Rayovac Workhorse fluorescent lantern

Evan

Enlightened
Until recently RayOvac made a 2-6 watt flourescent lantern in the U.S. that I really like. I've bought several and taken a few apart. The circuit inside was really neat, it will run any T5 flourescent you connect to it from F4T5 to F13T5, and the smaller ones in combination.

The circuit seems simple, just 2 TO-92 transistors, a coil, two capacitors, and two resistors. I've traced the circuit and don't know how it does what it does, it seems to be a constant current source for the flourescents and somewhat regulated in that it does not draw more current at 15 volts than at 12. It draws about .1 amp + .21 amp for each 4 watts of series attached tubes. As delivered it takes .73 amp to to run the pair of 6 watt tubes.

If anybody can explain the circuit to me, I'd appreciate it.

Now there were some down sides. It takes 8 D cells and that's a lot of batteries (of course I've modded it to pull from a 12 volt 17 Ah gell cell or AC adapter) and it is dim to start when in the cold.

It seems to have been beaten out by a Coleman lantern that is made in China and looks much the same, except the Coleman takes 1.2 Amps to run the same 2 tubes at what appears to be about the same brightness -- that's a lot more than .73! The Coleman circuit is not nearly so simple and cool. It seems to just pull current and blast it out to the tubes without any regulation. The Coleman shares all the same down sides -- 8 batteries and flourescent tubes that are a little slow on the uptake in the cold -- yet it beat out what I concider a really superior lantern.

The market just doesn't seem to appreciate the hidden beauty of fine and elegant circuitry.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: RayOvac Workhorse Fourescent.

that is a little stepup inverter.
generates hf ac to drive the tubes.
just an oscilator that drives the primary of the transformer.

Evan

Enlightened
Re: RayOvac Workhorse Fourescent.

The impressive part is that in addition to doing the step up, it also appeares to be current regultated; unlike many simple inverters, this one is not just blasting out N watts of power, it reacts to the load and draws appropriate current.

midmichigan41

Newly Enlightened
Rayovac Workhorse florescent lantern

Today I got this out for camping. The batteries were all corroded so I took apart and cleaned in the sink. Put it back together and it doesn't work. I believe there is a small silver piece missing that is used on the back of the switch. I can see to copper tabs and the white plastic knob. Nothing connecting them though. Any help to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks, Julie

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Rayovac Workhorse florescent lantern

Welcome to CPF, Julie!

I'm not sure how much we will be able to help you with this, as it seems an old item and it is never good when batteries have corroded inside.

There is an old thread about it, so I'm going to merge your thread with it, and I'm then going to move it to the lanterns section here.

If yours can't be fixed, maybe there are some new ones being discussed there which might tempt you...

midmichigan41

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I kind of figured as much that it was a goner. I believe when I was cleaning it, the little metal part got washed down the drain. Everything cleaned up real nice, and looked workable.
I will be sure to look at the other lantern recommendations and pick one up.
Thanks again for you help.

Latest posts