Red light into the night!

nikocamf

Newly Enlightened
I'm kinda on the same game I need a far throw red for hunting I don't care if it's on gun head or hand I have a son with me to lamp gives him something to do lol saw a hunter using a head torch on YouTube well too

also I'm in uk which seems to be an issue all the good lights are USA and chinas drop offs are crap so have to spend like 200 quid to get a good one

so I'm thinking to make one after stripping my current one to see it's 80 quid costs a mere 15 to buy and i have had to resolder it too then I could prob make one

chip driver battery isn't really a lot to it eh unless ya want extras zooms etc
I have a habit of reverse engineering everything to try reduce cost wish I could get my hands on a fenix or an osled or such for ten mins I'd put it back to together for ya hah

keeping track to see where you end up I might follow ya as you want what I want lol
I've actually found on and bought it lol. It's not perfect but does the job. The main issue is it heats up fast and then drops down just as fast on anything less than low or middle modes and as it's red it doesn't throw far so I need to use the higher modes. Feel free to follow me but be warned. I'm no expert and not really an enthusiast. More of a practical user. That said, I did buy the Thrunite Catapult Mini just for fun but strangely enough I actually use it quite a bit for spotting my wandering hound lol The lamp I just bought is a 77 Outdoor D25LR which I bought from Amazon.com (US site).

nikocamf

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestion but the Zebralight site only ships to the USA
In Europe NKON has that model at a good price but it is out of stock on its website
Sounds good though as you point out, it's a bit hard to get hold of one. I did find one for £194 but I'd hazard a guess that the price has been somewhat inflated due to it's rarity in the UK.

nikocamf

Newly Enlightened
Oh i see, you don't live in USA.

There's not really great red only options on aliexpress. I see the 18650 one that's red only.

18650 is a big headlamp.

All of my headlamps are AAA and AA.
Iv'e never dealt with Aliexpress and not sure I would trust them. Might be being a bit unfair on that but theres so many rip off merchants out there nowadays I tend to err on the side of caution.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have indeed. Amber may work but yellow would still attract the bugs I'd think. Honestly it's like trying to see through a swirling mist sometimes! lol
I'm not really sure if yellow attracts bugs or not I know that all the old incan light bulbs (120v) are yellow.
My issue with red lights is it is hard to distinguish some things with red only light and many have done well with sub lumen white light which also doesn't attract bugs much othewise fireflies would be followed by moths.

nikocamf

Newly Enlightened
Until getting your objective, also consider taking the light you're using off your head and hold it in your hand, getting buggers out of tasting range. Maybe you have done that already.
I have indeed. I alternate between head and hand according to how many bugs are around and the terrain I'm walking/climbing on. Some of the higher tracks are made up mostly of odd shaped rocks of all shapes and sizes and having the light in my hand and so lower creates shadows on the rocks making navigation easier and lessoning the likelihood I'll end up kissing the dirt, or more likely a rock! Ouch! lol.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good though as you point out, it's a bit hard to get hold of one. I did find one for £194 but I'd hazard a guess that the price has been somewhat inflated due to it's rarity in the UK.
With that amount I think you can buy three of Zebralight red.
You could write to Nkon and ask if at the next refueling he will take one for you.
I have no idea if there are other Zebralight dealers in Europe.
A few days ago I wrote to Zebralight to find out if I could buy an H503c and they told me that they only ship to USA without suggesting any European seller.

nikocamf

Newly Enlightened
With that amount I think you can buy three of Zebralight red.
You could write to Nkon and ask if at the next refueling he will take one for you.
I have no idea if there are other Zebralight dealers in Europe.
A few days ago I wrote to Zebralight to find out if I could buy an H503c and they told me that they only ship to USA without suggesting any European seller.
Yeah I figured that lol. Rip off!. Just been on Nkon site and they do list that light but no mention of it being a red LED.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It says, in addition to "photo red" there is:
LED type XP-E
LED color Red
However, an updated model with a few more lumens would be nice

greoo

Newly Enlightened
It says, in addition to "photo red" there is:
LED type XP-E
LED color Red
However, an updated model with a few more lumens would be nice
This is why I'm gona make one lol

xpe-2 red 3w is £3 and a 10w for £12 so… just knowledge that puts cost up I guess