Recommend a 1AA light for wife?

JJohn

Enlightened
Well, this last camping trip my wife has finally seen the light (pun intended). We arrived at our site after dark and setting up at night was only possible because I had a couple lights with me. She said, "You know these really are nice. Can you pick out one for me?" She was using my HDS U-60 but later switch to a modded Arc AAA, because it didn't fit in her pocket well.

Here is what she wants and I have no direct experience with anything that fits the bill:

1) AA battery - I have only used 123's and AAA for years. Oh well. (We'll use NiMH and L91's)

2) Small as possible (yet still 1AA)

3) Easy one handed operation

4) Two or three outputs levels but,

5) Must be a simple intuitive interface (she thought the U60 was too complex, "was it double-click, triple click, or double-click-hold again to make it really bright?")

6) I insist it is well made, efficient, and reliable. I also hate noticeable PWM flicker. So if it uses PWM it should have a high switching frequency. Cost is not a big driver but I would prefer not to exceed that of my HDS U60. She also complained that the beam of my mod was "too wide and getting in her eyes when trying to shine it forward". She liked the HDS beam.

Thanks, I appreciate any help,

John

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
http://www.dansdata.com/peakled2.htm

Peak Led Solutions: are one of the best AA flashlight you can get.
3peaks280.jpg

PKEAA1HHK.jpg

The final photo shows The Peak LED Kilmanjaro AA Hard Anodized has a lightweight aluminum body and "key-ring" style. The "key-ring" style uses a detachable part that may be unscrewed from the battery compartment. This makes it easy to use the light without keys attached, and allows the light to stand on end. Expect 8 hrs full brightness, 4 additional hrs at 50 percent brightness

you can get it at:
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Kilmanjaro_AA,_Single_LED,_HA,_KEY_CHAIN,_High_Power.php

aml

Newly Enlightened
that new rexlight from kaidomain is only 30 bucks.

has a few modes, UI seems simple enough....

seems to fit your needs..price is right.

cannot comment on the reliability of the design however, its a new product.

What about the fenix l1d-ce?

r0b0r

Enlightened
L1D is fantastic, though it isn't the smallest 1xAA light that's out there. Bright, simple to use and great runtime.

Why does she want the AA form factor? They are a fair bit bigger than the Arc - have you thought about one of those nice looking custom Cree\Seoul Arc mods that someone's producing on the forum? Can't remember who, a search would probably have luck.

AA would be a fine handbag light, but for keys \ pocketing a AAA would be a better. idea

Jadepp

Newly Enlightened
My wife snatched the new Jetbeam Cl-e that came in last week. Fit perfectly in her purse. But if you don't like PWM then I'll say get the Fenix L1d-ce. I have the L2d-ce and I love the output and easy to operate UI.

r0b0r

Enlightened
The more I use the L1D the more I love that interface.

Lack of momentary on is *almost* negated by how damn well they've embraced the attributes of the reverse clicky!

(In high powered single mode lights, however, I despise reverse clickies. Push momentary twist on is fine by me, a la X5, but reverse is vile. And the switch on the MTE Z Power hi off lo off is just an ABOMINATION!!!!! I'd rather a pure twisty, atleast then you can use the play in the threads. My LR12 kinda works like this, though the little tacker is pretty small to do it comfortably)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am betting the new X1 will be a great light for your purpose. The higher powered LED it is purported to have, and the Inova X1 tank-like build quality makes for a great light.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
r0b0r said:
Lack of momentary on

You can fake a momentary on by turning the light on and unscrewing the tailcap a little.

JJohn

Enlightened
I tried to convince her that a modded Arc like I have is the right answer. She said it felt too small and she worried about losing it. She wants it for camping (jacket pocket) and to put in her purse. I'll look at the Innova, Peak, and the L1D, I was not sure how simple the L1D UI was. She is guilty of not even wanting to figure out how to change the clocks in the house after a time change...

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Arc AA FS on the forum right now?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one has yet mentioned the Lumapower M3. I don't yet own one, but I thought it looked good enough to place an order. The reviews I've seen suggest the build quality is excellent. The price is less than an HDS. It runs on AA cells, either one or two. And it can run on a single CR123A cell as well. All body tubes for the various battery options are included with the standard package.

The user interface seems straight forward. There are only three settings - low, medium and high. There is no strobe or SOS modes to get in the way of things. I hear it does use PWM for the low setting, but users report they don't notice any flickering.

If there's a down side, it seems that the M3 is a bit larger than other AA powered lights. It's about 4 1/3 inch long with the AA body, and about 7/8 inch diameter.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the L1d would be good , but if she is really no offense a " bit ditzy" you may have to show her and have her go through the motions of selecting outputs practicing ....cuz you click it on and when changing outputs you dont click it you just softly press the clicky & then theres the turbo mode when head is screwed all the way down ,this is just 2 levels max & strobe...its simple but you may just have to make sure she gets it before you send her off in the world using it :)

Last edited:

rolling

Enlightened
JJohn said:
I tried to convince her that a modded Arc like I have is the right answer. She said it felt too small and she worried about losing it. She wants it for camping (jacket pocket) and to put in her purse. I'll look at the Innova, Peak, and the L1D, I was not sure how simple the L1D UI was. She is guilty of not even wanting to figure out how to change the clocks in the house after a time change...

The L1D UI: http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/fishshooter/?action=view&current=FenixL1D.flv

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
She might just like the Civictor V1. No multilevels, but it's simple, cheap, and about as small a 1 watt AA as you'll find.

Geoff

Edro

Newly Enlightened

JJohn

Enlightened
I really wish Fenix would have an option for turning off the whole turbo mode thing on the L1D-CE. That would simplify things greatly and I expect that few people really need the strobe and full power mode. Why not just use the high setting? I don't see a 1AA light as a useful tactical light that these modes are trying to pretend it is.

Perhaps I can mod it to eliminate these modes. This seems to be the best option as most of the other suggestions are either not yet available or single stage.

I personally think the right option would be a twisty that went low-med-high and nothing more. Oh well, maybe we are both retro types.

I have three weeks before our next trip so I only have a week or so to pick out something for her.

rolling

Enlightened
No, i didnt make that video. I think i found it somewhere here on CPF. I saved the link because i liked it too.
I would say your wife would be fine with a L1D-CE, the UI is very easy, if you dont need the turbo mode than dont twist it :)