Recommend general emergency light

kmonroe99

Newly Enlightened
Looking for light for use in apartment building/parking garage/general power off situations. Located in southeast Florida i.e. subject to hurricanes, severe storms, etc. Would like a wide flood for stairwells, rooms, parking areas etc. Smaller is better for purse/backpack carry.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Up to $100

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained)._________

4) Size:
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box)

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____Any size switch will do.
____I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)

Poppy

Flashaholic
It is amazing how little light you NEED to manage stairs once your eyes are adjusted to the darkness. Ten lumens is enough, many will say three is enough, and they wouldn't be wrong.

It has been said that the best flashlight is the one that you HAVE WITH YOU when needed. Therefore I'd recommend that you look at the lights that most "seasoned" people carry everyday. For the most part people carry single AA or single AAA lights. Either will fit nicely in a purse, most single AAA lights can even be carried on a key chain. Some are smaller than others.

If you also want a light for your apartment during a power outage, then I'd suggest that you read through this power outage thread to consider what others have said about the amount of light they are comfortable with and how many batteries is needed to power their lights for a few days to a week or more.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a FourSevens Quark Pro (QPA). They have different styles, but the 2xAA version will give you everything you need from a low mode that lasts weeks, to a high mode that will punch approx 50 yards away.

If you want something smaller, try the QPL or QPC which are single cell lights that run on 1xCR123.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
For a small light with a wide floody beam, check out the Armytek Tiara series. The light is a right angle style that is designed as a detachable headlamp. It's adjustable a little light to a lot of light. It comes with a pocket clip so you can carry it in a pocket, clipped to a shirt, jacket, hat, hold it in your hand, or it can sit on a table. Or wear it as a headlamp. You can choose AA or CR123 battery versions. Very versatile.