REALLY stupid question: Is it legal to drive without physically having headlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I was doing some work to my car and had the front appart. I have to go turn in a no front plate ticket tomorrow morning and am worried about driving a metaphorically bleeding car into shark infested waters. Daytime driving, no rain, fog, smoke or anything. Turn signals are separate too. The only thing it would be missing is corner amber reflectors. http://i.imgur.com/xdvWcrN.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
no front plate ticket tomorrow morning
I'm not a fan of front plates, so hopefully you can get that cleared by demonstrating you have a front license plate attached and that you'll *leave it there*. But driving around without headlamps? Even in the anticipated driving conditions, just about every single state requires a vehicle to have headlamps.

California law is clear on the subject:
VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 24400-24411

"24400. (a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall
be equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on
each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles
registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly
above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps
and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a
height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.}

Besides, don't you have to prove you have a front plate installed? Aren't they going to go out and inspect the vehicle? Brace yourself for getting your car impounded if they actually do go and inspect the vehicle.

Last edited:

fastgun

Enlightened
This is not a stupid question at all. Str8stroke has given the best answer. This forum has members from 4-5 continents so the answer must depend on local law.
In the USA the vast majority of states do require you to have this equipment and do not provide any wiggle room. Just because it is a sunny day does not negate the law. Again, your local law will be what matters.

The penalty for operating or allowing to to be operated in the various states can run from a fix-it ticket to infraction. In a limited number of states it could amount to a misdemenor upon conviction. In my state it is an inexpensive infraction.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not a stupid question at all. Str8stroke has given the best answer. This forum has members from 4-5 continents so the answer must depend on local law.
And his local law is California-- I pointed out the apposite California law.

Otherwise, it does depend on local laws but you'd be hard pressed to find a U.S. State, Commonwealth, or District that does not require headlamps on a vehicle. I'm pretty sure that drmalenko would have that vehicle towed to an impound lot straight away if he spotted this car in his own jurisdiction.

Last edited:

broadgage

Enlightened
Here in the UK headlights are required to be fitted and kept in working order, on all road going vehicles that had headlights when first built. So you can not remove headlights and lawfully use the vehicle on the road.
In the case of a vehicle built before headlights were required, there is no obligation to retrofit them. A historic vehicle built without headlights must be EITHER used only in conditions not requiring headlights, OR be equipped with "suitable" lighting in conditions requiring this. Portable headlights are fine on a vehicle not originally fitted with headlights.

A friend routinely drives a steam truck on public roads, this has oil front and rear marker lights and a portable battery headlight.
The portable battery headlight is also useful for horse drawn vehicles if these must be used after dark.

The law regarding correct lighting of modern cars etc. is very strict, but for historic vehicles is more relaxed.

fastgun

Enlightened
Can you post a picture?, I would enjoy seeing that vehicle.
I have seen antiques that burned a flame for headlights. Probably carbide.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Third time's a charm...

Moderator Edit
No, it's not. Your posts were deleted for Rule 11 violations, and that they are now replies to a non-existent message.

Alaric

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Third time's a charm...

Moderator Edit
No, it's not. Your posts were deleted for Rule 11 violations, and that they are now replies to a non-existent message.

Alaric

Mea Culpa...
I could not tell what was happening, did not notice anything but my browser choking. Sorry, Alaric, reviewing Rule 11 now. Thanks.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hi all!

I was doing some work to my car and had the front appart. I have to go turn in a no front plate ticket tomorrow morning and am worried about driving a metaphorically bleeding car into shark infested waters. Daytime driving, no rain, fog, smoke or anything. Turn signals are separate too. The only thing it would be missing is corner amber reflectors. http://i.imgur.com/xdvWcrN.jpg

In my state a car is supposed to be able to pass an annual inspection at any time it is on the road.
Part of passing that is it having original safety features on it at all times.

Moderator Edit
That's as much as needs to be said. Let's avoid more Rule 11 Violations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.