Replacement LED bulbs polarity

Emoreira

Newly Enlightened
I have a Technisub Lumen X6 dive torch with incandescent bulb (
I replaced the original incandescent bulb with a LED Bulb TTS 1 Watt CREE XPE LED Torch Bulb from The Torch Site.

Web store links removed

All dive torchs I have handy have negative central pin, while on-land general purpose torchs have positive central pin.

Any idea why this difference ?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having built my own lights with my own drivers, I'd say it probably isn't spite, but that it was easier to build that way or provided some kind of benefit (like better heatsinking of the driver to the case). You'd have to get into the esoterics of the design to know for sure. It's like the Brits driving on the left and Yanks on the right. I've heard that was out of spite, but I'm not sure I believe it, nor know who had spite for whom.

Emoreira

Newly Enlightened
Having built my own lights with my own drivers, I'd say it probably isn't spite, but that it was easier to build that way or provided some kind of benefit (like better heatsinking of the driver to the case). You'd have to get into the esoterics of the design to know for sure. It's like the Brits driving on the left and Yanks on the right. I've heard that was out of spite, but I'm not sure I believe it, nor know who had spite for whom.

I could verify this in many dive torchs built by different gear manufacturers. I own two Technisub Lumen X6 and Underwater Quinectics UQ40 mini. I also could see this in some other brands and models.

Latest posts