recommendation to a knife and why :D

holylight

Enlightened
hi knife lovers, sorry for a nood question. if I want to buy only 1 knife that got tough blade and value for money, pocket size( compact design).... can any one recommend me one and why.

tks in advance...:D

NighthawkT3

Newly Enlightened
A small Sebenza from Chris Reeve. $350 for an EDC may not seem like a value to those who haven't used one but it is built to last a lifetime and there is value in that. You'll want for nothing more...except maybe a large Sebenza. :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
David Boye folder. Boye Dendritic Cobalt blade - nonmagnetic and corrosion proof. Titanium clip and optional marlin spike. David Boye has been a custom knife maker for a long time. Spyderco credits him with the innovation on the lock back - the Boye Dent. These blades are cast, not forged, to take advantage of the molecular structure. Kind of like mini serrations.

jph0200

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, what's your price limit also what will you be using it for?

Last edited:

lightcycle1

Enlightened
How about one of the Benchmade Griptilians? I've had the Mini for years and its been a great knife, a workhorse. I've used it pretty hard and the action is still as smooth and tight as it was when new.

I like it so much I just picked up a full size Griptilian to go with it. Mine are both Mel Pardue designs with the round hole thumb opener in the blade and with the combo edges. Quality knives for the price point.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jph0200

Newly Enlightened
I think i can only spare around us$100

I be keeping it for raining days, maybe camping, maybe to defence against a robber!! :D

Hmm... Spyderco Endura wave or normal.
VG10 steel so will hold an edge well and if you want to use for SD they come with trainer equivalents.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I think i can only spare around us$100

I be keeping it for raining days, maybe camping, maybe to defence against a robber!! :D

With anything, there is a "point of diminishing returns" where you can spend more money but not get a more useful tool. That point lies with the Spyderco Endura mentioned above.

The handle is made from tough plastic, but underneath, skeletonized inside the plastic shell, is a stainless steel liner making these feel extremely solid. The VG10 blade will stay sharp and resist rust for a long time, indefinately if you take care of it. It really is a lot of knife for $55.

dss_777

Enlightened
Look at the Swedish Mora knives. Inexpensive (but not cheap), sturdy enough, and VERY functional. IMO, a fixed, stainless-steel blade in a decent sheath is the best all-around utility knife.

Buy one, use it for a while, then upgrade depending on what you learn from that use.

Edit: just saw you wanted "pocket sized". If that's critical, then the Spyderco Endura mentioned by MatthewSB above is excellent. Everybody should have one... ;)

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned my Kershaw Blur with partially serrated blade for about 2-3 years now, and I'm extremely happy with it. You can find them for around $50 US, but you didn't list what country you're in, so shipping may be cost prohibitive.

jph0200

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, do you still want tp use it against robbers or as a tool?

The Victorinox locking knife range are quite nice for multi purpose knives
(Not sure what you're into)

Sent using Tapatalk

arek98

Enlightened
Benchmade Triage.

Can be found for about $110 sometimes, regular about $140.
Decent blade, little thick for precise operation (like peeling a potato) but not too thick and it makes is tougher.
Very corrosion resistant steel but still pretty hard and can be sharpened well.
Has belt/line cutter and glass breaker for times you may need it.
Good ambidextrous Axis lock.

Sheepdogg

Newly Enlightened
Benchmade Triage. Can be found for about $110 sometimes, regular about $140. Decent blade, little thick for precise operation (like peeling a potato) but not too thick and it makes is tougher. Very corrosion resistant steel but still pretty hard and can be sharpened well. Has belt/line cutter and glass breaker for times you may need it. Good ambidextrous Axis lock.
I agree, Cutlery Shoppe has it for $105 shipped with the coupon codes "BM25" and "Nutnfancy". The BM25 code works for all the Benchmade knives, 25% off.