Recent Site Issues

bigburly912

I was just getting on here to post this bykfixer. I’m on the app on an Apple phone 99% of the time and it’s been almost unusable lately. I can still PM with no issue but as far as browsing the forums it’s not going well. Probably being eaten by spam bots and cyber creepers again.

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
FYI - it has NOT been a forum issue but a server issue. (I suppose you could say it's the same thing but not really). The server itself has been under attack by different areas in the world for I guess what amounts to a couple of months. It seems to go in waves. The only "fix" for it has been to ban entire countries from any and all access to the server... so at server level, not just at forum level. Currently I have had to blacklist China, Belize, Panama, and Romania. Sometimes it can take 12-24 hours for it to all work itself out.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding.

aginthelaw

Are you sure it’s romania or did they spoof their i. p. Address? My wife got a phone call from a robocaller and she said the number looked familiar. I then told her to call me and when I showed her the caller id, she realized they spoofed her own phone number. Just wondering if the attack could be coming from elsewhere

orbital

_____________________________^

the bot attack is likely spoofing its IP

..was something posted to pissoff ________x?

Greta

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you should mention spoofing... yes, actually. Belize was spoofing US IP's. But as this isn't my first rodeo and I kinda know about those things... well... I got it covered... ;)

FWIW... I don't just arbitrarily blacklist an entire country without doing a little bit of digging to make sure I got it right. Just sayin'.

aginthelaw

You’re amazing G! I’m gonna make it to the shot show private party one of these days so i can grovel at your feet and thank you first hand. After all, you made me the flashlight geek that i am

Cyclops942

CPF Supporter
Supporter
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Funny you should mention spoofing... yes, actually. Belize was spoofing US IP's. But as this isn't my first rodeo and I kinda know about those things... well... I got it covered... ;)

FWIW... I don't just arbitrarily blacklist an entire country without doing a little bit of digging to make sure I got it right. Just sayin'.

Having been a moderator on another board (with, thankfully, a MUCH smaller user-base), I have banned entire countries without much investigation... and then regretted it.

Greta, my hat is off to you for this and many other reasons. Keeping this board running is a full-time job, and then some!

bykfixer

CPF Supporter
Is it just at my end or is everybody on planet earth trying to post here today?
Seems like Sunday mornings (US eastern time) things really slow down.

jayflash

Not having been active on the CPF for some years, I had forgotten why I'd compose a longer post in word first. I've been having fun here, again, but forgot that old tidbit. Sure enough, as Murphy and his gremlins were playing on the CPF, the server got too busy and I lost my first long post. After groaning to myself, I smiled and laughed - my memory had been jogged.

Thanks, again, for this great site!!

bigburly912

unable to access via the app on iphone for most of the last few days. was finally able to get access on the web version. Hope this all gets straightened out. Thanks for the hard work, this has to be aggravating.

Got Lumens?

Not having been active on the CPF for some years, I had forgotten why I'd compose a longer post in word first. I've been having fun here, again, but forgot that old tidbit. Sure enough, as Murphy and his gremlins were playing on the CPF, the server got too busy and I lost my first long post. After groaning to myself, I smiled and laughed - my memory had been jogged.

Thanks, again, for this great site!!
Jay, depending upon your platform, I too have had this happen, many multiple times ,in the past ;). I have had much success with Typing Ctrl-A followed by Crtl-C before clicking the preview, Go advanced , or Post button's. That will copy your entire typed message and copy it. So You can paste it into a new window if necessary.
The other saving feature is the: "Restore Auto-Saved Content" graphic located at the bottom left of the Quick Reply editor window. If You need to refresh the current window due to lost communications followed by re-connect, clicking this should paste the last autosaved content into the refreshed blank window. Hope this helps(Desktop PC) GL.

PS I just had a bit of delay ago trying to post, before things working good :p

serverb.jpg

RPB

Hey folks, what’s been the issue with the site being down the last few days? Thx for all your work on this:D

RPB

Thx archimedes. I did see that thread but thought something else was going off.