Regalight WT1 - A Massive Performer! With beamshots & Runtimes!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This came to me in the mail. This review will be a work in progress for a period of time....

Regal0.jpg

Contents of the box. A decent lanyard, a rather flimsy holster reminiscent of Fenix holsters, spare silicone o-rings, spare rubber boot for the swithces, one low - high two level switch (with 10 Ohm resistor) and one OP-reflector.

Regal1.jpg

Here with one of my EDC lights.

Regal3.jpg

Disassembled into the major parts.

Regal8.jpg

Threads on the battery tube tailcap end. Very good threads, lubricated, deep and smooth.

Regal9.jpg

Emitter module in the battery tube top. Module doesn't seem to screw out of the tube, either threadlocked or it's a press fit. Threads are smooth and lubricated, again double o-rings.

Regal10.jpg

The head. Very faint traces of machining marks in the scalloped parts of the head, otherwise perfect finish. In close scrutiny the head part is a fraction lighter in colour than the bezel. Took me a while to notice it.

Regal13.jpg

Inside threads that connects with the battery tube. Very nice fit and finish, smooth threads.

Regal12.jpg

The bezel. Glow in dark o-ring keeps the lens in place. One o-ring between bezel and head. The glow ring stay in its place when the bezel is fully tightened. Outstanding finish and machinework on the bezel.

Regal11.jpg

Tailcap with the forward click switch installed (standard). The switch seem to be of high quality, it has a rather short travel length and it is smooth when pressed.

Regal15.jpg

The forward click switch assembly. It's not possible to disassemble the module, it's a complete unit. The spring could be a bit stiffer and longer to avoid battery movement in the tube.

Regal18.jpg

The two level reverse click switch module disassembled. It's the same switch that LumaPower and Tiablo use in their products. The low level is acheived via one 10 Ohm resistor. The sequence is: Low - High - Off. A good switch, but with a bit higher resistance than the forward switch.

Regal17.jpg

A size comparison with some common pocket items. Here with one Swisstool Spirit two blade version and one Victorinox Mini Champ.

RegalSizecomp2.jpg

A bilingual manual comes with the WT1. It states warranty terms, frequently asked questions, and most importantly; it tells you to put the battery anode towards the head. In other words: Positive end of the battery towards the head. Which is important since Regalight warns about reverse polarity in the manual.

Regal19.jpg

Specifications from Regalight

1. Cree 7090 XR-E WC Q5 LED at 220 lumens.
2. Step down constant current driver, High efficiency with dual mode DC-DC regulator (PWM / PFM),working voltage is 2.7V to 8.4V. Replace battery when the light is too dim.
3. Supports three sizes battery, one 18650 Li-ion battery, two pcs CR123A or RCR123A battery.
4、Long runtime for high output.use a 18650 for 4 hours;use two CR123A for 3.5 hours
5. Durable Type III hard anodized finish. Aircraft aluminum T7075.
6. Water proof to 5m/15ft.
7. Toughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating.
8. Tactical clicky switch
9. Two stage module:focusing-->focus
10. Length 154mm, Head diameter:36mm, Weight: 125g (battery excluded)
11. Anti-falling ring to make it safer to put on desk or table.
12. Accessories: Instructions, three pcs O-ring, one pcs black and one pcs glow press button cap. Includes a holster

The Regalight WT1 is available here or here.

White wall beamshots

Beam distribution with the smooth reflector at 1 metre.

RegalWHRegal.jpg

Beam distribution with the orange peel/textured reflector at 1 metre.

RegalWHRegalOP.jpg

Comparison between Regalight WT1, Tiablo A9 and LumaPower D-mini. At 50 centimetres. The Regalight WT1 compares favourably to my two favourite EDC lights! All with smooth reflectors.

RegalWHRegalcomp.jpg

Outdoor beamshots at 95 and 40 metres

The lights used in the outdoor beamshots

Regallineup.jpg

Number one, Regalight WT1. CREE Q5 WC. Stock version. 14 580 Lux in throw at one metre. AW 18650 LiION cell.
Number two, Tiablo A9 with CREE Q5 WC, FluPic driver on burst 1200 mA. UCL-type lens. 30 500 Lux in throw at one metre. One AW 18650 LiION cell.
Number three, MRV with CREE Q5 WG, stock driver. UCL-type lens. 21 050 (RCR 123) /13 630 (18650)Lux in throw at one metre.
Number four, 3D Mäg with SSC P4 USOXH and five mode driver with max at 1000 mA. UCL lens. 20 150 Lux in throw at one metre with NiMH cells.
Number five, D-mini. CREE Q5 WG. 1000 mA driver. UCL-type lens. 14 200 Lux in throw at one metre. AW RCR123 LiION cell.

The lights in reverse order for size comparison in the picture below.

RegalSizecomp1.jpg

The first setting. Hotspots are at 95 metres on the trees, spill and general ability to light up a space is closer. The house is at 50 metres.

RegalScene1.jpg

A composite of the set.

