Regulation for incandescents

Illuminated

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Spacemarine said:
@js

The LVR3D has the perfect dimensions for that but unfortunately it can only deliver 2 Amps which would be way too little. And the other regulators are too big.

You can see them here:
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~willie/lvr.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Spacemarine,

The following is a quote from an email reply I received from Mr. Hunt in November of 2003:

[ QUOTE ]
Another option is to use the LVR3K, which is 0.780 round and has the larger power FET, so it can tolerate much more abuse inlcuding reversing the cells.

Willie

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you might send Mr.Hunt an email and inquire about this LVR3K - it should be good up to 10 amps if I'm not mistaken.

Looking forward to seeing your fully regulated 500-lumen hand-held torch... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

John

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

Spacemarine and I had an offline conversation, and he suggested that the regulator for the SF A2 was in fact a Willie Hunt PWM LVR. And he was right. It is an LVR3L, designed especially for the A2 (!).

The loss in lumens vs. the P60 is due to the 3 5 mm holds for the LEDs. The bare lamps put out the same amount of bulb-lumens, even though the A2's lamp is a lower wattage lamp. The A2 is driven harder and is thus more efficient, but this also means that direct driving it from 2 123's will blow it.

Anyway, felt the need to correct my gross error regarding the A2. Nonetheless, the fact remains that the regulator itself is very, very efficient, and that regulated incandescent lights need not be less efficient vs. direct drive. There is, of course, the issue of always needing to provide an over-voltage to the LVR regulators for regulated operation.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Well,

Spacemarine and I had an offline conversation, and he suggested that the regulator for the SF A2 was in fact a Willie Hunt PWM LVR. And he was right. It is an LVR3L, designed especially for the A2 (!).

The loss in lumens vs. the P60 is due to the 3 5 mm holds for the LEDs. The bare lamps put out the same amount of bulb-lumens, even though the A2's lamp is a lower wattage lamp. The A2 is driven harder and is thus more efficient, but this also means that direct driving it from 2 123's will blow it.

Anyway, felt the need to correct my gross error regarding the A2. Nonetheless, the fact remains that the regulator itself is very, very efficient, and that regulated incandescent lights need not be less efficient vs. direct drive. There is, of course, the issue of always needing to provide an over-voltage to the LVR regulators for regulated operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I can see how the holes for the LED's, which are pretty significant in size when compared to the rest of the reflector, can eat up a lot of lumens in the process.

So with all that considered, I would very much like to see a E2e sized, regulated light that doesn't need to accomadate the LEd's. Now that would be very, very nice.

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Indeed. A constant regulated E2E would IMO be a dream light.