replaceing Q5/R2 with XP-G2

aau007

Enlightened
I tried to search the forum and could not find anything in general sense.

I believe the old Q5/R2 has the same dimension as the XP-G2. Does that mean I can just unsolder the Q5/R2 and directly replace with a XP-G2 and benefit from the higher lumens per watt, assuming I don't mess with the driver? Will this be the cheapest way to get more lumens out of an old light? How much brighter should I expect?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q5 and R2 is a binning.
what is needed is the type of LED. Q5 and R2 was usually referred to XR-E and XP-E Leds.

XP-E, XP-E2, XP-G, XP-G2, and XP-L have the same footprints. so all those LEDs can be interchanged without having to use a different MCPCB.

XR-E emitters were larger and requires a different MCPCB if you want to use a XP-G2 to replace it.
XR-E are the emitters with the metal ring around the LED.

in answer to your question, yes, you can upgrade the emitter, and get more lumens. but the beam pattern will probably change as well.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
You don't mention which light you have, but here's a similar mod that I did a few years ago:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...9-First-emitter-swap-Silverpoint-XP-G-upgrade

If your light has the LED on a "star" PCB like this one, then it's easiest to swap out the whole PCB: that way you only need to resolder the connecting wires. This is considerably easier than unsoldering / resoldering the LED chip itself.

aau007

Enlightened
You don't mention which light you have, but here's a similar mod that I did a few years ago:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...9-First-emitter-swap-Silverpoint-XP-G-upgrade

If your light has the LED on a "star" PCB like this one, then it's easiest to swap out the whole PCB: that way you only need to resolder the connecting wires. This is considerably easier than unsoldering / resoldering the LED chip itself.

I have some old Jetbeam lights with, I guess the XR-E Q5 and R2. I really like their IBS interface but want to see if there is an easy way to increase the brightness. Not sure if they have a star PCB but like you and skyfire said, with XR-E, I will need to replace the pcb. Not sure which pcb will fit, nor do I know if there are just simple wires to solder. I have not opened the lights and I cannot find any pictures of any Jetbeam IBS lights with the head opened.

blademan

Enlightened
I upgraded my jetbeam IBS and it was easy. I just swapped the star out. You just have to get the right size star.