Recomendation for Duck Hunting / Boating

ppedison

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a tight beam for running my boat in the dark and spotting channel markers, landmarks, etc. In the past I have typically used a q-beam type spotlight but find that the reflection off the boat (I drive from the back) blinds me. It is also often foggy and the q-beam is mostly useless in that case. Would like to have it reach out to find a reflective channel marker 150 - 200 yards away. It would need to be handheld for one handed operation and at least water resistant if not a bit more (laying in bottom of boat in a little water, etc. Worst case dropped overboard.) $150.00 would be about the most I would want to spend.

Thanks!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
__X__Up to $200.
____Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
_X___MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
__X__I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

__X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
__X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
__X__I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
__X__Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
_X___I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
____None needed
__X__IPX4 (Splash resistant)
__X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
_X___In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that warmer colors/tints tend to cut through fog better, and you're looking for something with a pencil thin beam that won't hit the boat in front of you. With those requirements, I would suggest the Armytek Barracuda XM-L2 Warm. It runs on either two 18650 rechargeable batteries, or four CR123 batteries, so it doesn't meet your C/D battery criteria, but you can pick up a pair of protected Panasonic 18650 batteries for about $22, and a decent i2 Intellicharger for about $15. with the cost of the light coming in around $140, you're still going to be under your budget.

Here's a link to a review with some beam shots to give you an idea of it's performance. Keep in mind the review is done with the "cool white" version, not the "warm" version.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rower-quot-XM-L-U2-2x18650-4x(R)CR123A-Review

ppedison

Newly Enlightened
How would the Armytek compare to this one which does appear to use D Cells? Anybody familiar with this Marinebeam Light?

Marinebeam Ultra Long Range CREE RLT Illuminator

Link removed as per he banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would the Armytek compare to this one which does appear to use D Cells? Anybody familiar with this Marinebeam Light?

Marinebeam Ultra Long Range CREE RLT Illuminator

Link removed as per he banner at the top of the page - Norm

Didn't find much online. Seems pretty pricey for what is basically an aspheric lens on a maglite...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/the-flashlight-thread-128039.html#post1566031

http://www.passagemaker.com/article...ht-tested-marinekinetix-wind-turbine-admired/

Last edited by a moderator:

tubed

Enlightened
As a fellow boater, I know exactly your dilemma of wanting to hit channel markers but not bounce back in your face off the white boat. I spent a long time looking for just the right light. Much of what you're looking for in a light with these requirements comes down to the emitter and the head. There are two common powerful emitters - the XPG-2 and the XMLs. The XPG-2 produces the more narrow far-reaching beam but gives a smaller bright spot (more laser-like). As for heads, a larger and longer head will project farther. A small short head will give flood.
My problem was that I also wanted some spread (flood) to be able to pick up lobster pots, etc) but too much flood bounced back and I also wanted maximum throw for the size (pocketable in my case) so I ended up getting an XML light with a large, long head --- the Eagletac S200c2. I like it very much but there is some bounce back (I drive a center console).

Some far throwing XPG-2 lights are:
-Fourseven quark turbo QB2A
-Surefire G2X (and other surefires)
- Armytek Predator series lights

Only the Foursevens (of those listed) takes AA-type batteries

Good luck
PS - if you're going to boat at night it's very helpful to have light that you can cram in pocket quickly when you need two hands and to have one-handed operation (other on boat). Also, it's good to have a really low low so you can look around the boat and not destroy your night vision. Many lights fall short in regards to both these qualities so you might want to pay attention to that as well

Last edited:

Marinebeam

Newly Enlightened

One interesting thing about the "instant-expert" aspect of the internet is that there are lots of opinions, but very few facts. Here are the facts:

You couldn't be more incorrect about the Marinebeam Long Range Illuminator being basically a Maglite with an aspherical Lens. We paid a lot of money for the patented RLT technology specifically because we saw that we can get gains of up to 2.5X in brightness with ANY LED flashlight. As far as it being pricey, I recently visited Cabela's, and purchased a number of $150-$200 LED flashlights. None came anywhere near the output of the Illuminator, and some had large amounts of spill-over, which makes them very difficult to use on a boat. Even their $279 laser-based flashlight didn't have the throw that the Marinebeam Illuminator does.

