Remember the exploded PM6, Pelican is replacing it

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, The exploded Pelican M6 is being replaced by Pelican. The light exploded because of the batteries. That is really good service. Pelican is a great company and I recommend their lights. That just shows that you can always be assured that if your Pelican flashlight breaks, Pelican will replace it. That is a reason why I bought my Pelican, and the fact that they are great products. They are coming out with two new great lights- the M1 and M3. You might want to look into them. They too have lifetime warranties. I'm sure that RY3 is happy that Pelican is replacing his light.

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, light explodes, get another one for free. Is this a good thing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Remember the exploded PM6, Pelican is replacin

Hey, it exploded because he may have had two different kinds of batteries. Not the lights fault. The point is the Pelican will replace the broken light. Any other questions/comments?

-David
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did we ever conclude it was two different batteries? I know it was a thought for a while..
Pelican would probally not have been so quick to replace it if it were questionable, that would have been assuming liability, then they would have to replace the cupboard door too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
They are a stand up company for replacing the light, it is nice to know that companies still can offer that type of customer service. I would not hesitata buying a Pelican now that I have heard this.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is a good practice for Pelican.

Probably it was a battery problem and not Pelican's fault, but who knows. Besides, an attorney can make the argument that lights should be designed to handle this situation safely. (Not that it is right, but it is what would be done; arguing a case has nothing to do with right and wrong.)

The last thing you want as a manufacturer is to have a customer seething for a long time over how his wife was almost severely injured or killed, and now his nice light is trashola. Far better to take care of the customer and bebuild confidence.

I would guess that having a "no questions asked" policy is a lot safer legally than examining on a case-by-case basis and risking implied admission of guilt.

And it's a nice thing to do. Certainly it wasn't RY3's fault, or his wife's.

Scott

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woh, I am not implying that it is RY3s fault. Anyway, the fast response by Pelican is a good thing. I contacted them for RY3. They were quick to reply. There is no way that it could have been the fault of the light, no way. If you think so, how? It was the batteries, what could the light have done to cause an explosion, nothing. My money says that the fault was the batteries. But, its a good thing that nobody was hurt. My point is that Pelican is in the process of replacing his light, and the warranty of the manufacturer(Pelican) shows that their products are of very high quality.

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Woh, I am not implying that it is RY3s fault. . . ."

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like it was. I meant to emphasize that it was not.

Anyway, if you were an attorney, you might structure your argument like this:

The light was probably using 2 matched batteries from a reputable source, Surefire. Surefire makes products that are designed to be used under the hardest circumstances imaginable, and then some. Their products are the choice of elite warriors in the world's most powerful military. Yadda yadda.

The light was being properly used. The owner turned it on, used it, turned it off. That's how everyone uses flashlights.

Something unknown happened causing a battery to rupture violently. This has happened before, notably in other Pelican flashlights. That this is a known problem is evidenced by the existence of vents and special storage practices (like storing the light partially unscrewed). Regardless of cause, exploding flashlights is a known problem.

The manufacturer, aware of the exploding battery problem, nonetheless manufactured a metal light without any venting capacity whatsoever. Now you regurgitate some statistics and ask a statistician, "What are the chances that a popular brand of light will NEVER have a battery try to explode?" Answer: essentially zero; it is virtually guaranteed to happen somewhere, some time, to some poor honest schmuck.

Knowing that this pipe-bomb-like flashlight would eventually rupture explosively, they sold it anyway. They sold a product that was defective and bound to blow up on someone.

Jury says, "Hey, those big mean guys at Pelican are only interested in profit. They should pay, and we should set an example, make it so painful that they change their manufacturing practices. We will save lives with our heavy punitive award."

Lawyers say, "cha-ching!"

Scott

joshwang

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif nice touch, Scott
It's good to know that Pelican lives up to it's motto.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cheapo said:
Hey, it exploded because he may have had two different kinds of batteries. Not the lights fault. The point is the Pelican will replace the broken light. Any other questions/comments?

-David
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only that the future of our hobby/addiction may depend in part upon the capability of our lights to safely handle similar circumstances, whatever they actually were.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it isnt Pelicans fault, they are not mean either, they are very nice people. I think it was surefires fault, it was their batteries. Just because Surefire sells their lights for so much, it doesnt mean that they had nothing to do with the incident. Well, I dont see why you blamed Pelican, when it is more likely to be the fault of the Surefire batteries.

