Recommend A Book, Part II

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds interesting. Anything else in this style you can rec?
Compelling read...

lf

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CB367EB2-2C6D-466E-B76F-DCEB10A604D9.jpeg

Just released.
A documentary that tells what really happened. Much of the info recently discovered from the other side shows things were a lot different than portrayed by hollyweird and the lame-o press. This one should be a great moral boost to those who were there and knew the truth.

It also explains why America was there and showcases how different Asia would be had the communism been successfully spread throughout the region.

It's on my to read list asap.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
91HQ9HSVoOL.jpg

Great book covering the many changes and lineups over their career. Using detailed commentary with band members for an in-depth history of significant events and moments. A must read for long-time fans like myself who've followed them from the early '70s.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
04745E4E-23EA-4E9D-A32D-04FFADB33789.jpeg

I just received a good copy of the above book. True story collecting the letters and drawings Jolene sent to the lead singer of Skinny Puppy in the late 80's. Ogre saved and gave them back to her after meeting her at an SP show later on. I am anticipating teen angst at its finest. 😁

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
77C77794-066D-4421-ADB2-2132AB6BEA45.jpeg

I just finished this tragic and heartbreaking tale of the passengers and crew of the cruise ship Zaandam, trapped at sea in the early days of Covid 19. As someone who's been on numerous cruises (had 2 canceled due to Covid) it was difficult to read the misery and plight of these people.

Last edited:
I just finished this tragic and heartbreaking tale of the passengers and crew of the cruise ship Zaandam, trapped at sea in the early days of Covid 19. As someone who's been on numerous cruises (had 2 canceled due to Covid) it was difficult to read the misery and plight of these people.

This reminds me of the 1997 film, Titanic. I watched it once and was so bummed out knowing there was a great deal of reality being portrayed. I just could not understand how people could watch the film numerous times.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This reminds me of the 1997 film, Titanic. I watched it once and was so bummed out knowing there was a great deal of reality being portrayed. I just could not understand how people could watch the film numerous times.
I'm just happy my daughter wasn't there. She was the production show singer on the Amsterdam & Grand Princess for several years prior to Covid.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished this one. Very sad look at the four victims lives and a comprehensive examination of the investigation that led to suspected killers arrest. Highly recommended.
IMG_3042.jpeg

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Meaning of Everything by Simon Winchester is the fascinating story of the creation of the great Oxford English Dictionary. I read it when it first came out in 2003, and I read it again this month. A history of project and people more satisfying than any fiction.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"The Complete Book of Back to Basics Homesteading Guide."
By: Clive Harrison.

Talk about timing. Literally just uploaded a video review of this book to my main YouTube channel.... Yesterday! (No, there won't be a link. Not trying to give my main channel free advertising on CPF.)

One, it's only 62 pages. So, far from a complete guide. You won't find any instructions at all on how to prepare a chicken for the pot, best way to skin a rabbit, or best type of axe to use for tree felling, etc. None of that.

Essentially there's three parts. First three chapters deal with the reality headaches involved in even being able to legally create your homestead. Sorry guys, this is not 1860s America anymore. You literally cannot just go west (or mid-west) and buy land, then do whatever the hell you feel like doing with it. Rules, regulations, Federal, state, and local laws that can shut down your dreams of providing for you and your family with far more than a paycheck; all of it gets discussed.

Then there's other issues you likely didn't even consider. Such as, does the plot of land you are considering buying have a road attached to it? Or is it isolated, surrounded by land on all four sides belonging to other people? (Yes, ironically that happens.) Is one of your neighbors willing to let you drive through the road that is on his land, in order for you to get to yours? And, I mean on a daily basis! Also, even if your plot of land isn't isolated, did the previous owner allow his neighbors to use a portion of it for their needs? If so, don't expect them to just stop using that portion just because their friend and neighbor sold his land to you. The book does explain the best way to deal with that.

Last two chapters go into a bit of depth about gardening, and livestock respectively. Overall, this isn't a complete guide. But it is an excellent Primer worth reading for anyone even seriously considering getting into Homesteading as a new way of life.

yeoldoak

Newly Enlightened
If your into natures hidden world, this is most definitely an eye opening insight.
Just one eg of the tiny beasties mentioned within this book,
a parasite controlling a bug to crawl to a high spot of a plant so it can be eaten
by a bird, of which it can then manefest itself into its true being.
Makes you wonder what life could be like somewhere in the far reaches of space
if it can exist on earth, certainly where some get inspiration for sci fi horror films.

Parasite Rex.JPG

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
"The Betrothed" by Allesandro Manzoni.

After Dante's Divine Comedy, this work is widely considered to be the most important work ever written in Italian. It is credited with bringing the separate regional languages into unison to form the modern Italian language.

Some consider it to be must reading for any engaged or married person.

It is certainly a true classic that has stood the test of time for centuries.

See the New Yorker for a review: