Recommend me a light for nighttime hiking/badassery

beesechurgers

Newly Enlightened
Hey CPF! I've been researching lights/torches for a little bit and coincidentally got a Fenix PD25R for Christmas. I like the light but it wouldn't have been my ideal choice. I would have sought out something a touch longer, and with a more aggressive crenulated bezel for that sweet melee action. Coyotes in my neighborhood are crazy and they are always running up on me and my dog on late night walks. I filled out the form, hopefully it's helpful. Appreciate any insight!

1. Online or in-person purchase is fine
2. No budget, I will pay for the goods.
3. Flashlight - hand-held self-contained
4. Small - EDC 4-7 inches. (PD25R is 3.75", 5" would probably be max size for portability on walks/hikes)
5. Light Source: IDK... open to suggestion
6. American Made is always good but open to anything. Quality is king for me.
7. Power Source: Open to suggestion, seems like there is a lot of love for rechargeable Li-ion and I'm good with that.
7a. Don't care
8. OTF light: It's gotta be well-rounded so that I can light up the sidewalk/trail in front of me as well as the hillside full of coyotes stalking me (seriously). I'm thinking 300+ lumens
9. Flood vs. Throw: they are both important to me, please consider a good balance or dual capability. Think trail hiking, search and rescue.
9a. Less than 1 meter, 30-50 yards, and 50-150 yards. (all of the above)
10. Runtime: Has to handle a good 120 minutes in the field. Whether that's a mix of power levels for conservation or whatever, but I need some longevity.
11. Durability very important.
12. I seem to like the tail clicky, but open to suggestion. I do not love the location of the PD25R button to change strengths.
13. UI. I don't know
14. Material finish: I don't know.
15. Water Resistance: IPX7 at least.
16. Storage: House/EmergencyKit/Glove-box
17. Extras: Pocket clip on the PD25R is nice! Extra-crenulated bezel for smashing yotes.

I hope this is helpful, thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

You are not going to be beating off Coyotes with your flashlight. You want your hands free. Use a headlight with a good flood, which are nice for walking if not too foggy, and then get something that's more of a thrower. Nothing is more reliable than redundancy anyway.

Reactions: hsa

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
38601967.png

beesechurgers

Newly Enlightened
Haha thanks everyone. I'm surely not going to use my flashlight as a primary weapon but it can't hurt to have a spiked bezel, right? I am half joking about the melee but it's something I'd like to have. I've had to chase off the aggressive coyotes a couple times - they don't *really* want any of the action - but stranger things have happened.

I have some headlamps but I just don't like wearing them for walks, mostly when I'm working on a project or a car or something.

I have some headlamps but I just don't like wearing them for walks, mostly when I'm working on a project or a car or something.

What I find with people and headlights:
- Their headlight is too bright
- Their headlight beam is too much of a spot and/or blotchy
- Their headlight is too heavy

If you are walking / hiking in a dark area (not running), a 100 lumens is more than enough. A nice smooth not too narrow beam is perfect. Keep the weight down. Not up on the latest, but an Armytek C1 would give you a 100 lumens for 2 hours and can go way brighter when needed.

You can also get chest mounted lights. The are popular with runners.

I used to feel like you do till I got better headlights, and they don't need to be expensive.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If hiking through woods trail, as I discovered a few weeks ago, very bright lights, 350+ lumens, bounce off close trees into the eyes and ruin dark adaptation. Bright lights really need a lot of space. 80Lm was plenty for a path, though a bright light is nice to shoot through trees once in a while, just not walking with it, or you have to keep it pointed at a steep angle to avoid the bounce back. But on a sidewalk on a street with street lamps, I would want a light bright enough that doesn't get swallowed, as bright as a car headlight. I don't think most walk around with a light that bright, but use as more of a task thrower.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my daily night walks I like to carry my Hound Dog aswell as my M61W on a MD21700. I found that both fit into my coat pocket just fine, im sure the same would be true for most modern jacket pockets. Of cause im not sure what your pockets look like.

Regular HD head is slimmer then a Super HD & is available with a crenelated bezel. Ive found the HD to be a quite effective striking implement (+ as a bonus, you can keep using it afterwards, unlike some less durable designs).

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fits in pocket, rather aggressive frame, with 26650 or 18650 it should last 2 hours, but you need to buy a P60 module with suitable characteristics

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Elzetta Bravo hi/lo with a high candella head can toss a beam way off in the distance without self blinding the user in dense brush and trees. You get enough spill to see around you but not so much that you feel like you're a walking light bulb.

For a real small light the new Maglite MagTac 2 is a thrower that easily fits in a trouser pocket.

Whatever you choose add an Elzetta lanyard ring and wrist strap. Turns your little lighting tool into a centrifugal self defense device if ever needed. Nothing like a little Chuck Norris nun chuck to the cye-ote action to get your blood flowin'.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the Made in USA light...Surefire EDCL2-T
Or the made elsewhere light, Olight Warrior 3.