Remember, it's always the pioneers who take the first arrows...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an email this morning, telling me that my Xtar VP2 was been recalled for 'housing' issues. Got a free return shipping label today and was asked to mail it back.

New ones might be in in a week, or two.

My VP2 is working fine and I'll miss her.

People on the fence might want to inquire about any given unit before buying.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
As we say on a family friendly forum, the poop has hit the fan, so to speak.

I'm still using it, but I'll send it back when they get closer to getting the replacements in.

This is the first recall that I've heard from Xtar, so maybe they rushed this charger to market, a bit too soon?

Chris

Aahhyes68

Newly Enlightened
We all hate to hear about a recall on anything but it does happen. I'm glad to hear XTAR is stepping up to the plate and taking care of it.

dwong

Newly Enlightened
That sucks, guessing some material flammability issue.
I got the Sp1 instead and in use now, hope that is safe.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sucks, guessing some material flammability issue.
I got the Sp1 instead and in use now, hope that is safe.

No biggie, but I saw a post on our other forums, mention the issue and it stated that the plastic could become brittle in cold weather, which doesn't make sense to me, but who knows?

Just passing the info on, not to disparage Xtar, since I'm an Xtar fanboy, but to let you others know that maybe waiting a couple of weeks, might be the better play.

Chris

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you Chris. I'm still loving XTAR despite this and, furthermore, it shows they had the willpower/courage to say "hey, there's a flaw in our product" instead of just sweeping it under the rug. I will continue to buy XTAR stuff without a doubt :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you Chris. I'm still loving XTAR despite this and, furthermore, it shows they had the willpower/courage to say "hey, there's a flaw in our product" instead of just sweeping it under the rug. I will continue to buy XTAR stuff without a doubt :)

This is why 'we' always have 'spares!'

And the world keeps on a spinnin'.

Chris

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I recieved my VP-1 the week before xmas. To busy to try it out untill 3 weeks ago. It pops the fuse on ch. 1 & after 5 hrs. & 20 min. on ch. 2 it gets to 4.17V & stays there. Never gets to 4.20V or completes.
Back to "Orbtronics" it goes. I'am almost ready to open it up to see why?, but................

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I recieved my VP-1 the week before xmas. To busy to try it out untill 3 weeks ago. It pops the fuse on ch. 1 & after 5 hrs. & 20 min. on ch. 2 it gets to 4.17V & stays there. Never gets to 4.20V or completes.
Back to "Orbtronics" it goes. I'am almost ready to open it up to see why?, but................

No issues with mine.. what "housing issues"? Any more details?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
No issues with mine.. what "housing issues"? Any more details?

Wrong polymer/plastic that can become brittle in colder weather.

I just mailed my VP2 back to Mountain Electronics and they're planning on shipping them back to China/Hong Kong and then will be sent that 'number' (shipped to them) of new, improved models that will then be sent to me.

Chris

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Xtar
Picked up a wk26(?) for $18 and love it! Beautiful tint (XPE?), straightforward design, locked out the funky SOS. Use it often when my primary lights are not at hand. 14500 cells only.

Xtar has my respect. Good luck with the replacement chargers.