money into these WE legos, I think that you would do fine with either the 150A or 168A batteries. I recommend that you just get the package deal plus the LF EO-13 700lm lamp assembly from PTS and save the hassle. Paul and many others have stated that the WE stock 168A (18650) has more capacity than AW or competition. Just getting everything from PTS would save you money and hassle, since you wouldn't have to deal with another shipping charge, magnets, and PayPal. Either M90 complete kits from PTS includes the light, tailcap charger, 3 batteries, another lamp assembly, and extender. Just don't complicate the setup; it is less prone to failure.

Don't forget to pm Mike@PTS for the CPF discount.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh Yeah!!! I forgot about the CPF discount :). Thanks for reminding him about that. Simply stated I agree 100% with this post.
Effulgence said:
After putting so much money into these WE legos, I think that you would do fine with either the 150A or 168A batteries. I recommend that you just get the package deal plus the LF EO-13 700lm lamp assembly from PTS and save the hassle. Paul and many others have stated that the WE stock 168A (18650) has more capacity than AW or competition. Just getting everything from PTS would save you money and hassle, since you wouldn't have to deal with another shipping charge, magnets, and PayPal. Either M90 complete kits from PTS includes the light, tailcap charger, 3 batteries, another lamp assembly, and extender. Just don't complicate the setup; it is less prone to failure.

Don't forget to pm Mike@PTS for the CPF discount.

Glen C

Enlightened
Tofer, the WE batteries work without magnets, the AW require magnets. Either way you will have one powerful light, it works very well.

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks Flashkat.
Why do they make the batteries so that they need magnets?
What about using 3 R123's plus a dummy instead of 4 c123's on a flashlight designed for 4 123 primary's? will that work ok? is there such a thing as a 123 dummy?

Glen C

Enlightened
Tofer, it would be dangerous to use 3 x R123 on the LF 13 lamp as it draws 2.2 amps and most R123 are rated at about 750mah (which gives you 1.5 amps safe max draw)

Edit The Eagle 4 doesn't have aftermarket lamps available to the best of my knowledge. The Eagle can be focussed, the Rattlesnake is prefocussed. I have the setup you are considering, it is very bright.

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
LF state about 30 minutes with the EO13, I have never run mine to the end (I use 3 x 18500) but have used it for about 20 minutes with plenty of life left in it

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Even though i am hesitant to ask as it might ignite my interest in another light, Glen what other LA are available for this setup? Any that offer a little more run time?

As for the magnets, i use one in my Raider and have yet to have a problem and this light is used and bumped around quite a lot while i am at work. The magnet that i have been supplied moves minimally during the life of the batteries. :grin2:

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Keeper, you cant keep a good flashaholic down :grin2: There is the standard WE lamp of 300 lumens offering one hour or the LF HO13 with 400 lumens offering one hour. All of those are with the WE 150A (18500) which still keeps the size relatively modest.

DM51

Flashaholic
I can confirm the M90 + short extender + LF EO-13 + 3 x 18500/WE 150A is an excellent set-up - very bright, huge throw, ~30 mins run-time. You would get ~50% more run-time (and perhaps a bit more brightness due to less voltage sag) from 3 x 168As, but you'd need the long extender which would add about 2 ins to the overall length (see answer to question below).

tofer50 said:
Would 2.2 amps translate to about 1 hour with the 2200 mah?
No. With 168As it will probably be ~45 mins. I haven't done a run-time test myself with 18650s/168As (someone else please?) but the rated capacity is a figure for when the battery is discharged at a modest current load. The heavier the load, the faster the charge is depleted AND the more "usable" capacity is lost. That is why a 1C discharge rate does not give you 60 mins run-time, and 2C certainly doesn't give you 30 mins.

Whichever batteries you use, don't run them right down every time, even though they are protected. You'll get better life from them if you top them up from half-charge rather than waiting until the LV protection cut out.

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
DM51 said:
I can confirm the M90 + short extender + LF EO-13 + 3 x
18500/WE 150A is an excellent set-up - very bright, huge throw, ~30 mins run-time. You would get ~50% more run-time (and perhaps a bit more brightness due to less voltage sag) from 3 x 168As, but you'd need the long extender which would add about 2 ins to the overall length (see answer to question below).

No. With 168As it will probably be ~45 mins. I haven't done a run-time test myself with 18650s/168As (someone else please?) but the rated capacity is a figure for when the battery is discharged at a modest current load. The heavier the load, the faster the charge is depleted AND the more "usable" capacity is lost. That is why a 1C discharge rate does not give you 60 mins run-time, and 2C certainly doesn't give you 30 mins.

Whichever batteries you use, don't run them right down every time, even though they are protected. You'll get better life from them if you top them up from half-charge rather than waiting until the LV protection cut out.

Ok. Now I'm confused. I only see one extender for the WE M-90. The M90-13V-168/Extender. What is a short extender?

DM51

Flashaholic
tofer50 said:
Ok. Now I'm confused. I only see one extender for the WE M-90. The M90-13V-168/Extender. What is a short extender?
It's half the length of an RCR123 cell (adds ~17mm to the length of the body). It is so you can use 3 x 18500 batteries. 4 x CR123A = ~133mm long (the M90 body's length). 3 x 18500 = 150mm long, so you need the extra 17mm extender to take the 3 x 18500s. Mike at pts, or GlenC, can help you with this (I'm not sure what its correct designation is).

Glen C

Enlightened
By the 168 in the designation that is the longer extender (168 = 3 x LRB168A battery), as DM51 says the short allows 3 x 150. Mike definitely has them, send him an email and I am sure he will sort it out for you.