Said another way, if you searched the planet to find the brightest LED flashlight with an aspherical lens, and then sent it to us, we could then add our RLT collar to that flashlight and instantly make it up to 2.5X brighter and increase its throw drastically. Same flashlight, same lens, same LED, same power. No relationships of focal length changes either. Just a precise alignment of our collar.

That is the amazing thing about the technology. It is applicable to almost any white LED, and is a passive device. Once you understand it, you will be amazed that no-one thought of it before.

In the early stages of our production, we are essentially producing flashlights based on existing components, so that may be where your confusion comes from, as many production flashlights have a similar look. We have already licensed this technology to other manufacturers, and will expand our line of flashlights soon.

If you want to understand it precisely, so you can spread the gospel, just give me a call.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that I will be forgiven for going off-topic, but I do strongly feel that some things should be addressed here immediately in the name of community and honesty.

I have no dog in this fight, but in the wake of recent, blatant trolling on this fine forum I am dismayed at the post made by new poster (member since '09, but only 3 posts at this time) Marinebeam. If I am out of line for the following post, I will happily delete it if requested to do so by a moderator.

One interesting thing about the "instant-expert" aspect of the internet is that there are lots of opinions, but very few facts.

Marinebeam, I see that you are new to posting here. I would welcome you, but I'm afraid that you're off to a very poor start with this post.

Here are the facts:

OK, let's see some facts.

You couldn't be more incorrect about the Marinebeam Long Range Illuminator being basically a Maglite with an aspherical Lens.

This is not a factual statement. It is also rather inflammatory and rude.

*We paid a **lot of money for the patented RLT technology specifically because we saw that ***we can get gains of up to 2.5X in brightness with ANY LED flashlight.

*Who is we? Are you the official Marinebeam representative on CPF? If so, perhaps you should state as such, and if indeed, I apologize for being confrontational about it - but I will need verification from a Mod, as anyone can make an account with a business' name as their user name.

**This statement is not a fact. A number could be a fact if it is true; "a lot of money" is an opinion.

***This statement would need some rather serious verification to be considered a fact. As it is, it is simply an outrageous internet statement made by a rude newcomer.

As far as it being pricey, I recently visited Cabela's, and purchased a number of $150-$200 LED flashlights.

This may or may not be a fact, but even if it is (and we don't know it to be because it's just a rude newcomer's internet claim), it is very loosely stated: this is not a 'factual statement' but rather a simple statement.

None came anywhere near the output of the Illuminator,

No numbers? Not a fact, just a statement.

and some had large amounts of spill-over, which makes them very difficult to use on a boat.

Two more opinions; neither stated opinions are facts.

Even their $279 laser-based flashlight didn't have the throw that the Marinebeam Illuminator does.

No numbers? Not a fact, a simple statement.

Said another way, if you searched the planet to find the brightest LED flashlight with an aspherical lens, and then sent it to us, we could then add our RLT collar to that flashlight and instantly make it up to 2.5X brighter and increase its throw drastically. Same flashlight, same lens, same LED, same power. No relationships of focal length changes either. Just a precise alignment of our collar.

That is the amazing thing about the technology. It is applicable to almost any white LED, and is a passive device. Once you understand it, you will be amazed that no-one thought of it before.

Again, no facts here, just internet statements.

In the early stages of our production, we are essentially producing flashlights based on existing components, so that may be where your confusion comes from, as many production flashlights have a similar look. We have already licensed this technology to other manufacturers, and will expand our line of flashlights soon.

Need verification, as above: rude-newcomer status does not hold the same sway as official-manufacturer status.

If you want to understand it precisely, so you can spread the gospel, just give me a call.

And now you're back to being rude and inflammatory.

This really is a great place with great people. Please show some respect, and please don't make untrue claims.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a DU member my self, who hunts out of Pecan Island & Grand Chenier and a flashaholic, I can share with you what I use with great success. Believe me, I have tried tons of combos. I will give MY OPINION. I will try not to be long winded. lol

For your main question. I would suggest a cool white light with a tight beam with good throw. Armytek is a killer suggestion. You could stop reading here if you want. lol But, I own one, but haven't taken it out to hunt yet. I will rectify that opening season.

