Ray Tactical X60 (XP-G R5) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :whistle:

X60009.jpg

Specifications:
  • LED: CREE XP-G (R5 bin)
  • Max output: 350 Lumens
  • Reflector: delicate metal reflector
  • Lens: shock resistance coating Switzerland white glass
  • Tactical momentary-on forward click switch
  • Bezel material: 304 stainless steel
  • Body material: T6061 T6 Aircraft aluminum alloy
  • Finish: Flat Gun black HAIII military grade hard anodized.
  • Batteries: CR123AX2、16340X2、17335X2、18650X1、17670X1
  • Drive circuit: high efficiency broad voltage full tune-up circuit
  • Voltage: 2.7-8.5V
  • Size: head diameter 45mm, tube diameter 25.4mm, total length 146mm
  • Weight: 150g (without battery installed) Two modes of output: High brightness: about 3hrs (18650) Low brightness: about 12hrs (18650) (with strobe function)
  • Estimated MSRP ~$79
I've reviewed a couple of Ray lights in the past, but this is their first 1x18650/2xRCR "thrower" model. Let's see how it compares to other lights in its class … :whistle:

X60007.jpg

Packaging is fairly standard for Ray, with a hard carboard box with magnetic closing flap and cut-out foam. Inside, the light comes with a manual, spare o-rings, GITD boot cap, paracord lanyard, and high-quality re-configurable pouch.

A couple of thoughts here – the paracord lanyard reminds me a lot of the earlier Nitecore Defender Infinity. Interesting skull motif everywhere, including on the parachord (the eyes of the skull are GITD!).

The holster is remarkably high quality, and reminds me a lot of the Maxpedition sheaths – but with even more configurable arrangements (i.e. flap off, parts reversed, etc.). :thumbsup:

X60010.jpg

X60004.jpg
TD15005.jpg

From left to right: AW Protected 18650, Lumintop TD-15, Ray Tactical X60, 4Sevens Maelstrom G5, Olight M20, Eagletac T20C2-II, Tiablo A9-R5

X-60: Weight: 148.6g (no batteries), Length 146.6mm x Width 44.9mm (bezel)
TD-15: Weight: 139.2g (no batteries), Length 148.7mm x Width 37.8mm (bezel)
4Sevens G5 Weight: 145.5g (no batteries), Length 156mm x Width 38.9mm (bezel)

X60011.jpg

X60015.jpg

X60016.jpg

Build quality is very high. Screw threads are anodized at the tailcap for lock-out. :)

Anodizing is perfect on my sample, no chips in the medium gloss black (HA = type III). Knurling is decent, and grip is good. Lettering is sharp and clear, in bright white against the black finish. Note the skull motif continues here, but it is rather understated compared to the holster.

Light can tailstand.

Flat-top 18650s worked on my sample. :)

Note there is no clip included with the light – I recommend you use the holster.

X60014.jpg

X60003.jpg

The X60 features the latest emitter (XP-G R5), with a large and deep smooth reflector. This should produce excellent throw.

Which brings us to the requisite white wall hunting ;). All lights are on Hi on AW protected 18650, about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

X60-Beam001.jpg
G5ship-Beam001.jpg

X60-Beam001.jpg
TD15-Beam001.jpg

X60-Beam002.jpg
G5ship-Beam002.jpg

X60-Beam002.jpg
TD15-Beam002.jpg

X60-Beam003.jpg
G5ship-Beam003.jpg

X60-Beam003.jpg
TD15-Beam003.jpg

X60-Beam004.jpg
G5ship-Beam004.jpg

X60-Beam004.jpg
TD15-Beam004.jpg

From now on, all my beamshots will be taken in this standard configuration, to facilitate comparisons.

As you can see, the X60 has excellent throw. My sample has only mild evidence of the center-void darkspot common to XP-G lights with smooth reflectors (your experience may vary, however).

UPDATE 11/30/10: I have just updated my 100-Yard Outdoor Beamshot thread with pics of the X60, directly compared to the Lumintop TD-15 and 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. Check out that thread for more info, but here is an animated GIF showing the relevant comparisons.

TD15-X60-G5.gif

User Interface

Turn the light on by pressing the tailcap clicky (press for momentary on, click for locked on),

Basic operation is controlled by repeated flashing or clicking off/on the tailcap. The light has 3 modes and moves through them in repeating sequence: Hi > Lo > Strobe.

Light has a memory mode, and retains the last setting used.

PWM and Strobe

X60-PWM.gif

The X60 uses PWM on its low mode, at a frequency of 496 Hz on my sample

X60-Strobe.gif

Strobe is 9.9 Hz.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

18650-FL1-Summary1-2.gif

18650-FL1-Summary2-2.gif

18650-FL1-Summary3-2.gif

The X60 is definitely the best XP-G R5 thrower I've seen. :thumbsup: On Hi, overall output is just a touch lower than the 4Sevens G5 on Turbo, but throw is noticeably further.

