Rayovac Hybrid Rechargeable NiMH

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scarcely better capacity than the Energizer rechargeable D cells we love to hate. Just another sheep in wolve's clothing.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind these are cells that are geared for the mass market, not so much to hardcore battery geeks :)

They have LSD sub-C cells in them...that's another interesting development in itself.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Scarcely better capacity than the Energizer rechargeable D cells we love to hate. Just another sheep in wolve's clothing.

Well, the Energizer "D" Nimhs have a listed capacity of 2500mah, but if they perform anything like the Energizer AA "2500mah" cells, we know their real capacity is probably nowhere near that, and they probably suffer horrible self-discharge.

Meanwhile Black Rose's tests show that the ROV Hybrid "D" cells have a real capacity around 3000mah. If they have low self discharge qualities as good as the Hybrid AA's, then that's not bad at all for cells that are available at Walmart.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Keep in mind these are cells that are geared for the mass market, not so much to hardcore battery geeks :)

They have LSD sub-C cells in them...that's another interesting development in itself.

LSD sub-C cells. That is interesting in itself. I would like to get my hands on those sub C's.

Bill

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think I have 2 Hybrid AAA cells that may have crapped out on their own.

I was looking through my spreadsheet and saw that I had several sets of AAA cells that needed to be refreshed.

I discharged them before doing a R&A on the C9000.
In two of my sets of 3, one cell in each set was at around 60 mAh while the others were around 550 mAh.

Of course I forgot to mark these two cells as possibly being bad, so now I have to wait a few months and do the discharge again to find them :ohgeez:
I know which light they are in, so that's half the battle right there.

I know LSD cells haven't really been around long enough to say for sure, but can a cell just lose it's LSD capability?

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I can't say for sure what charger I used.

Depending on which one I could of gotten a bad connection or something.

But two of my AA Hybrids only ran my GPS for about 4 hours.

Just tested the pair for V and got 1.21 and 1.29

They were all charged in the days leading up to the DFW get together about 2.5 weeks ago.

I'm fairly certain it has more to do with charging than loss of long term storage however.

I'm going to put this pair in my C Crane right now.

EDIT: Incidently my GPS always dies at right around 1.2x but almost always runs 8-10 hours.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Again only 3-4 hours.

What MAY have happened is I have 3 decent SLOW chargers. I used two of them before the get together and probably didn't leve the batteries in long enough.

I should find two more pair that run short before it's over.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
:thinking:

Many times, while I'm viewing posts, I wonder to myself, how many posters actually consider the amount of HARD DISK SPACE the forum owners have to provide to save their current entry for YEARS to come...

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I think I have 2 Hybrid AAA cells that may have crapped out on their own... I know LSD cells haven't really been around long enough to say for sure, but can a cell just lose it's LSD capability?

I've already thrown away two of my AAA ROV Hybrids myself for this very reason. Each one was used in a pairs situation, and quite suddenly one of the two in each pair would self-discharge noticeably and also provide significantly less capacity.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 month self-discharge test of Rayovac Hybrid C and D cells.

I charged two Rayovac Hybrid C cells and two D cells on May 3, 2009 using the Break-in cycle on my Maha C9000.

All cells were stored at room temperature in the lower part of our house.

All cells were discharged today at 500 mA.

Code:
Cell         Break-in         3-month        Self              Remaining 
             capacity         Capacity       discharge         Capacity
C1             2987             2489           16.7%              83.3%
C2             2924             2482           15.1%              84.9%

D1             3016             2488           17.5%              82.5%
D2             3049             2484           18.5%              81.5%

These cells are marketed as being able to retain 80% of their capacity after 6 months, but they are almost at 80% after only 3 months :thinking:

I know NiMh cells lose their charge quite quickly up front and then the capacity loss tapers off.
Hopefully these cells are at their really low capacity loss stage.

I have another set of D cells that were charged in late May that I can do a 6 month self-discharge test on in November.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've already thrown away two of my AAA ROV Hybrids myself for this very reason. Each one was used in a pairs situation, and quite suddenly one of the two in each pair would self-discharge noticeably and also provide significantly less capacity.

Well, add another AAA ROV Hybrid to the growing list that failed prematurely for me. Had one charged five months ago and set on the shelf, and today it was down to 0.85 volts. These AAA ROV Hybrids are really turning out to be a disappointment for me. Haven't had a single Enelopp AAA crap out on me, and I own about an equal number of them.