Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
CPF Supporter
200.gif

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
This is a flashlight forum. That is a strong, tight focus. What's our purpose? To nurture the flashlight community. Are there not so many political conflicts out there in this hostile world in this evil age that tear apart the fabric of nation, state, community, family and individual? Why should we allow such outside controversial issues that we can never agree on to bring division amongst ourselves, to disable us from furthering our single purpose?

And yet, our friendly, dear member richbuff (who certainly is in his rights to believe what he writes) posts in the thread "Welcome to the updated CPF":
Yes, I am still on earth, I am not yet where "Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood."
Point is, why do you think we should not talk about research and personal experiences with COVID when it is ok for you to put your (incendiary to some) religious beliefs about the hereafter on us?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I remember when I first arrived here, a "which flashlight is best", any "maglite" or "SureFire" thread and I do mean ANY of them began out well enough but soon the opinions turned to personal attacks and were soon after closed. As a joke I'd comment "in before close" knowing the outcome.

It wasn't that those topics weren't allowed, it was just the passion around those topics. I've seen people banned over certain brands they couldn't stand and would not back off.

Some may have noticed, some once very active members here have disappeared since the pandemic of threads surrounding the pandemic. Like some of the brands of lighting tools used to keep getting folks all whipped into a frenzy, now it seems the covid related threads have the same result. It is what it is.

Right now there is an active "Maglite" thread that has been going for a year and has had very little drama. Good deal.

Perhaps someday that can be the case with covid threads too.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've noticed an occasional straying towards ad hominem attacks during the more emotional discussions regarding Covid measures. This is the stuff that I try to recognize and not engage in, not for Covid or any other topic. None of us is perfect though, and the stress of the lockdowns and hospitalizations has taken it's toll on everyone and keeps nudging us towards tribalism. We're better than this though. I hope that once this is over we'll be able to take a deep breath and see that we're here to share what we have in common, not what pushes us apart.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have no idea what threads this thread is referring to, as I don't spend much time on CPF anymore, but as long as everyone understands that the topic of COVID has been politicized by our government, mainstream media and social media (all working as one entity with a single purpose), than there should be no surprises how polarizing the topic becomes when mentioned.