Recommendation for 1 AAA keychain light

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an iTP A3 EOS Upgraded to evaluate as a possible gift for friends and family that aren't into flashlights, but would probably use one if they had it with them. I chose the iTP over the maratac because I don't like knurling on anything that's potentially going to go on a keychain and I figured that none of my intended recipients would care about tailstanding.

I've been so impressed with the little light that I'll probably buy a dozen or so in the next couple of weeks for Xmas gifts.

The Preon looks nice, but is a bit pricey for a stocking stuffer. If my wife didn't already have an LF2XT (which she absolutely loves), I'd probably be seriously considering the Preon for her.

--flatline

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I strongly endorse any of the better quality lights from the L0D/LD01, ITP/Maratac AAA and most definitely my present, and for the past few months main light, the LF2XT.

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD01 stainless steel, great light, can handle 10440 li-ions, but the best thing, after approx six months on my key chain, no scratches whatsoever...

Stealth

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your perspective Luminescent, Regarding the ITP.. are your brightness obsevations with a 10420?

Luminescent

Enlightened
Thanks for your perspective Luminescent, Regarding the ITP.. are your brightness obsevations with a 10420?

No, the amazing thing is that those observations are with normal NiMH or Alkaline AAA batteries.

The light is not rated for use with 10440 (but lots folks have done it anyway and gotten away with it)

On 10440, it's INSANELY BRIGHT but gets really hot if you run it on high very long.

Personally, I never run 10440's in any of my AAA lights, but I have always tried to buy lights like the Fenix L0D or this ITP A3 EOS where other folks have done this, because it shows that the light is 'over engineered' and that therefore if it is used with the proper batteries and not abused, it should last just about forever.

I should also clarify my earlier comparisons to the maglight incandescent. Since the maglight has the ability to focus, to get a fair comparison, the Maglight is focused so the hotspot is about the same size. The maglight could then be adjusted for more throw because it has that huge 2 inch reflector. Throw is the one area where the much larger maglight will always have an advantage. For a small AAA light though, the throw is very good on the ITP A3 light. It will brightly illuminate things all the way at the other end of my house 50 feet away.

- Luminescent

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Anybody has a beamshot of ITP medium against classic Mag 2D? I am really having hard time believing that ITP medium will blow out Mag 2D.

- Vikas

shark_za

Enlightened
iTP A3 EOS

I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow! I'm getting mine tomorrow!
:party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The OP wanted a replacement for a L0P.
The current version is the LD01

-----

HIJACK

I do not believe the different version was to remove bugs, but to introduce never leds.
The problem with getting the best bin, is that it is a moving target, new better bins are introduced each year.
While the move from L0P to L0P SE to L0D to L0D CE was for other reasons it gave me time to determine the the light was what I wanted. If there had been bugs it would have given Fenix time to fix it. (actually they did fix the wrong size O-ring problem in my L0P SE, none of my 4 L0D CE had that problem)

I bought an original L-mini. It is now a lump of useless metal. Shining beam sold v2 so fast I didn't have time to pull the trigger.
I bought an early MTE P7 last year. I have to live with its idiosyncrasies which vary from unit to unit same model. Have not heard any complaints this year.

I bought those torches because they were interesting concepts at the time.
It is not a good idea to advice other people to buy version 1.0 of an unknown item.

While 7777's concept for the Preon is good: Latest most efficient XPG LED to max battery life of the tiny AAA; 2AAA is still pocketable yet gives 2X the voltage to the driver.
We do not know who did the detailed engineering design or who builds it or what the QA is like. (7777 claims it is not Fenix)
7777 has seen how being the 1st has helped Fenix - 1st with the 1AA power LED, 1st with the XRE. 7777 has also seen how NOT being the 1st with the P7/MCE left Fenix fighting for market share with Jetbeam, Olight, Elektrolumens, not to mention the slew of MTE, Aurora, Trustfire, Solarforce etc. that had been out for over a year.
7777 is now trying to be 1st with the XPG, 1st with the Quarks, now with the Preon. With the Quarks it is mainly an LED upgrade but the Preons are new.
And the release seems rushed.
To meet the shipping deadline production would have started just as the XPG is rolled out or even a little earlier. Does that leave the optics designer time to properly optimize the reflector for the XPG? (Remember the 'Cree rings' of the early XRE lights without OP reflectors)
7777 has also persuaded Fenix not to go overboard with the blinky modes. Yet the Preon has more blinky than steady modes. Looks like an existing board is pressed into service to get the light out on time.
For this one I'll wait for other early adopters to report in before I jump, let alone recommend.

/HIJACK

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, the Dorcy 1AAA uses what I think is a Nichia Jupiter LED with a focusing optic that produces a "moon beam" with absolutely no spill light. Also, the output numbers advertised for the Dorcy are WAY overrated...it puts out more in the neighborhood of 20-25 lumens. Bulb lumens maybe...but aspheric/magnifying optic systems for flashlights "eat" a LOT of your bulb lumens!

PJD

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If nobody purchases the 1.0 version of any item, surely there will not be a 2.0 release...

