Reflector woes

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
I did the luxeon mod to the double barrel engergizer AA light. After I was done I noticed that I had somehow gotten fingerprints all over the reflector. Well I pulled the reflector out and took some Windex and a power towel to it. OOPS
frown.gif
Needless to say the fingerprint smudges turned into nice spots of white plastic showing through the silver. By the time I was done I had smears of white plastic showing through the whole reflector. Would anyone have any idea on a good way to fix this up? I'd like the nice glossy silver that it was, but I doubt I can get it back. Now I'd just be happy if it reflected the bare luxeon emitter that's in place. Any ideas? Thanks

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try some of that fake chrome spray paint.

And check your PM.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
you REALLY should not have done that power tool thing! the reflective material is REALLY thin on the plastic. You should have just taken windex and a power towel.....errr...PAPER towel to it! Now, I guess you should try some of the spray paint lambda mentioned.

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
LOL well it really did say "paper towel" when I typed it.
rolleyes.gif
I have no excuse, I just can't type.
grin.gif

Wow, thanks Lambda! My very first PM and I didn't even know I had it!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiteFreek,

I "just happen to know for sure" that Mag-lite reflectors are the same. (Except that the show-throughs are of blue plastic in Mag-Lites.)
The Aluminium coatings on these type of things are very delicate, just a sputtered/vapour deposited ultra thin layer. Even the very much stronger SF reflectors are easily damaged by cleaning.

OTOH, the MaxaBeam has a reflector hewn from a solid block of Aluminium. The surface of that would be difficult to polish too, just because the finish is so highly polished already.
The best way out is to avoid anything at all touching a reflector surface.

lightlover

Ps - If you go to "My Profile", you can choose the "e-mail me when I get a Private Message" option.

rodmeister

Enlightened
Try some "chrome tape" available at well-stocked photographic stores. It's a mirror-like, thin, adhesive tape used to crop photo slides, much better than so-called metallic paint. The edges of the tape patch will be noticable.

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
The chrome photo tape is often called slide binding tape and is great. The adhesive is made to stand up to the heat of a projector bulb, so it works well in the brightest flashlights. You can order it from University Products Archival Company in 1/4in. or 1/2in. sizes (or get it from Light Impressions and pay even more $$$.)

Latest posts