Recommend me a nightstand flashlight

ven

Flashaholic
I think the SWM V11r makes a pretty good candidate, AA,14500,123,16340 compatible,ok not two modes as initiate control ring to dial in anywhere from sub lumen to around 500. Can be dialed in before using the rear clicky which is a forward clicky too. Great for a quick scan without any...........well clicking.

So ideally set to what ever level you want,little tweak of the ring to up the output...........great UI imo and so user friendly.

Very low

With extension for AA/14500 cells

Still after all this time, its one of my all time fav little lights for edc uses too............

ven

Flashaholic
Klarus P1A
$38
Single AA
Forward clicky
Low 11 lumens for 28 hours
High 150 lumens for 1.5 hours

Head loose = low mode
Head tight = high mode

Stupid simple.

+1 to this,missed this one

I had one as a work edc till lost:((was found by someone and ended up giving it them months on..........after finding out they found it!!!). Clip broke and klarus let me down,that aside it was so easy to use. IIRC i only paid about £16 at the time from BG(gone up since) which made it even better!!!. Great beater light,so useful and always ..........till lost :laughing: .........in my pocket.

Some times "stupid simple" is fantastic :) head loose or tight.........fantastic imo.

ven

Flashaholic
Blast from the past, spot the p1a :laughing: ..............only 74 pages and over 1600 pics of lights to find(think i did well there)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
+1 to this,missed this one

I had one as a work edc till lost:((was found by someone and ended up giving it them months on..........after finding out they found it!!!). Clip broke and klarus let me down,that aside it was so easy to use. IIRC i only paid about £16 at the time from BG(gone up since) which made it even better!!!. Great beater light,so useful and always ..........till lost :laughing: .........in my pocket.

Some times "stupid simple" is fantastic :) head loose or tight.........fantastic imo.

Around $40 US now.

Found one at a local cop shop 20 minutes from my home. $0 s&h, so instead of driving there...

Streamlight Scorpion HL just showed up...gotta go.

Gary007

Newly Enlightened
My suggestion is a little more than $80:

Malkoff MDC HA 2-AA flashlight.

Modes: 3/25/250 lumens

The high mode is 250, and you have two extra lower modes, and they run $109.00

I have one at my bedside along with 3 Zebralights.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to suggest the L11 and Zebralights as well.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nitecore EA41 at my beside... I use rechargeable Eneloop batteries as it does have a small standby drain. The 1000 lumens is useful to illuminate my yard through any *window* :)

duvallite

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight PolyTac LED can be had for around $35. Programmable, and has 275 lumens on high, 14 lumens on low, and also has a nice strobe feature if needed. Takes 2 CR123A batteries, and like ForrestChump said, spend the balance of your budget on good CR123 batteries, and you are good to go for a very long time. I'm currently using the older version of this light as my nightstand light.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought...I tried a 2 AA light on my nightstand. It fell over constantly as it had a high center of gravity. Might want to consider that when choosing.

holygeez03

Enlightened
My nightstand light is a H502c... before it gets dark I turn it on at the 0.04 lumen mode... then I have just enough light to find my way to bed and find anything I need before going to bed... if I need a little more light, I double-click to the 2 lumen mode, which is plenty of light and with very little lux to hurt my eyes or disturb my wife. The AA Eneloop lasts weeks/months this way. If I ever need more light, I could use the higher modes, but I never do with this light.

I also have a ~2"x2" block with a hole drilled in it that keeps the light from falling over. The right-angle of the light allows me to point the beam at a wall and bounce it off that so I am never looking directly at the LED.

It's hard to explain, but this setup works very well as a nightstand light. I also use the same setup when travelling.

Danielsan

Enlightened
My nightstand light is a sunwayman d20a because its small and its not tube shaped plus it has an extra red LED. I use the red LED at night because its pleasant to the eyes when i go to the toilett for example. It uses 2xaa eneloops. Of course i have much more lights and i prefer even smaller li/ion lights for edc and larger lights around the house. So i use the sunwayman as a toilet light : )

ven

Flashaholic
You know what, i think the fenix cl20 would be a good bed side light on low

I know not a flashlight, but sure is a handy light to have:) not too cool either,more neutral

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a great idea ! Plus one on the control ring lights too, very simple. Mines a nitecore ife1.

phosphor22

Enlightened
Ditto the Zebralight SC52 (and probably the SC5 which I will soon try I think) - its great for the reasons stated below, and because you do not have to locate and activate a tail clicky switch first - its all on one easy-to-find side switch - once you get used to the interface it's a breeze. If there was a space for a trit slot on it for locating it easily in the dark it would be perfect.

I use either a Zebralight SC52 or a SC5 on my nightstand. 1xAA lights. You can program in the level of low and high
ou want. Short click for high, longer press for low. (Also can program a medium mode, but it takes 2 clicks to come on in that mode.)

I also like the Armytek Prime A1 or A2. It has mode memory, so you can leave it on the output level you want (or long press to start in a firefly mode, then hold to cycle up). If you need high, double-click for max (350-500 lumens, depending on model). Or, cycle up through the modes by holding down the on button, until you get to the brightness you need.

I also like the old 4sevens Quark Tactical lights, you could program the 2 modes you want. But, they no longer make them.

Bill S.

Newly Enlightened
Another emphatic yes for the L11c. I keep the previous L10 w/Nichia (twisty) on my nightstand and with the four modes and sub-lumen start every time it is perfect. Just used it a few days ago. The L11c's .09 lumens will be quite enough at 3AM.

Last edited: