Re: Suggestions for Budget Light [ 2 'AA', or 3 'AAA'] ~ $40 ?

Marc999

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys,

I'm new to the world of flashlights, yet am taking an interest in starting off with a budget light to see if it's a hobby I'd like to get into ;)

Currently own: Mini-mag 2 AA LED flashlight [high/low/strobe/sos]. Also some big *** C and D size incandescent maglites, yet I'm really not keen on lugging these around.

I have been eyeballing the shiningbeam website and come across a couple of interest:

Jetbeam BA20 XP-G R5 or the ITP SA2 XP-G R5.
[I'm quite tied between these 2]

Preferred:
(1) AA or AAA
(2) flood takes precedence over throw I think [i.e. galavanting around the backyard, going for walks, or camping uses]. I'd prefer to see as much around my immediate vicinity, rather than a few hundred yards away.
(3) 2 or more modes [low, high etc].
(4) click or twist doesn't matter.
(5) ~ $40, pre-shipping.

I also took a look at the Rominsen lights, but didn't find a multi-mode one. I like the idea of having low beam. I'm intrigued by ITP's digital adjustment UI, but am certainly open to any other suggestions based on ownership.

Also, where to purchase? Aside from shiningbeam, other websites you'd suggest?

cheers,
Marc

Last edited:

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened

Check out solarforce-sales dot com as well, there are several choices there in 3xAAA or 2xAA. You can pick up a L2i (3xAAA) body for about $10, and a nice 3-mode XP-G for $14.
Just make sure the voltage requirement of the dropin matches the batteries you will be using, so get the .8-4.2v one, preferably with 3-modes.

Romisens are decent lights, check out lighthound dot com as well for more stuff you might like. The Cheap chinese web sites like Manafont and Deal extreme have tons of lights that would fit your needs, on a budget scale, but you'll have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for delivery.

BTW, for $3 more than your budget, the S-Mini at Shining Beam gets great reviews, but you will need 18650 batteries in it so your budget goes even higher.

Last edited:

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened

Both the BA20 and SA2 are good choices. The Ba20 is very simple and easy to operate with basic two-mode operation. The SA2 meanwhile gives you great mode flexibility. Solarforce L2R's are also nice lights and give the option of easy future upgradeability. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Marc999

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of the SA2 for ramping up from 6 lumens to max. Say for reading a book all the way to walking/camping.

Yet, then again...BA20 has higher max.output.

Solarforce L2r AA 320 Lumens 3 mode R5 XP-G led Flashlight. This looks very impressive as well.

choices choices...

Marc999

Newly Enlightened

Hi guys, I'm going to bite the bullet and make purchases from shiningbeam:

(1) ITP A3 EOS XP-G R5 [or XP-E Q5....would I notice a difference between 80 and 96 lumens?]...1 AAA battery.

(2) Either Jetbeam BA20 XP-G R5 OR ITP SA2 XP-G R5 [Would I notice a difference between 230 vs. 270 lumens?]...2 AA batteries.

thanks for any final tips/suggestions,
Marc

flame2000

Enlightened

I have the JetBeam BA20 and the built is really good for the price one pays. I usually run it with Imedion 2400 or Sanyo 2500 Eneloop. Yesterday I ran it with Energizer Lithium L91 for a try and it's really bright. The extra 1 volt (3.4v vs 2.4v) does makes a huge different in output. :)

flame2000

Enlightened

I have the JetBeam BA20 and the built is really good for the price one pays. I usually run it with Imedion 2400 or Sanyo 2500 Eneloop. Yesterday I ran it with Energizer Lithium L91 for a try and it's really bright. The extra 1 volt (3.4v vs 2.4v) does makes a huge different in output. :)

Sorry for the double post. The site hang and I clicked twice!

Last edited:

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened

Don't forget the Solarforce host L2i, which will take 3xAAA batteries. It is a nice size for a host, as opposed to the long-bodied 2xAA