Rechargables in Surefire

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I've decided to purchase my first Surefire. Being able to use rechargable Pilas or the new rechargable 123 is a must. Would someone in the know be kind enough to let me know which of the Surefires will take the Pilas? Could someone let me know if there are rechargable 123 that work in the Surefires. In other words, I want to get into the Surefires - but only if I'm able to use the rechargables. Many thanks.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know, at the moment you'll only be able to use rechargeables in the LED Surefires (L1 to L6, KL heads, the U2). This is because both Pilas and CR123R's have a peak voltage above 3V - so they'll blow any Surefire incandescent bulbs.

If you use spacers so that you run under the rated Voltage of the bulb you risk shortening the life of the bulb as the wires won't burn clean of deposits unless they're run close to rated voltage.

One notable incan exception is running the M3 with 2 Pila 150S, although a small number of us have had teething problems getting this to work - getting decent contact as 2xPila 150 are very slightly longer than the 3x123 which the M3 is designed for.

JS Burley is currently developing some R123's with 3V peak. He already stocks some with a higher peak voltage (with discharge protection). Btw I've been told that you shouldn't run more than 2 R123's together due to dangers with uneven discharge - causing one battery to recharge the other.

You may want to do a search on R123s to learn more about them if you are thinking of progressing with these, as there are some very **important safety issues** to take in to consideration with Li-ion batts.

Hope this gets you started (I'm quite new myself so you're best off double-checking everything I've said),

Chris

sss

Newly Enlightened
I would also like to hear more about the use of rechargables in my Surefires. Thank you.

LightHearted

Enlightened
I hear you can use two 4.2v R123s in a 6P if you change the lamp to a P90 (direct replacement). See This web page. The cells MUST be protected though. I got mine from Battery Station for use with my QIII. I'm planning on doing this trick myself one day.

Cheers,
Ken

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using the 4.2v R123's in my old 6P with a P90 bulb now just as the link above details. (the P91 doesn't work).
It is the protected batteries that allow this to happen. I am very happy with it. You cannot tell the difference between the function of the orignal 6P and this setup other than it is much brighter. I recommend it.

I am using Pila 168s rechargables in my Surefire L4 and E2e with KL1 head. They also work identical to CR123's.

Finally, I am using two Pila 150s rechargables in my Surefire 9P with the P91 bulb. This setup works well but not as seamlessly as the other applications above.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
The 6P (or any other P60-using Surefire) can use a 168S Pila rechargable, but only after replacing the lamp assembly with a Pila 3.7v lamp assembly.

The C3 can use 2 x 150S with the stock P90 or P91 lamp assembly.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the latest Lux III version of the SF L1 Lumamax. Anybody used the 3.8 v li-ion rechargeables in that light yet safely?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using 168A's in my U2 and I'm quite happy with it so far. I lost some light, but that's a fair trade-off.