Rechargeable Lantern...Suggestions?

DDS

Enlightened
My brother is an electrician and he called me last night and told me to buy him a "powerful , bright, recharg., pivoting head lantern"! Since I am the flashlight fanatic in the family, he deferred to my so called "expertise" :)! At the time, he was doing a heavy-up in a dark basement and, needless to say, was quite frustrated with his mouth held maglight. Can you guys give me some suggestion on a good recharg lantern that can be set down and the head can pivot? Thanks! Dave

arioch

Enlightened
DDS:

Based on your brother's line of work and his specifications, I would recommend one of Makita's line of flashlights. They are rechargeable, have pivoting heads, and are impressively bright, with adjustable focus. They are versatile enough to be used as a regular flashlight (though a tad large) or as an area work light.

Although I don't have one, I did get the chance to use a friend's model, and I thought it was a well made light.
smile.gif

You can look here for pictures and descriptions:

www.toolsforless.com/cgi-bin/ToolList.pl?softcartcategory=AccessoriesFlashlight&mfr-name=Makita+page=3

This is just one of numerous companies selling the Makita brand of lights; I would shop around for best prices.

Good luck!
grin.gif
grin.gif

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
DDS,
If size is not to important you might want to look at the StreamLight LiteBox . The lower wattage version, 8 watts, has a listed 8 hour runtime. Since you mentioned mouth-held maglite, you might want to suggest he get a headlamp also.
Regards,
Greg

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would cast another vote for one of those Makita lights. Basically, if you have the charger, flashlight and two batteries your all set. The spare battery can be charged faster than you can discharge the other in the flashlight. So you basically have a limitless supply of light.

I found that setup to be perfect for installing my gas line and insulation in my crawlspace. Plenty enough light and quick any easy to swap out batteries.

One bad thing, the light's beam is not very good (compared to surefire et al). Lots of rings and imperfections, but for work like what I was doing it worked out perfect.

DDS

Enlightened
I would like to thank you guys for taking the time to reply. I will pass the information to my brother.

Happy Holdays! Dave