Replacement for Philips 75 Watt Halogen Spot 16 Track Lighting Bulb

J.Ghost

Newly Enlightened
I am in the process of replacing my tracking lighting bulbs with energy saving bulbs.

The subject line says it all.

I need to replace 3 Philips track lighting 75 Watt 120 Volt Spot 16 halogen bulbs.

Bonus question: Do the Philips bulbs contain mercury? If so, how should I safely dispose of these bulbs?

Thanks,

Jay

dss_777

Enlightened
Quick answer: either replace with lower wattage halogen bulbs, or use LED equivalent replacements.

The lower wattage halogens will have the best color rendition, but obviously not as bright, and nowhere near as cheap to run as LEDs. But, they may work, depending on your application.

The LED bulbs are very cheap to run, but much more expensive to buy, and not as bright. Many have weird light color, too. A quick search didn't see any brighter than 50 Watt equivalent, and the beam shape is 20 degree spread, compared to 10 degree spread of the halogen spots. So they're going to be less bright and more diffuse- might work, depending...

Another option is replace the light heads with LED versions, but with the same issues of brightness, color, and shape of the beam.

Yiou just have to run the numbers, and then figure in what you need the lights do.