RegalightBeamComp1.jpg

Regalightbeam1.jpg

Regalightbeam2.jpg

Regalightbeam3.jpg

Regalightbeam4.jpg

Regalightbeam5.jpg

Regalightbeam6.jpg

The second setting. Here against the lights used in the first series of outdoor beamshots. The Regalight WT1 is always on the left. The trees are 40 metres away.

RegalScene2.jpg

Regalightvs1.jpg

Regalightvs2.jpg

Regalightvs3.jpg

Regalightvs4.jpg

Regalightvs5.jpg

Lux readings, Battery draw etc.

The WT1 seem to have a very good driver circuit, output on all three cell types are very similar.

RegalLux.jpg

It seems that the reverse two level switch has higher resistance on the high level than the forward switch.

The lens
The WT1 has a high quality lens, manufacturer claim antireflex coating. If there is coating it's a clear type. However, I did test the lens against some UCL glass lenses I have. UCL glass have a transmission rate of 98% if I remember correctly. That is, I measure throw at one metre while holding first the stock lens against the reflector with the bezel off, then I do the same with the UCL-lens. Ordinarily most manufacturers go cheap on the lens, which is really stupid. Not in this case, the stock lens perform very well against the UCL glass. The difference is only 730 Lux. In my other throw lights, MRV/Tiablo/D-mini, I have had new lenses of UCL-type made since the difference was dramatic, in the 2000-3000 Lux range. The WT1 lens is 31.75 mm in diameter and 2 mm in thickness.

Battery draw:
18650: 860 mA.
RCR123: 660 mA.
CR123: 790 mA.

Weight:
Empty: 140 grams.
With AW 18650: 186 grams.

Runtimes

Runtime on CR123 primary cells. Impressive regulation up until 96 minutes. The light gets warm, so my recommendation is to hold it in the hand while running it over periods exceeding 30 minutes.

RegalRuntimeCR123.jpg

Flat output for exactly 45 minutes on two RCR123 cells. Abrupt shutdown at 45 min.

RegalRuntimeRCR123LiION.jpg

Good regulation on 18650 LiION for two hours.

RegalRuntime18650LiION.jpg

Conclusion

A very nice flashlight that's built like a tank and with very good regulation on all cell types. Recommended for those who need a good one level light with a forward click switch. The solid construction implies that it will survive a lot of abuse.

Postitive remarks.
  • The machining and finishing is very good on my specimen, not perfect but as close it can be with a mass produced item. Overall a very high standard.
  • Very good output for it's size. the WT1 outperforms both stock LumaPower MRV and Tiablo A8 with CREE Q2 emitters. The WT1 performs well compared to my modded versions of these lights with CREE Q5 and other drivers. It clearly outperform all existing versions of LumaPower D-mini. On paper it compares well with stock MRV Q5 SE & Tiablo A8/9 Q5, not quite as bright but just below these. And that's amazing with the WT1 having ~half the reflector area.
  • My WT1 has a very high quality smooth aluminium reflector with flawless coating. One OP reflector is included with the light. (It's a bonus in this package, I think that later on only one reflector will be included.) The OP reflector performs well, it's lightly structured.
  • The forward switch is very good, nice feeling and tactile response in it. It seems to be of high quality, but time will tell if it's not.
  • Excellent regulation on primary cells. Excellent performance on RCR123 LiION cells. Good regulation on 18650 LiION. Output numbers suggest that current to the emitter is very close to 1000 mA on all cell types, few production lights accomplish this.
  • Excellent heatsinking. Since the emitter seem to be run near its maximum current (~1 A) a lot of heat is produced, the whole light gets warm when it's on for extended periods. I haven't noticed any decrease in output due to heat.
  • There is a massive feeling to the light, it's bulit like a safe, or an armoured vehicle.
  • Accepts all cell sizes I own, including the bigger silver Ultrafire RCR123 LiION cells.
  • Sleek and stylish design, it's actually more pocket friendly than my D-mini, even though it's longer than the D-mini.
Negative remarks.
  • The light shares it's weakest point with Tiablo A8/9 and LumaPower MRV: The unprotected glow in dark o-ring securing the lens, how this will hold up over years of use is anyones guess. I hope it will last
  • The fact that the led pill seem to be permanently installed, that will be a problem for those who want a quick upgrade path as new emitters emerge. I expect it will be no more difficult to swap emitter than it is in an MRV or Tiablo, but it is not as easy as for example with Dereelight DBS/CL1H.
  • The fact that the tailcap and lower battery tube threads are not anodized, that excludes lockout for transport etc.
  • Lack of knurling on the body. The bigger tailcap and the structured head provide good grip, but in some situations knurling on the battery tube might be needed.
  • The switch could use a longer and stiffer battery spring to hold the cell/s more securely.
I will update this review for a while.

Stefan

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Regalight WT1 - A Massive performer!

