Remember The Thor HID Conversion Craze?

therock

therock

Newly Enlightened
Its been so long I lost track of the member here that build this one for me. A quality job, he even set the beam focus up nicely.
Quite the conversation relic and long throw search beam.

Thor 2 800

Thor close

KuanR

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely remember these. I had one too with a similar host, with the ballast attached to the outside.
I wouldn't mind having one again just for fun!

G

Galvnometer

Newly Enlightened
I have just binned mine. The lead acid battery has died and I havent used it for over 10 years.

therock

therock

Newly Enlightened
I was on call for search and rescue but not anymore. Thinking about donating it to a similar assoc if not a fire department.
Been so long forgot what battery to get for it. Tell me?

BVH

BVH

Flashaholic
Supporter
IIRC, it came with a 7 Amp Hour, 12V SLA battery but you can find 9 AH batts in the same physical size and about the same price. The battery has standard slide-on spade terminals.

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
IIRC, it came with a 7 Amp Hour, 12V SLA battery but you can find 9 AH batts in the same physical size and about the same price. The battery has standard slide-on spade terminals.
I often wonder if those batteries are one and the same and the 9Ah ones are just overrated. Those 12v SLAs used to be worth replacing but now they are over $30 each which puts them out of contention vs lithium ion packs IMO.

XeRay

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not only the price tag for the Lead Acid now.
Any of the Lithium chemistries weigh much less improving the practicality of those large legacy units.

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not only the price tag for the Lead Acid now.
Any of the Lithium chemistries weigh much less improving the practicality of those large legacy units.
And don't forget a lot lower self discharge. Lead acid batteries are irritating as you have to make sure and charge them up every few months or so while lithium ion can sit for several years and still perform as long as there isn't a current drain on them the self discharge rate is low.

BVH

BVH

Flashaholic
Supporter
I agree with all the great lithium points but....(always a but) the light has a built in charging system and wall wart in the case. For the non-battery knowledgeble, it's best to stick with an SLA. I have a 12.8V Nominal/8Ah LiFeP04 in mine. MUCH lighter and almost no self-discharge. And if I'm not mistaken, I still have one of Dan's "Barn Burner" ballasts in it giving about 80+ Watts. $25 bucks shipped on Amazon was what I found for an SLA.

therock

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thank You, Gonna note it down this time.
I have a 12.8V Nominal/8Ah LiFeP04 in mine.
How do you charge it, pull it out and connect? Please share?

BVH

BVH

Flashaholic
Supporter
Yes. I open the back door and plug the batt into my FMA or iCharger hobby balance chargers. I have lots of other Lithium Polymer and LiFeP04 batts for other uses. On another converted light, I installed panel plugs in the back cover so I simplly run cables from the charger to the plugs on the back cover. It's is an original Amondotech Illuminator.

therock

therock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I still have mt Tenergy charger from my RC Heli days.

KuanR

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I still have mt Tenergy charger from my RC Heli days.
Thinking about this again after I saw this post. Depending who built this, it might not have the original battery anymore. Mine had a Li-Po battery in it for more power/run time/ease of charging.

If I recall, JayRob was the guy that built mine. He did a ton of Maglite builds and sold quite a few. After he built my Thor conversion, he built a couple more and one for himself. He eventually sold the one he built for himself. Maybe you could contact him and see if he built yours?

IlluminatedOne

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I still have my two i made i have the smaller Thor and the bigger one both with a cheap 55w hid kit. Still quite fun lights mostly because people laugh at the the size of them lol.