Currently MY PERSONAL favorites to carry are:
Eagletac D25LC2 Neutral white Cree XP-G2 . This light has great throw. It isn't warm white, but bright white. I don't want warm white when going through marsh! I want bright, when it hits the white PVC poles or reflectors it bounces a strong reflection back. PERSONALLY< I find warm makes a barely noticeable improvement through the fog, but I find a tight beam with cool output helps ME find the bent up PVC poles and the reflectors more easily. I just sweep the light. It blows away the two "fog" lights mounted on the front. In fact we turn them off until we get to the blind. Someone sits at the bow of the boat (with the dog) and sweeps the light. The pilot standing in the back can see very well with this technique.

I like this light because it fits in the top shell holder of my waders. I trimmed one and made it slightly wider using a large diaper pen. Once in the blind, I keep this EagleTac clipped in my waders as a back up. lol

I also carry a Veleno Designs D2 around my neck, plus spare cell holder on a 24 inch SS ball chain. This has a super nice variable output. Giving me a super low mode that I can use in the blind and hold the light in my mouth while I get my gun, shells and calls set up.

For back up, I keep a EagleTac D25C in my blind bag. Along with spare cells. I also use a old beater SF KROMA. I use the KROMA alot in the blind in the BLUE light mode. Works great.

I have lanyards on all lights. I also have a floating keychain thing, like you use in a boat, for the D25C and KROMA. I hunt in two different type blinds. One has a open wood platform. So I am usually at or under the water level by a few inches. Drop a shell or light and its gonna sink in the mud quickly. I unhook the floats when I am in the closed blind.

My final "light" is a laser. We hunt about 1.5 miles from 82. I have been stuck in the marsh a few times. So I like to have a way to signal. Haven't had to use it. But nice to have.

Anyways, thats enough rambling for me. Hope all that helps.

My hunting moto: "If it flys, it dies"!

That last part is a joke yall. So is post number 7. HA!

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is basically another try at selling a waiven collar in a light., it has failed miserably the first time they tried. i remember they had a fan cooled head on maglite d cell body. but their light had a lot more lummens than this moded defiant light

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that I will be forgiven for going off-topic, but I do strongly feel that some things should be addressed here immediately in the name of community and honesty.

There needs to be a "fist bump" smiley.

:twothumbs

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TK32. 950 OTF lumens, comes with a great holster, has an amazingly good beam, 40,000+ candela, only requires one 18650 and has the bonus of actually useful RGB

Marinebeam

Newly Enlightened
This post originated when a boater asked (in good faith) for recommendations for a good spotlight with minimum spillover, and under $150. The responding poster then recommended the Marinebeam as just one of several good options discussed in the thread. Then, another responded and said that the Marinebeam Illuminator seems like basically a Maglight with an Aspherical lens. It is not. And with all due-respect to the poster, his assessment on this one is not correct.

I was not trying to be rude, but rather rebutting that incorrect statement. There was nothing commercial about my post, and I am not a regular poster. I was notified by a happy customer who indicated that there was misinformation posted on this thread, and he suggested that I correct it. So, I think it is totally within the realm of fairness, considering my intimate knowledge on the subject, to have my say on a public forum that is dedicated to this topic.

BTW, I do not understand how my legitimacy, or the facts, are based on the number of posts that I have made on this forum. I am afraid if that is true, then my friend Ted, on Facebook, who posts a picture of his eggs every morning, must be a God. Also, because the Lord gave me 2 ears but only 1 mouth, I can't even contemplate making 334 posts since October 2014 (~3 per day??). I do have a life. As far as being a newcomer, please note that I have been a member in good-standing since 2009.

I am not interested in starting a flame war, but if anyone would like to truly understand the technology "off forum" I would be happy to discuss. It is pretty simple to understand, there is no magic, and once you understand it completely, then you can legitimately call it fact or fiction.

Charles L.

Enlightened
OP, have you looked at the Streamlight Waypoint? Rechargeable, water resistant, most of its beam is concentrated in a very tight hotspot for throw, and it floats.

Latest posts