recommendations for BRIGHT mountain bike like (bar mount)

littlebattery

Newly Enlightened
Hello -

I'm looking for help finding a BRIGHT light for night riding.
Requirements:
  • separate battery/head (eg, so it is bar-mountable in some form)
  • > 1000 lumens
    • I have an olight mini-intimidator-ii (1600 lm on NON-turbo); that bright would be sufficient.
  • 2+ hours battery life at > 1000 lumen (eg, I'd expect the battery pack to be at least several 18650's)
  • durable

Desirable:

• 3+ (4?) hours battery life on high
  • reasonable size/weight/weather-resistance.
  • ~1 meter cord, or ability to mod as such
  • non-sealed pack (eg removable/replaceable batteries)
  • pattern: "medium" spread, even beam / I don't need a crazy high flux hot-spot

Several years ago I found a site with side-by side ~objective brightness comparisons (http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com), and ended up with a "1000" lumen fluxient unit (1xu2, website no longer works). I see a few still for sale, but it's a ~4 year old design. However I'm not finding any equivalent comparison sites focused on bike, and bright, which have kept up with current gear.

Can you recommend any specific lights with more current tech (presumably brighter and/or more energy efficient)?

Thank you!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some weeks ago over in the bicycle-section there was a website mentioned which I found rather usefull wetestlights.com. You can compare some lights over there, I think there will be a few that fit into your description.

Another advice I have for you: When I started night-riding I only had a modded Maglite body with an XM-L and a diffused lens which was plenty of light enough for going straight but in the tight corners I was missing some light. So I would recommend you to get yourself some kind of 18650 flashlight for your helmet that helped me out alot.

PS: If you didn't check out the bicycle section over here, you can do that, you will find lots of usefull information there ;-).

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
How about the Dinotte XML-3? It's 2100 on high for for 2.5+hrs and medium is 1400 for 5 hours. I have been using the old version that is 1600 lumens on high and for me is plenty both on the road and mountain bike. Very solid light, had it for years with no issues. It has a cord extension for times when you mount the battery either far from the stem or use as a headlamp and keep it in your hydration pack.

Keitho

Enlightened
+1 on the helmet bar combo. I like a lightweight spot/flood on my helmet, and a bright flood on my bar.

To me, the biggest improvement over the past few years is the selection of beam patterns, color temp, and CRI. The lumen marketing results in horrid beams of bad tint, blue light, and battery packs with cheap and dangerous cells.

I wouldn't race with this setup due to weight, but I recently tried a Zebralight SC63w on my helmet (1100 lumens for 90 minutes, 36 grams, 83 CRI, 4500K), and a Noctigon Meteor M43 Nichia on the bar (over 6000 lumens max, about 3000 lumens for ~2.5 hours, 638 g with a huge homemade bar mount, 83 CRI, 5000K). I was just smiling the whole time--a large amount of great light, good color, and nice beam patterns. I can't wait to show off that combo more as the days get shorter.

If I were weight conscious, I'd replace the M43 with a pair of Zebralight SC600Fd III+ (each 1500 lumen max, about 90 min at 1000 lumens, 48 grams including the bar mount, CRI 94, 5000K). I commute on the road with one of these on my bar, and it is great at lighting up the ground in front of my wheel.

Rockjunkie15

Newly Enlightened
I second the dinotte xml-3 because it's a simple light that just works but I really like my ituo xp3, neutral white, real 2000+ lumens and it's fully programmable.
https://www.ituolights.com/collecti...-2200-lumens-w-6400mah-panasonic-battery-pack
Also my gloworm XS is a really great performing light but cost a bit more than the Ituo.
https://www.action-led-lights.com/c...products/2017-gloworm-xs-2500-lumen-light-set

Both the Ituo and Gloworm come with changeable optics and really pack a punch, honestly 1500lumen is a great amount of light for most trails and 2000+ is great for the black/double black diamond stuff. I've owned many lights and you should absolutely get neutral white(5000k), it's much easier on the eyes when it pitch black out. I use these lights often so feel free to ask questions.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on a neutral colored LED setup.

I switch to neutral emitters in my bar light and my helmet light. That helped alot in the forest.