• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Reflectivity of a fully bead-blasted Haiku

fyrstormer

Banned
There are various surface coatings available for titanium which make it much less shiny, but I'm curious to know how much less reflective a fully bead-blasted Haiku is compared to a raw-machined Haiku. (when I say fully bead-blasted, I mean no polished stripes like Don adds after bead-blasting.) Anyone have one they can compare to a stock Haiku, preferably using a camera with the flash turned on?

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I have been thinking about doing this to mine, would love to see some pics if someone has some. My neighbor has a bead blasting cabinet that I have been using a little. Mostly knife clips and handles so far, I am afraid to try the McGizmo yet.

I am pretty sure the reflectivity will vary based on the size of the "media" used. Finer beads will result in a shiny surface while a courser sand type particle will result in a flatter type finish. Here is a thread I found. Not a McGizmo but I think it gives a pretty good idea of the result

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?307016-New-look-for-my-Preon-2-Titanium

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I don't have a Haiku with a BB finish, but do have a Pocket Rocket 8 that just went through the BB cabinet. First photo is the middle light in polished (as received) condition, followed by the BB finish.

8th-0003a.jpg

beadblast3.jpg

beadblast2.jpg

beadblast1.jpg
beadblast1.jpg

I love the BB finish on the PR8, but don't know how the Haiku would look. I would expect it to be similar.