Replace 120v Bi-Pin Bulb with LED

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to find LED replacements for the two little bi-pin bulbs, that light up my stove top, from inside the hood under my microwave. Right now I have two 35w 120v Halogen Bi-Pin bulbs that put out about 220 lumen each. I was hoping to find something LED to put out at least that much but 300 lumen each of warm white light would be even better. Anyone have any links for something like this? Actually I'm not sure about how many lumen the current bulbs emit but it would be great to get more lumen.

Last edited:

Deluminator

Newly Enlightened
I was working on a solution for something similar: 120 V 40 W candelabra base bulbs in a combination microwave/hood unit.

The thing that killed my project was heat.

This area is a hot environment - no problem for incandescent bulbs - but an added difficulty for a LED modification. In normal use the surface of the hood can get warm to the touch (100˚ F) without using the lights. In an adverse case, where someone would use the stove without using the exhaust fan, that area could get significantly warmer.
Additionally, the bulbs are in a protective enclosure - more heat buildup.
The heat dissipation budget required to keep high output LEDs cool is already a bit of a challenge. It looked like anything I could fit in the space available would require some sort of supplemental cooling. That's where the project became too expensive.

Eventually, someone will develop high temperature environment LEDs.
While I'm waiting, I'll look for something to replace the bulb in my refrigerator.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh wow! That's great info thanks! I ordered an led bulb that should be here any day. I'll update the thread once I try it out.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part just came in. Unfortunately, it is the wrong size :(

Too bad. I was excited to see it. Any suggestions? Though the heat concern is probably why there are no replacement LEDs for this application ATM.
synymera.jpg

ta7u5e6u.jpg

Deluminator

Newly Enlightened
Nice pictures.

There is a standard for pin size and spacing as well as bulb dimensions.
Of course, there are plenty of standards.;)

Your original bulb has 8.6 mm pin spacing (GY8.6) with a T4 diameter (4 x 1/8 inch).
The replacement looks like it may be a T3 with 4 mm pin spacing (G4).

Is this a great standard, or what? Bulb diameters are in eighth-inches and base pins are in millimeters.

I hope you can get something that is a closer fit.

Of course, I'm really curious about how long the LED will last when someone decides to turn up the heat and fricassee a 'possum.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
See my thread in this forum about my stovetop lights. Build your own and solder the wires to a broken-off bulb base to fit the two-pin socket. :)

Deluminator

Newly Enlightened
Nice work hydro_pyro. Now that's what I'm talking about: Get rid of the heat.
I like the way you use the big chunk of aluminum as a custom mount and heatsink.

The bulb base hack works, but I usually remove (or just disconnect) the socket and connect directly to the internal wiring. If something fails to stay together, a loose wire might kill the cook.

Because it's an easy way to get killed, I don't suggest that people work on line voltage AC circuits unless they confirm that they are experienced and comfortable with electrical service work.
A CR123 won't knock you over if you touch both terminals.
115 VAC can knock you down and then stomp on you until you're dead. A bad thing.