Recommend me a AA light

pencilsharpener

Newly Enlightened
I would like a AA light that's sort of like the Fenix tk11 in size and shape. It needs to be very bright with a decent throw. Any recommendations?

Raven18

Newly Enlightened
Definitely the quark turbo as others say. That is a darn good light.

Last edited:

Yamabushi

Enlightened
The Fenix TK11 is 128mm long x 25.4mm body x 34mm head, and outputs 258 lumens / 8940 cd.

The FourSevens Quark Turbo QB2A is about an inch longer and slightly narrower. It is advertised as 246 lumens but Selfbuilt's review shows 300 lumens / 8800 cd.

pencilsharpener

Newly Enlightened
I like the look of the quark turbo and might look into that.

edit: Are there any similar lights that are brighter?

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supporter
Did you have a look at the Malkoff AA MDC? I have the 16340 li-ion version and like the beam, the McClikcy and that it is very robust.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on Selfbuilt's reviews - it seems like the Quark Turbo 2AA is going to be one of the best, if not best, thrower in the 2AA class. I would also guess that the same holds true with that head run on 1xAA and 1xCR123 batt tubes, and it full supports 1x Li-ion as well (I run mine 1x14500). I also have the MDC AA and while it's a really nice build quality light - it's not in the same output/throw class.

The Nitecore EA2 is pretty close to the Quark though, and if you can stomach the beer can 3 or 4 xAA format, it'll be a huge step up.

pencilsharpener

Newly Enlightened
The Tk11 runs off cr123 batteries. I'm not a fan of them as they're hard to find where I live (and expensive) and I've heard they can be dangerous if you're not careful.

Trevtrain

Enlightened
The Shadow Mini TC6 is a very nice little light. Less than half the price of the quark turbo so not exactly in the same class but I am much more impressed with mine than I expected to be. 3 mode H L S driver is not a favourite but it has good output and a large head for a AA light so throw is respectable.

If you really want "modern day" performance from AA cells, you really need to look at something like the Sunwayman D40a but this isn't the form factor you asked for.

Consider the Olight S15 (2 AA with extension tube) in your search but keep in mind it is more floody than the Quark Turbo or Shadow.

UnderPar

Enlightened
At the same price with Quark Turbo QB2L, you may want to check the QT2L-X with burst mode. Though it runs on 2 x CR123A primary batteries but it can also run on 16650 batteries which is just a few mm bigger than the AA. Burst mode is at 780 lumens for 60 seconds and will gracefully step down on the next 30 seconds to 390 lumens. This is a real pocket rocket.

Revival

Newly Enlightened
At the same price with Quark Turbo QB2L, you may want to check the QT2L-X with burst mode. Though it runs on 2 x CR123A primary batteries but it can also run on 16650 batteries which is just a few mm bigger than the AA. Burst mode is at 780 lumens for 60 seconds and will gracefully step down on the next 30 seconds to 390 lumens. This is a real pocket rocket.

The QT2L-X is the first real light I owned and it is truely amazing. Its not much bigger than the QTA too.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember, lights that small lose some throw when you go with an XML instead of an xpg2.
A quark turbo with xpg is going to outhrow it's xml2 brother by 20% or so, even though it's half as bright for the first 1 min. Once it drops down, the xpg2 is going to walk all over it

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just remember, lights that small lose some throw when you go with an XML instead of an xpg2.
A quark turbo with xpg is going to outhrow it's xml2 brother by 20% or so, even though it's half as bright for the first 1 min. Once it drops down, the xpg2 is going to walk all over it

Sort of agree if comparing both emitters in the same sized head, although my gut is that a burst mode XML at ~3x the lumens of an XPG might out throw it on sheer power. The Turbo XMLs, however, have proportionally larger heads than the XPGs and retain good throw beams, along with more power.