Recommend A Book, Part II

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sorta' like watching a Discovery Channel
special on the EMP event.

Nonfiction EMP, roger that. Haven't read any myself, but you'll be glad to know that there's no shortage of choices thanks to Amazon's self-publishing system; survival is one of the top-selling subjects for these books, resulting in a deluge of new titles on the topic in just the last 2-3 years. The highest-rated of these specific to the EMP subject is Disaster Preparedness for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms, by NASA Engineer Dr. Arthur Bradley. Seven bucks for the Kindle copy.

OTde6EQ.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Had no clue there were any good non-fiction EMP books out there.
Will have to check that one out myself. Thanks S.H.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Black Echo, Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch #1) 1992.

Recently finished the amazon Bosch series and Titus Welliver will from now on will be Bosch whenever I read any from the series. There are a couple spinoff series from Bosh; Renee Ballard series and the Lincoln Lawyer series (Matthew McConaughey).

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
x800.jpg

Extremely well-researched reporting on crimes that terrorized suburban California for decades.
All the more compelling as this monster was finally arrested last April after 40 years!

As a native Californian I recall the news coverage of these crimes, but not with the same intensity as those who lived in the area.

dexters

Newly Enlightened
I like to read japanese novels. I am college student and my major is japanese language. So such kinds of books are interesting to me. Now I working on literature review. I will write about Ryo Murakami. But I want to get some help with it. For example, I found article about definition essay on h which i need to write in the near future

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, Dr. Matthew P. Walker (2017).

Another book that changed my life (the first being Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It). Being diagnosed with sleep apnea back in June of 2018, I've been focused on sleep. This book reveals the recently learned importance of sleep; to memory, cleaning house in the brain, organ health, etc. He identifies the drawbacks of not getting your 7-9 hours of sleep nightly (he allots 9 hours a night himself) and that you can never make up for lost sleep. Naps? Does not make up for lack of sleep. Covers the animal world in that nearly every living creature sleeps. Some birds sleep with only half their brain, and if they are at the end of a line of birds on a branch, they can keep the outer eye / that half of the brain awake - keeping watch. I have the kindle ebook and got me a hard copy for reference.

More resources:

Dr. Matthew Walker on Sleep for Enhancing Learning, Creativity, Immunity, and Glymphatic System 2-28-19

#47 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part I of III: Dangers of poor sleep, Alzheimer's risk, mental health, memory consolidation, and more

deep, slow-wave sleep is vital Dr. Rhonda Patrick ig

Last edited:
Sailing Alone Around the World.

First person to do this, 1896! Written by a sea captain who restored a small boat and sailed around the world. This was during a time when some still thought the world was flat. A spectacular portrait of times in the late 1800s.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
51fYdo03YTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Very well researched telling of this outrageous So Cal bank robbery/shootout that preceded and probably exceeded the North Hollywood shootout. I remember following this when it happened only a few miles away, but wasn't privy to the motivation and planning. First major use of "assault-type" rifles that I recall in a bank robbery. Since it occured in a rural somewhat remote area it never that much attention at the time.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole #18 / Joe Pike #7), Robert Crais 2019.

One of a few series I follow religiously. Elvis Cole or Joe Pike, and Crais has at least a couple more (one is a German Sheppard - Maggie series).

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unintended Consequences by John Ross. Published in 1996 and the writer wrote it to warn of coming times and to prevent what the book is about. Very powerful and The ATF even attempted to prevent the book from being published. In addition it was banned in Canada from what I found doing research.
John Ross was from St Louis.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unintended Consequences by John Ross. Published in 1996 and the writer wrote it to warn of coming times and to prevent what the book is about. Very powerful and The ATF even attempted to prevent the book from being published. In addition it was banned in Canada from what I found doing research.
John Ross was from St Louis.

Yes, a truly excellent novel. I still have my early edition of it. It literally changed policy. But of course there will never be open admission of that fact. After the book was published, all of a sudden there were no more heavily armed Federal raids on compounds full of Americans who simply wanted to be left alone. (Apparently that's a crime, or at least it was.) Enough years have gone by that we can now see that was the case.

Like Upton Sinclair's book "The Jungle," "Unintended Consequences" is one of the most influential books in American history. Having literally changed policy and how things are done in America. Though nowadays the powers that be are content to never mention it, and are happy that it has mainly fallen into obscurity.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Mainly logic & common sense,
SAS Survival Handbook, Third Edition
is a good refresher/hone your skills read.

For some reason it's stayed on my nightstand for several years,,,, maybe it's the orange lol

You can get a good used copy for about $10