Regalight WT1 Second Edition *Beamshot/Lux & Overall Output*

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received my Regalight WT1 Second Edition from the sales thread in the Dealers section in the CPFM. I don't have the first edition Regalight WT1, but I do have a Lux meter and overall output Lightbox to test the light, so I figured I'd do a little write up. Here it goes...

Contents
The light comes stock with the smooth reflector and the single stage forward clickie tailcap. It also comes with a textured (orange peel) reflector and a two stage reverse clickie. It also includes a rather nice holster, an extra rubber tailcap, some o-rings, and a pretty cheap and quite large lanyard.
IMG_1229small.jpg

IMG_1230small.jpg

Construction/Size
The build quality of this light is very nice! The annodizing is perfectly smooth throughout and the light just feels nice in your hand. I would say it is of average size for a 2x 123 light, but would still be considered a small flashlight by the average person. It is noticably shorter than a Maglite Minimag, but larger around in both the body and the head. I'd say it is at the very upper limit of a pocketable light.
IMG_1237small.jpg

Output
Output is very impressive! The beam does have a ring around the hotspot, but it really isn't that bad and shouldn't be noticed in real world outdoor use. I haven't yet installed the two stage clickie, so I have only seen the high mode. The tint of mine is perfectly white to my eyes. It is EXACTLY the same tint as my Raidfire Spear, and pretty similar to my Olight T10 Q5. All of these lights use WC tint. I would imagine most of these units are going to be very similar in tint since they all use WC and I believe this bin is pretty consistant.
Here are the numbers from my Lux meter and Lightbox. I've tested a pretty good handful of lights in my overall output lightbox and have a rough estimate that 100 = 20 lumens. I actually think this may be a little low, but it is pretty close and gives a rough idea as to how much light is getting put out. I'll add the output numbers of some of my other lights in case anyone has any of them and would like to compare.

Regalight WT1 Second Edition
High:
12,490 lux
908 Overall

Taskforce 2C
4,920 Lux
483 Overall

Streamlight 4AA Luxeon
3,120 Lux
198 Overall

Going by these numbers I would say the Regalight is putting out a little over 180 lumens out the front of the light! It also has some very impressive throw for a light as small as it is. Considering that the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon was considered a throw monster by many only 2 years ago and this light has almost exactly 4 times as much throw in a much smaller package.

Here is a quick beamshot of the WT1:
IMG_1239small.jpg

Overall I think this light is very very nice, and when you consider it cost only a little over $50 shipped, it is a deal! I'll try to add more info tomorrow night sometime and I'll update this thread then.
Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! I can't wait to get mine.
Look forward to the rest of your review.

No problem. Glad you like it. I was really tired last night so I put something up quick. I'll add some more pictures of the light including white wall beamshots against a few other lights.

This really is a great light, and I'm sure you're going to really like it!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam does have a ring around the hotspot, but it really isn't that bad and shouldn't be noticed in real world outdoor use.

I have Regal WT1 SE (I also had WT1 first edition) and this yellow ring is noticeable and very annoying outdoors. It's almost in the middle of spill so it can reach the ground easily as you can see on picture (sorry for bad quality).

PS. I don't have luck to Regal lights. My first WT1 was dim and green, second one was great (strong, white light). Now I have WT1 SE and it's a little bit less bright than Nitecore DI on 14500 (and green of course). I need to buy another one and now it is going to be ok (I hope so).

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phantom,

Have you tried the OP reflector? I would think that it should smooth out the beam and eliminate the rings completely. If it stops snowing I'll take some outdoor shots tonight.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes and the difference wasn't big. Probably because this reflector is Light OP to keep good throw. There's no artifacts with it but yellow ring is still strong.

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
Livermore, In the people's republic of CA
If you can, would you take some lux readings with the two stage switch? A review I read about the first version said that the two stage switch really killed the output on high.
Is it possible that they changed the switch for the new version?
Thanks!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 stage switch (first edition) decreases lux readings by 1000lux/1m on high so it's barely noticeable.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
What is the explication for this two stage switch's problem ?

1 :else, the luxmetre of dealextreme is a good luxmetre ?

i can see 11500 Lux on high with smooth reflector with my regalight WT1 2nd version, it's normal ? :)

2 : and how i can change the mode ? i must make the two stage switch ? (how ?)

3 : and finaly, i would know if it's normal a little darkness circle after 3 metres in the concentrated beam ? a optic illusion ?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the explication for this two stage switch's problem ?

1 :else, the luxmetre of dealextreme is a good luxmetre ?

i can see 11500 Lux on high with smooth reflector with my regalight WT1 2nd version, it's normal ? :)

2 : and how i can change the mode ? i must make the two stage switch ? (how ?)

3 : and finaly, i would know if it's normal a little darkness circle after 3 metres in the concentrated beam ? a optic illusion ?

I'm not sure why the two stage switch reduces output. Maybe more resistance???
1. The lux meter that I use is from Dealextreme. I think it's pretty accurate, and even if it isn't it does directly compare my lights with each other.
3. Are you saying that yours has a donut hole in the center of the hotspot at over 3 meters? Mine does not have any donut whole at all from distance like that.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
thx, and what is the most famous reasons for the black donut ?

and you can take the mesure of your luxmeters at 3 meters, with bezel screw to max in hight mode, for see if the center of beam got more lux ?

Me, I have take the mesure with my dx luxmeters, and the center of my beam are 50 lux of less than the peripherical light (1500 lux vs 1550 at 5 cm of distance than the beam's center ), it's confirmed :( i must defocusing the light for got the inverted effect, pffff :(

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else had the doughnut hole in their light?

Just to make sure, but when you say donut hole you mean that there is a spot in the center of the hotspot that is less intense, correct? My light does not have this at all, but it does have a ring around the hotspot that is normal with a smooth reflector combined with a Cree emitter.

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
Livermore, In the people's republic of CA
Just to make sure, but when you say donut hole you mean that there is a spot in the center of the hotspot that is less intense, correct? My light does not have this at all, but it does have a ring around the hotspot that is normal with a smooth reflector combined with a Cree emitter.
Thats exactly what it is. Thanks for the info!

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
oki i have this ring around the hotspot too, but you can mesure the lux of your beam at 3 meters with you luxmeter on wall for see if the center of the bright beam is less intense in the center than 5 cm more down or up position ? like a doctor with stetoscope lol :) thx you so much, you are a true flasholic :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
oki i have this ring around the hotspot too, but you can mesure the lux of your beam at 3 meters with you luxmeter on wall for see if the center of the bright beam is less intense in the center than 5 cm more down or up position ? like a doctor with stetoscope lol :) thx you so much, you are a true flasholic :)

LOL, thanks!
I'll take the reading tonight around 8:30 when I get back from work. It looks like the brightest part of the hotspot is the very center, but I'll do it just to make sure.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some lux readings from 3 meters. I had a really hard time figuring out when I had the exact center of the beam hitting the lux meter, since I was doing this myself. Perfectly centered I got 1700 lux. I know this doesn't tell you much, but all I can say is my specific unit does not have a donut hole at all. The beam is perfectly centered and the absolute center of the hotspot also has the most intensity. I have no real way of proving this, but I can just tell with my eyes.