Every flashlight in the market has weak and strong points, mostly depending on our preferences of use. And technologic advances will bring up new and more powerful flashlights so probably, our version 2.0 or 20.0 will be surpass by a version 1.0 of a new model.
My opinion as a flashlight collector is if you like it buy it, regardless if it's a 1th or a 10th release. Life is very short to wait for perfection.
I have more than 200 flashlights (sold a few though). Some of them were a little deception after a time but I enjoyed every torch since the moment I planned to buy it, and I like them all (some more than others :D), so my advise is don't think about the version just get it if you like it.

Carpe diem (and prepare your wallet :broke:)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PEAK Eiger would be my pick.

+1 If you want a simple 1 level light, it has 8 different power level options, 3 beam types, 2 tint options 3 body types and 3 metal types.

Multimode wise, I'd go for the Maratac AAA, the iTP is very small and slick, bad combination.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
+1 If you want a simple 1 level light, it has 8 different power level options, 3 beam types, 2 tint options 3 body types and 3 metal types.

Multimode wise, I'd go for the Maratac AAA, the iTP is very small and slick, bad combination.
I'm going to have to check out a couple newer Peak lights sometime soon. As for the iTP being to slick, it is so lightweight that I doubt anyone would drop it due to it's smooth finish, but it is nice that the Maratac is there for anyone wanting the knurling.

For the record I only have the iTP and although I expected to be replacing it with the Maratac at first, I've found it to be a very nice light in actual usage.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have to check out a couple newer Peak lights sometime soon. As for the iTP being to slick, it is so lightweight that I doubt anyone would drop it due to it's smooth finish, but it is nice that the Maratac is there for anyone wanting the knurling.

Actually I find the combination of the rotating clip and the smooth finish make it harder to turn it on one handed, dropping is of no concern.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Actually I find the combination of the rotating clip and the smooth finish make it harder to turn it on one handed, dropping is of no concern.
I've never been able to do the one handed operation and keep forgetting that a lot of people do use their lights that way.

For two handers like me the iTP is still good though it seems the Maratac would be far better for anyone wanting to use it one handed.

HKJ

Flashaholic
While the move from L0P to L0P SE to L0D to L0D CE was for other reasons it gave me time to determine the the light was what I wanted. If there had been bugs it would have given Fenix time to fix it. (actually they did fix the wrong size O-ring problem in my L0P SE, none of my 4 L0D CE had that problem)

Your use this light as an example of multiple models to fix bugs was then unfounded in reality.

7777 has also persuaded Fenix not to go overboard with the blinky modes. Yet the Preon has more blinky than steady modes. Looks like an existing board is pressed into service to get the light out on time.

7777 explicit states that the Preon has a new type of interface, why do you then say he might use an "existing board"?
The flashing modes on Preon are hidden, they will not activate during normal use.

Luminescent

Enlightened
For the benifit of the original poster, the ITP A3 EOS that I mentioned, and the Maratac light that others have mentioned, have the same driver electronics and should have exactly the same output (both lights are actually made by ITP).

If you plan to use the light off the keychain one handed, the Maratac is a good choice because the knurling will make it easier to twist on and off.

The Maratac can also stand on it's tail, with a chapstick cap used as a diffuser, and act a mini lantern.

For use on a keychain, most folks use two hands, one to hold the light and keys, and one to twist it on, so knurling is less of an issue, and the knurling on the Maratac could actually be a problem (by scraping up your keys, car lock keyfob, and anything else you have in your pocket).

In any case, chose the one you think looks the best, and that will best suit your needs, because the performance is effectively identical.

- Luminescent

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
7777 explicit states that the Preon has a new type of interface, why do you then say he might use an "existing board"?
The flashing modes on Preon are hidden, they will not activate during normal use.
Please post a link to a Youtube video of your Preon sample of the hidden feature. How to hide it, how to unhide it.
New type of interface does not mean 7777 designed it from scratch. 2 types of beacon modes when I do not see requests for on CPF indicate an existing board with most of the features 7777 wanted was picked. If the board was designed from scratch (or if there was time to change it) I doubt we would see 2 types of beacon modes.

To design a light from scratch, build a prototype, test it, identify bugs, build a 2nd prototype make sure there are no bugs; design and build the assembly line, produce a small run, identify production line problems, fix them, go into mass production takes time. (In the case of the TK40 over a year. The Jetbeam, Olight, Lumapower P7s are not much faster.)
If you have a light you can modify, you can skip many of the above steps and get the new light out much faster. (Modifying a L0D to L0D CE came less than 2 months. Modifying a 500 series incan to those '900 lumen' P7 lights at DX is equally fast. Faster - they skipped the QC steps.)

The simple fact the Preon is available in quantity 1 month after the XPG tells me an existing flashlight was modified to suit, not just the circuit board. The production line was built and ready to go.
We are talking a few thousand lights before Christmas. Not a few customs from Elektrolumens, Mac or McGizmo.

If you browse the Chinese websites or even B to B sites like Alibaba you will come across thousands and thousands of torches never mentioned on CPF simply because there is no US dealer.
Just because we have not seen a Preon before 7777 announced it on CPFMP does not mean a pre-Preon (minus the XPG) does not exist.

The skinny 2AAA penlight format has been around a long time. In addition to the Fenix LD05 there is a host of Tank007 lights over at you know where. Even Garrity has one model M200GST06A.