Recommend a long throwing LED light?

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, so Fall and Winter are coming up which means more camping/riding trips coming up. Gives me an excuse to buy myself a new flashlight :thumbsup: I currently have a Fenix TK11, Fenix E12, and Streamlight Protac HL3. I like them all (Fenix Tk11 broke a few months ago though and lost receipt so it's in a junk drawer now though) but really want a rechargeable light that I can charge from the USB connectors in my truck. I'm kind of open to other charging methods as well though since my truck as AC outlet. I've been looking at the Fenix UC40UE, UC45 and even the new UC50 coming out. Only problem with those is that they are all not as bright as my HL 3 and throw over 100m less (according to ANSI chart). I really want a BRIGHT light that will THROW far as I can get since here in CA, we have tons of open riding areas. Can any of you guys recommend me something that fits that bill? Would like it to be waterproof and hopefully not to bulky. And if it's under $200ish that would be great too but not a deal breaker if not. Thanks! :popcorn:

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendation. Got side tracked and started looking at Vinh's other lights. I see a lot of talk about a Fenix Tk61 VN3 and it being titled as a "throw king". I wonder if that has all the features I want.

ven

Flashaholic
kj2 recommendation of the sr52vn imho is perfect,its a compact light compared to the tk61 and usb chargeable unlike the tk61.

Personally i found i would reach for the sr52vn 1st because of size,its 250kcd which is outstanding,can run in high for a long time without step downs etc...

Dont get me wrong,the tk61vn is a beast ,its a big light though and as awesome as it is i found i never use it. The sr52vn is my go to light.........and out throws many designated throwers a lot bigger.

Just thoughts:)

kj2

Flashaholic
kj2 recommendation of the sr52vn imho is perfect,its a compact light compared to the tk61 and usb chargeable unlike the tk61.
Personally i found i would reach for the sr52vn 1st because of size,its 250kcd which is outstanding,can run in high for a long time without step downs etc...
Dont get me wrong,the tk61vn is a beast ,its a big light though and as awesome as it is i found i never use it. The sr52vn is my go to light.........and out throws many designated throwers a lot bigger.
Just thoughts:)
Yup. My TK61 is more a shelf queen then a user, unlike my SR52vn. Although I really like that biga** reflector :D

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. Let's say I don't mind having a shelf queen, as I can carry my HL 3 on the go. Would the Tk61vn still be the longest throwing brightest rechargeable flashlight available?

ven

Flashaholic
Rechargeable as in cells used,its up there,you can not charge the cells in the light like the sr52/sr52vn

Longest throwing for $300 yes,if lucky,maybe on market the the deft X is the longest throwing but will require an investment of $800-$1000 ................and again you charge the cells as with the tk61vn(with a charger and not in the light)

Depends on use,your budget tbh.............

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies guys. Let's say I don't mind having a shelf queen, as I can carry my HL 3 on the go. Would the Tk61vn still be the longest throwing brightest rechargeable flashlight available?

With a light that charges the cells inside it, once drained, you HAVE to recharge it, and, you have darkness while you wait for hours for it to recharge, etc.

If you use a car charger to recharge cells, you can get two set of cells (Or as many as you like...) and simply swap in fresh ones when the ones in the light are drained. That way, you are never in the position of having a dead light as you would be with the type with only internal charging.

The TK61vn is your best bet for maximum range and being able to get one (The DEFTX can out throw it, but, good luck getting one for much under a grand or so...).

Is there a range that you'd like to be able to see something at? (Say, a man in dark clothes, a wolf, a white suited Elvis Impersonator?) in meters or yard away?

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
With a light that charges the cells inside it, once drained, you HAVE to recharge it, and, you have darkness while you wait for hours for it to recharge, etc.

If you use a car charger to recharge cells, you can get two set of cells (Or as many as you like...) and simply swap in fresh ones when the ones in the light are drained. That way, you are never in the position of having a dead light as you would be with the type with only internal charging.

The TK61vn is your best bet for maximum range and being able to get one (The DEFTX can out throw it, but, good luck getting one for much under a grand or so...).

Is there a range that you'd like to be able to see something at? (Say, a man in dark clothes, a wolf, a white suited Elvis Impersonator?) in meters or yard away?

thanks for the response, there is no set distance I want to see at just think the brighter and further the better. It's more of a show piece and to see how far I can reach with it on camping and riding trips. Is the tk61vn much brighter than the regular tk61vn?

Peace Train

Enlightened
thanks for the response, there is no set distance I want to see at just think the brighter and further the better. It's more of a show piece and to see how far I can reach with it on camping and riding trips. Is the tk61vn much brighter than the regular tk61vn?

original tk61vn thread with beam shots
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-1735-ANSI-Lumen-622-KCD&highlight=wts+tk61vn

current tk61vn V3
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?390749-TK61vn-V3

selfbuilt youtube review of original tk61vn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6fgYemaIcM

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for all the links! So the tk61vn v3 is the one I think I want. My brother has some vihn lights and says nothing but good things about them so it's good to know he does quality work.

ven

Flashaholic
Budget and a rough distance you would like to see,and how much of it you want to see at that distance would help advice:)

The tk61vn for the money is hard to beat,as said extra cells or extensions can be used(same as tk75 holder/ext) so you could run 8 cells for longer run time,even a total of 2 ext+ original so 12x18650................you may need another to help hold/carry it though :laughing:

On a serious note the tk61vn with ext should offer more than enough run time...........

Still at 250kcd the sr52vn for size and $$$ is a good choice,just easier to use due to being more compact,can run on high for ................well till light/ cells say no more basically.
Also its not just about lumens,the tk61vn be it 1700ish lumens is out thrown by the deft X 600 OTF lumens.........Reflector width/depth,led,de-dome all helps throw.

As TEEJ said and you have to be lucky to even find one for sale expect $1k ish............+

Out of the box,no mods,the tm36 offers around 300kcd but $4-500 light and again large...........this can be charged and comes with a battery pack with pre-installed 8x18650 2300mah cells.

After that i am struggling and good luck with choice:)

Last edited:

eak080934

Newly Enlightened
These can look nice to the eye. Costs vary a bit and often you cannot change a failed led as part of sealed unit . So check costs and light replacements etc.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
These can look nice to the eye. Costs vary a bit and often you cannot change a failed led as part of sealed unit . So check costs and light replacements etc.

Um, this sounds like a prequel to spam?

:shakehead

TEEJ

Flashaholic
These "can" be opened though...............and eaten :laughing:

Wait, SPAM can be EATEN?!?!?! :tinfoil::tinfoil:

:sick2::sick2::sick2:

:sick::sick::sick:

:green::green::green:

:toilet::toilet::toilet:

:barf::barf::barf:

candlenewb

Newly Enlightened
500px-Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Back to flashlight talk. Thanks again for the replies guys, I'm going to PM Vihn soon about ordering the TK61VN. Can't wait! lovecpf

Real quick question too, when buying a light will less lumens but further throw, is that because the hot spot is smaller?