Rattlesnake M90 questions

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Pardon me, but the complete package does not include another lamp assembly because this is the new stock lamp assembly (you don't get the bulb that was meant for the 4 123s). (I got the M90 first, then a conversion kit - hence I got 2 lamp assemblies.)

Here is the 150A complete package.

Here is the 168A complete package.

If you type in "conversion" in the search box on the top left, it will yield the conversion kits. These don't include the flashlight itself. I HIGHLY recommend either of the two links above.

18650s and other batteries that don't make contact seem to be a design flaw to me. These would work fine for single cell lights that have springs/buttons on both ends, but require magnets in 2 or more (to contact with each other). Just take the WE 150A or 168A cells, they are worth it. More capacity, peace of mind, and one-stop-shop.

Edit: Also, in case you didn't already know, the EO-13 700lm lamp assembly has a continuous runtime restriction of 5 minutes, rated by the manufacturer Lumens Factory. I would just heed the warning. There are plenty of lamp assemblies to fit your needs, just do a readup before you buy.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Well hush mah mouf too, but if you just e-mail Mike at pts, he is extremely helpful and if you are polite to him he will let you pick and mix what options you like - extenders, batteries, LAs, whatever. You don't have to take a set package.

Some 18650s are made without buttons to minimize length for some single-cell applications (the protection circuit adds ~2mm). It is not a design flaw.

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
OK, this is all good. Now, I noticed that the WE Eagle 4 and the M90 share the same accesory led end cap. Does this mean that you can use the 168 extender on the Eagle 4 and practically establish the same setup I mentioned in the beginning? The reason I ask is because I alreay have an Eagle4 on the way. The Eagle 4 and 90 apparently share the same LA also.

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm not sure about that. You'd have to ask someone who has an Eagle. I think it has a different bezel because it focuses, so the LF EO-13 may not fit.

Edit: I think I've confused the Eagle with the Cobra. It's getting late! I hope someone else can answer this point for you.

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Tofer, Eagles can have extenders added.

Here is a photo I just took of an Eagle lamp (right) and Rattlesnake lamp (left)
hb25265nv6.jpg

If you are getting confused let Mike sort it out for you, he will make sure you have a great package

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot Glen C. That really helps. So, how would you play around with the standard Eagle 4 with 4 cr123 in order to get more runtime or more brightness? or just the benefit of rechargability? I am ordering the M90 package s I mentioned so I guess I will have some interchangable parts between the two, such as the extender and the LED tail cap. Rechargable batteries (3 168's) with a 12V bulb OK?

Glen C

Enlightened
I wouldn't play with the Eagle. Never tried 3 x 168 with a 12V globe as there is a 1.6V difference between the 12V & 13V globes, my guess is it will blow, but I don't want to spend $20 to find out. I wouldn't do it. :)

Edit: When I say I wouldn't play with the Eagle, I mean I would leave it all WE. I would buy another extender and the E4 13V lamp, then just leave it stock running on 3 x 150A rechargeables. I am not much of a fan of primaries and their expense in Australia makes me less of a fan.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordinarily I recommend the Pila wall charger over the Wolf Eyes wall charger; you'll get more cycles out of your 150A cells. However, you'd need two such chargers to charge all 3 cells at once, and the Pila charger costs more than $40 shipped. I still say go for the Pila wall charger if you're willing to charge the 3 cells in two shifts (2 cells, then the third).

Don't sell the Wolf Eyes lamps short. The 13V lamp has a beautiful even flood that delivers the widest beam of any D36 lamp. The 12V lamp will work just fine with three 150A cells and, as I recall, was about dead-even with the Lumens Factory HO-13 D36 in other respects. A couple months ago, I posted beam shots of all Wolf Eyes and Lumens Factory 12V and 13V D36 lamps, tested with 168A cells. I don't have the thread handy.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found out that running with 3 18650's is noticibly brighter than 3 18500's. I figure you cannot pocket carry either set-up so I m staying with the 3 18650 set-up.
Glen C said:
LF state about 30 minutes with the EO13, I have never run mine to the end (I use 3 x 18500) but have used it for about 20 minutes with plenty of life left in it

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
I don't pocket carry it either, but I like the shorter design. Since it is a tailcap clicky, and I don't mount it to a weapon, it's just clumsy to have it that long. If it had a clicky in a spot similar to a C/D-cell Mags, then I could care less about how long it was (to a certain extent).

The 150A version just feels about right in my hands. The 168A protrudes out too much for my liking. Either is fine, it's all user preference.

Glen C

Enlightened
Paul in Maryland, thanks for the good info on the 12V lamps, I wasn't brave enough to try that combo out :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glen C said:
Paul in Maryland, thanks for the good info on the 12V lamps, I wasn't brave enough to try that combo out :)
I should clarify: The 12V on three 150As is a winner. The 12V on three 168As burned out in its second or third 40-minute cycle.

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
Glen C said:
I would buy another extender and the E4 13V lamp, then just leave it stock running on 3 x 150A rechargeables. I am not much of a fan of primaries and their expense in Australia makes me less of a fan.

Glen C, Can you tell me if you can use the M90-13V LRB-168 extender in the D2AX Defender and use 2 168's with a 9 volt LA? the EO-9?
Or 1 168 with the 4 series HO-4?

Thanks for the help

Glen C

Enlightened
Hi Tofer,
A 168 will definitely work in a D2AX with HO4. An EO9 will definitely work with 2 x 168. I dont have a 168 extender in front of me to test on a D2AX.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: D2AX+168A extender

tofer50 said:
Glen C, Can you tell me if you can use the M90-13V LRB-168 extender in the D2AX Defender and use 2 168's with a 9 volt LA? the EO-9?
Yes, you can. To provide electrical continuity, you'll need to bend some copper wire into a ring between body and extender; for illustrated directions, see the Wolf Eyes Lego thread. Unfortunately, the ring will block the upper 168 cell from slipping out the bottom when it's time for charging; you'll need to remove the head or remove the extender. If you remove the extender, you'll need to carefully reinsert the copper ring.

tofer50

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Rattlesnake M-90. What a great light. I also got the extender and the 4 LED tail cap. Now, if I run this setup with the extender and 3 18650's and a LF EO-13, can I still use the 12 v tail cap without any risk?

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Excellent choice, the EO-13 is the way to go!

Now all you have to do is keep using WE cells for all your lights! I think they have only 14500 (LRB-AA), 18650, and 18500 (as far as I know). These are great quality cells.

(I think instead of the D36 Cree lamp assembly, they should have a Cree tailcap. :grin2:)