Output/Runtime Comparison:

Effective January 2010, all CR123A runtimes are now performed on Titanium Innovations batteries. You can compare the performance of these CR123A cells relative to the Duracell/Surefire cells used in my earlier reviews here. These new light results are marked by an "*" in the graph legend

18650-HiRuntime.gif

18650-MedLoRuntime.gif

2xRCR-HiRuntime.gif

2xCR123A-HiRuntime.gif

Potential Issues

Strobe is included on the main sequence, so you need to go through it to return to the beginning of the sequence. I would have preferred to see it "hidden" away somehow.

Due to the somewhat large head, the light may be a bit difficult to carry. Recommend you use the included holster, or something similar.

All XP-G lights with smooth emitters can show a relatively dark center to the hotspot, although I did not notice much of one of my sample.

Light lacks a Med mode – only Lo and Hi present.

Light uses PWM on the Lo mode, at a detectable but not obtrusive 496 Hz.

Preliminary Observations

The Ray X60 is the best throwing XP-G R5-equipped light in my collection at the moment. :)

The 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 first established this category, but a number of new entrants have appeared – like the Lumintop TD-15 reviewed recently, and now the Ray X60.

The X60 is a somewhat simpler light, with only two constant output modes and one strobe (which, alas, is not hidden in any way). Still, that does have the advantage of familiarity and simplicity for some. :shrug: Overall output is slightly less than the 4Sevens of G5 on Turbo, but still pretty close.

The light is well regulated on Hi on all battery sources, with good runtimes. :thumbsup: Output/runtime efficiency on Lo is about what I would expect for a PWM-based XP-G R5 light.

Build quality is quite high, as with other Ray lights I've reviewed - the light seems sturdy and well made.

No surprises here, this is a nice looking and performing light. It's definitely one to consider if you looking for a "thrower" with the XP-G R5 emitter – in fact, nothing else matches it yet for throw. Well done.

----

X60 provided by Ray Tactical for review.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-13-2010 08:32 AM GMT

Hmmm, two days and no comments on the furthest throwing XP-G R5 light I've tested. :thinking: Although admittedly, the TD-15 is pretty close in throw.

I guess I better get cracking on those outdoor shots. :laughing: Should have them done before the end of the month, just waiting on a couple more lights to arrives.
Written by ergotelis on 11-13-2010 09:30 AM GMT

Well, why comment when i have already bought it ? :D

Though, i would add, a lumintop td15 driver with this reflector would do miracles...!
Written by richpalm on 11-13-2010 10:35 AM GMT

Nice work as usual! :twothumbs

However, I can't find info anywhere on how to order one of these. (CPF/USA dealer preferred) There is nothing on Ray's website either.

Someone please enlighten me with a link! :shrug:

Rich
Written by offthetrail on 11-13-2010 11:12 AM GMT

selfbuilt said:
Hmmm, two days and no comments on the furthest throwing XP-G R5 light I've tested. :thinking: Although admittedly, the TD-15 is pretty close in throw.

I guess I better get cracking on those outdoor shots. :laughing: Should have them done before the end of the month, just waiting on a couple more lights to arrives.

I am waiting on outdoor beamshots. Nothing against the Ray X60, but you did release your review for this light at the same time as the TD-15. I am more excited about it. Cheaper price, brighter, nearly the same throw, and a better UI with more modes just make it a little more exciting. :D
Written by HKJ on 11-13-2010 11:19 AM GMT

selfbuilt said:
Hmmm, two days and no comments on the furthest throwing XP-G R5 light I've tested.
But it can not match the old XR-E. The old RRT-1 will easily outthrow it as can be seen in my But it can not match the old XR-E. The old RRT-1 will easily outthrow it as can be seen in my outdoor beamshots.

offthetrail said:
I am waiting on outdoor beamshots.
I did some two weeks ago. I did some two weeks ago.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-13-2010 12:04 PM GMT

richpalm said:
However, I can't find info anywhere on how to order one of these. (CPF/USA dealer preferred) There is nothing on Ray's website either.
I believe you have to contact Ray directly. Try the e-mail on their website ( I believe you have to contact Ray directly. Try the e-mail on their website (www.rayn60.com).

HKJ said:
But it can not match the old XR-E. The old RRT-1 will easily outthrow it.
True enough - at present, an XP-G is not going to out-throw a XR-E with a suitably deep reflector. But the XP-G reflectors have come a long way, as evidenced by the Ray and other examples in this class. True enough - at present, an XP-G is not going to out-throw a XR-E with a suitably deep reflector. But the XP-G reflectors have come a long way, as evidenced by the Ray and other examples in this class.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by recDNA on 11-13-2010 03:16 PM GMT

If you just leave it on high (as I do) the Ray looks like a great deal for the money. I'm also intrigued by the Lumintop. Never heard of it before this review.
Written by The Coach on 11-13-2010 07:51 PM GMT

richpalm said:
selfbuilt said:
I believe you have to contact Ray directly. Try the e-mail on their website (www.rayn60.com).