Additional beamshots

I wasn't satisfied with the first batch of beamshots in post #1. It was done with a borrowed camera since mine was being serviced. Now my favourite camera is back and I decided to do another few sets with better manual control over whitebalance and shutter speed etc. White balance is sunlight and exposures are 8 sec.

This time the Regalight WT1 is up against one stock Tiablo A9 I got in a trade recently, my MRV with stock driver and CREE Q5 WG and my favourite 3D Mag SSC mod. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

First setting. 50 meters to the trees.

Angen50m.jpg

AngComp.jpg

BeamshotAng150m.jpg

BeamshotAng250m.jpg

BeamshotAng350m.jpg

BeamshotAng450m.jpg

Second setting. 70 meters to the trees. A pond in the woods..

Karr70m.jpg

KarrComp.jpg

BeamshotKarr170m.jpg

BeamshotKarr270m.jpg

BeamshotKarr370m.jpg

BeamshotKarr470m.jpg

Torture testing

I also decided to do a torture test, I used the WT1 to smash a hole in the ice on the pond seen above. Then I put the light down under the ice, in the water, and left it for 1 hour and 30 minutes on high (with an AW 18650 cell in it). It didn't leak or turn off. The water had frozen over when I got back to get it!

RegalTorture1.jpg

RegalTorture2.jpg

RegalTorture3.jpg

Stefan

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened

Very nice review, looks like an pretty good deal for the WT1 :)...

BTW how is the grip of the WT1, no knurling at all on that body, is it slippery. Would be nice if some o-rings would fit those grooves below the head...

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review! I had my eye on that light, but wanted to hear some feedback. I don't think it does anything special compared to the other lights I have. What makes it "A Massive Peformer!" ? :) The overal quality?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review! I had my eye on that light, but wanted to hear some feedback. I don't think it does anything special compared to the other lights I have. What makes it "A Massive Peformer!" ? :) The overal quality?

The output and the build. It compares favourably with lights that have more output and bigger reflectors. And it's really solid when I hold it. Also, the review is a work in progress. Runtimes on 18650 & RCR 123 will come the next few days.
Stefan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would be interesting to compare it with a Dereelight CL1H 3-Stage Q5. They seem similar in size.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Looking good Stefan - appreciate all the work you are putting into this! :twothumbs

:popcorn: Can't wait to see the rest of the review. My WT1 should be here early next week, so I'll post my throw and output values then to compare.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast

StefanFS, this is a high quality review. Thank you for your efforts. I love those outdoor beamshots. :thumbsup:

Mr. Blue

Enlightened

one of the best reviews I have seen in 6 years

JKL

Enlightened

Thank you StefanFS :twothumbs.
High quality review, as usual .
It seems to be builded with high quality,probably the grip could be improved, at any rate we wait next runtime tests and your additional info.

Rob187

Enlightened

A lot of effort has gone into this review - great work. Thank-you.

Not a bad light either...

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice review, looks like an pretty good deal for the WT1 :)...

BTW how is the grip of the WT1, no knurling at all on that body, is it slippery. Would be nice if some o-rings would fit those grooves below the head...

You mean something like this? Yes, that works well and it improves grip with 3 mm thick ones. One (2 mm thick) even fits the tailcap groove. O-rings are 26-28 mm in outer diameter and 2 or 3 mm thick.

RegalXo-rings.jpg

Stefan

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the led pill is a press fit (down into the battery tube). It doesn't move with brute force and my biggest wrenches. Lifting the plastic cover is required to get access to the emitter.

RegalPill.jpg

Stefan

Last edited:

whc

Enlightened

You mean something like this? Yes, that works well and it improves grip with 3 mm thick ones. One (2 mm thick) even fits the tailcap groove. O-rings are 26-28 mm in outer diameter and 2 or 3 mm thick. Stefan
Very nice, thanks for the info :).

Hmm in the background, is that like o-ring heaven or what :D?

Last edited by a moderator:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stefan, what LUX meter are you using? Do yo have a LUX reading for the Tiablo A9S Q5?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a CEM DT 1300 mostly. It's pretty well calibrated.
In Sweden the CEM meters are available in some shops (the kind you visit in person), as well as in web shops, for ~$40-45.

This is what my stock A9 Q5 put out before modding it.

Output, throw in Lux @ one metre, high/low:
  • AW 18650 LiION: 18 500/2790 Lux.
  • AW RCR123 LiION: 21 500/12 700 Lux.
  • CR123 Energizer Primary cells: 20 700/7240 Lux.
Stefan

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi Stefan - great review, extremely thorough - very well done! :thumbsup:

Could you confirm for me which way you placed the battery in the light? Following the common interpretation of anode as negative terminal (which is technically only correct on a discharging cell, but that's another matter), I tried installing a 18650 with the negative terminal toward the head and the light won't come on. I've contacted Regal for a clarification, but thought I'd check with you too.

One possibilty that occurs to me is the spring doesn't seem to be applying a lot of pressure on the 18650, so this may be a contact issue. But before I monkey around with it, I want to make sure I've got the battery orientation correct!

Thanks!