Renewable energy ...important ...personal action

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: Renewable energy ...important ...personal acti

[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
dang! no I wasn't. now I am. whad I miss?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ted - You missed nothing that you can't find in hundreds of other threads. Me making an *** out of myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

newg

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, just realized there are all sorts of threads discussing these things already. Like the EV1 thread. Sorry if I repeated stuff, I've been here 2 years but pretty much never ventured outside the Arc forum.

Anyway I read the Dean article. He talks about Kyoto a lot. Has that been discussed here? I only get a few hits on a Kyoto search. I am all for reducing pollution. The problem with CO2, though is that is is almost a lost cause. I saw some graphs of global warming projections from the scientists worried about it and full implementation of Kyoto would only delay global warming levels by 3-5 years. In some cases I think it's better to do nothing and know there's still a problem rather than patting yourself on the back for doing something that is ultimately useless. I actually respected Bush for pulling out of Kyoto. I think that's more honest than signing it knowing that the senate will vote 99-0 not to ratify it. Plus Kyoto was essentially just a giant welfare program where we would give Russia money for their pollution coupons.

I think America can do alot to reduce its energy consumption in terms of efficiency (air conditioning, light bulbs,etc). I don't know how to get over the cost hurdles, though. I am less convinced that we can make a mass transition to "green" power production, unless you count nuclear as green.

Saaby

Flashaholic

How many years did it take them to get "clean coal" technology (Which is still dirty I understand).

Maybe in another 100 we'll have 'clean nuclear' probably not but you never know.

RAL

Newly Enlightened
No argument on all your points but it still remains a secondary issue for most Americans. Someday, someday.

Sadly, a lot of Canadians have this same "Someday" attitude. Whenever I feel like putting something off until "Someday" or tomorrow, I try to remind myself that yesterday has passed. I may not see tomorrow. The only time I have to do anything in life is NOW!

With the state of the availability of non-renewable resources, I firmly believe that NOW, is the time to be exploring alternatives.

Just my humble observation and oppinion.

Best wishes always,

RAL