Recommend me a rechargeable replacement for Ledlenser M1

Tali

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacement for my work light, which is a Ledlenser M1. I'd ideally like something with the same variable focus as my current light, and a dim/bright mode would be good too. Ticking off the items in the checklist, here are the answers for what I'd like:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I'm not really fussed one way or the other, but I'm guessing it will end up being an online purchase. I live in Australia, so availability here needs to factor in.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
Up to $200, give or take. I'm flexible though.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

TINY - SMALL, Every day carry, 2-5 inches.

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
Either of these is fine:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
I want a rechargeable light, so any of the below option are okay. I probably lean towards an integrated rechargeable battery pack for charging at work without needing separate battery chargers and bits and pieces.

I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
Or
I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
Or
I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
I need to be able to use at close range in an enclosed environment to read things and snoop around etc, and I also need to be able to illuminate areas that I can't reach typically at a range of around 30m or so (around 100ft). Hence I'm probably somewhere within the below options.

I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

This is okay.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
I want something with a variable focus that can move between these, to the extent my m1 currently does.
All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods). A small light is important, but bonus points for longer runtime.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I don't mind too much, but a rear button like I currently have is good.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

Happy to also have any of the following options too (in order of importance):
I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
I want a selector ring.
I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Happy with any of these:

Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
At least IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
In my pocket almost the whole time I'm at work, in a bedside drawer when I'm not.

17) Special Needs/extras:

Red filter (for preserving night vision) is an advantage but not compulsory.
Wrist Lanyard

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Lenser M1 is 1x CR123A flashlight
Have you tried to see the new Fenix PD25R?

Tali

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you want to replace a stripped down Ford Pinto with a James Bond car. Except for the selector ring it's do-able.
That's pretty much the size of it. Sell me a James Bond car! I can live without the selector ring.

Led Lenser M1 is 1x CR123A flashlight
Have you tried to see the new Fenix PD25R?
This looks like a good light. What I can't tell from Fenix's page though is whether I can change the focus. Sometimes I need to focus on a point some distance away, other times I need to light up a general area.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you can't change the focus, let's say this function belongs to the past.

Tali

Newly Enlightened
Coast look okay, except the light that would suit is only dust resistant, and most of the others only weather resistant. I can live with weather resistant if there are no better options, but I think I need better than just dust resistant.