Correct. Their paypal info is on the website (Contact Us). Send them $79.00 and then email them with your info.
Written by AardvarkSagus on 11-22-2010 10:15 AM GMT

Excellent. I should be getting one of these soon so as soon as I catch up on a couple other reviews I'll have to see how much I agree with you. I always like trying to provide a counterpoint to your excellent data.
Written by ergotelis on 11-22-2010 12:10 PM GMT

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=302847

Check here my post about some more info about ray x60. A very good flashlight but needs a better circuit!
Written by marjon on 11-28-2010 08:15 AM GMT

It's surely a best throwing light, and also seems that the holster and the lanyard with skull GITD are both high quality :devil:
Written by rickypanecatyl on 11-28-2010 04:37 PM GMT

I'm shocked at the lux numbers compared to the G5! You have the lumintop and this at close to what the G5 used to be. How did the G5 go from 18k - 12k lux? I know you are now taking the lux measurements after 30-60 seconds... does the G5 fall that much in that time period? I also noticed under the new lux measurements the DBS R2 has gone up?

So are the Ray and Lumintops just that much better throwers than the Maelstrom? 50% higher lux?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-29-2010 04:49 PM GMT

rickypanecatyl said:
I'm shocked at the lux numbers compared to the G5! You have the lumintop and this at close to what the G5 used to be. How did the G5 go from 18k - 12k lux? I know you are now taking the lux measurements after 30-60 seconds... does the G5 fall that much in that time period? I also noticed under the new lux measurements the DBS R2 has gone up?

So are the Ray and Lumintops just that much better throwers than the Maelstrom? 50% higher lux?
Lux is a non-linear scale - you cannot compare it through direct percentages. Instead, look at the beam distance measures - this is a much better way to compare differences. As you can see, the difference is not so great when you look at a linearized scale. Lux is a non-linear scale - you cannot compare it through direct percentages. Instead, look at the beam distance measures - this is a much better way to compare differences. As you can see, the difference is not so great when you look at a linearized scale.

The switch to the ANSI FL-1 standard explains a lot of the difference from the earlier G5 values (which were ~17K peak lux at ignition). There is a further discussion of this in my TD-15 thead.

Written by selfbuilt on 11-30-2010 08:38 PM GMT

I have just updated the review and my100-Yard Outdoor Beamshot thread with pics of the X60, directly compared to the Lumintop TD-15 and 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. Check out that thread for more info, but here is an animated GIF showing the relevant comparisons.

TD15-X60-G5.gif

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by Lobo on 01-16-2011 04:37 PM GMT

Once again, awesome review Selfbuilt!

If anyones interested, noticed that these babies are on sale now.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...-at-best-price

60USD with shipping is a very tempting price. I'd pick one up if it weren't for the UI.
Written by Colinsdad on 02-12-2011 02:50 AM GMT

As always, a GREAT review! From my understanding, there are some issues with shipping that havent been addressed, at least in the Forum. Ray seems content to send buyers PM's instead of addressing the issue directly. :confused: The price, build quality and performance seem to be VERY good for the price, but, until the shipping issues are resolved, I think I'll wait.
Written by teacher on 02-12-2011 10:30 PM GMT

Mine came in today and I am more than impressed in every way!!! I am about to order some more for gifts to friends.

I don't think you have anything to worry about the shipping... stuff happens sometimes and things get delayed.

The light are worth ever penny IMO....I am a happy customer. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The main review post has been updated with the final review text.

The thread discussions for the last few months have been fully restored from the search engine cache data (thank you tandem!).

Please carry on! :)

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
based on the cached version of this review I pulled the trigger on this one..now I am waiting for the light
popcorn.gif
. Can anyone that owns this flashlight can confirmm me if it has square Threads? Thanks!

nunnya

Newly Enlightened
Is this light weapon mountable?
If so what method would you recommend?

Thanks,
nunnya

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
based on the cached version of this review I pulled the trigger on this one..now I am waiting for the light
popcorn.gif
. Can anyone that owns this flashlight can confirmm me if it has square Threads? Thanks!

help.gif
:bump: Thanks!!!!

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
popcorn.gif

help.gif
:bump: Thanks!!!!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Can anyone that owns this flashlight can confirmm me if it has square Threads? Thanks!
They look square to me, although as you can see from the pics they are rather thin and fine.

Is this light weapon mountable?
I presume so, given the diameter of the body tube should fit a standard 1-inch mount. But you have to ask the experts on that.

MURDOK72605

Newly Enlightened
Decided to get one based on this review. Not sure if it is a promotional or what but I paid $59.00 shipped using paypal. Heck of a deal. Can't wait to get this light.

teacher

Newly Enlightened
A big thanks to any and all who helped in restoring this thread to it's original glory..... :thumbsup::grouphug::bow:

They look square to me, although as you can see from the pics they are rather thin and fine.
The threads at the tail cap do appear to be square to my eye also. :thumbsup:
The ones at the head are not... but no big deal on that, IMO anyway. :)

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
Hi! Can anyone that has this light can confirm me if it takes an AW 18650 2900 mAh Flat top (The ones with three triangulated raised dots)...I want to be sure it will make good contact before buying this battery....I already have this light which I consider it a wonderful light and I recommend it. Thanks!