-David

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

It think that is BULL!! The batteries do not blow up like timebombs! there must have been something that caused a short within the FLASHLIGHT, emphasis on FLASHLIGHT!

-tom

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be pretty hesitant to blame Pelican too, and I am sure that they are very nice people. I think it was a battery problem. I wrote that to illustrate how you *could* blame the flashlight.

One of the ugly facts of life is that attorneys often do not give a hoot about the truth, or what is right. The ones I know only care about winning their argument, and they will say and do anything to do it. Lawyers are not under oath in the courtroom like witnesses are. The truth gets lost.

Safety is very important to me. I do not think these lights are defective, but I do see a problem.

Scott

gorlank

Enlightened

Sorry but the thought of a flashlight exploding would probably turn me off from owning one unless I get a concrete explanation of what happened.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I dont think that the fact that a flashlight exploded should turn you away from the light. There is NO POSSIBLE WAY that it was the flashlights fault, no way. It is like putting a grenade into a box and saying that the box caused the explosion. I noticed in my M6 that the batteries are a little loose, that may have had something to do with it, but either way, it was the fault of the batteries. I dont understand why none of you have said that it was Surefires falt, there is a larger possibility that their batteries were bombs. Once again, my point was that Pelican trusts their products so much, that they have the "you brake it, we replace it" rule. And RY3 will be having his light replaced.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

@BEEZAUR thanks for the educational text, Ive learned alot from your posts, are you an attorny, or something in that category?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cornkid, you're wrong! I think it was the fact that the batteries are so loose within the flashlight, hey BEEZAUR, who would the jury blame if this was the case. I still think that it would be Surefires fault, their batteries shouldnt explode under any circumstances right?

-David

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Oh goodness!

I allowed the DSS Installer to use my M6 under the house. He used it until it was quite dim.

I could have allowed him to blow up!

But he nor the light did. Whew!

Uh, I ain't worried a bit.

OH! and GOOD on Pelican!!! Stand up companies are getting fewer and farther apart!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi cheapo,

I am a civil engineer. I am no expert on the law, but it is a very big part of civil engineering.

If Mrs. RY3 had still been holding the light in her mouth when it burst, she would have been seriously injured or killed. Then you would see a huge civil suit with high-powered attorneys on all sides representing RY3, Pelican, and Surefire.

Just my guess, but probably Surefire and Pelican would both lose. Often a percentage of blame is assigned. You might have a lost loved one valued at so many dollars. Pelican pays some percent and Surefire pays the rest.

One the one hand you have a battery that obviously malfunctioned. On the other you have a flashlight that *could* have been designed to safely vent the gas at low pressure. That says each company *could be* considered partly to blame.

The only way the manufacturers would win is if the jury says, "stuff happens. Get over it." But then you have a guy with a dead wife who did nothing wrong. Juries tend not to work that way. Juries tend to make manufacturers pay, and pay big.

I heard a story once about a flag manufacturer. They made this big American flag, sent it to some store. A business comes in and buys it, one of their guys goes out to put it up on a windy day. He had hold of a corner of the flag while it was on the pole, and a gust of wind comes. It picks the guy up and tosses him, he gets hurt fairly badly. Guy sues the flag company and wins a huge settlement. Flag company is a mom-and-pop outfit, declares bankruptcy, goes out of business. What did the flag company do wrong? Nothing. That is why legal reform is so important to a lot of people.

As I said, I would tend not to blame Pelican. They are one of my favorite manufacturers, and I own a few of their lights (even their model 2000, which is known to have exploded). I tend not to blame Surefire either. I used to work in the ammunition industry, and I know about how nothing can be made completely safe.

I do wish one thing would change: I wish lights that take high-energy batteries would be manufactured to withstand a battery rupture without catastrophic failure.

But that's just me.

Scott

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
gorlank said:
Sorry but the thought of a flashlight exploding would probably turn me off from owning one unless I get a concrete explanation of what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

AAhh.. You may want to avoid the vehicle forums, you'll never leave the house!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm, I think to avoid this situation, pelican should make the battery compartment tighter, so the batteries cant move around so much. Surefire could have made the batteries safer too, but, I guess that some things cant be avoided.

-David