Replacing a broken tritium vial...

persco

Enlightened
I have a Steve Ku Ti 38DD. One of the trit vials broke and I'd like to replace it. Is there a practical way to dissolve the Norland 61 so I can replace the vial and re-adhere a new one?

Thanks everyone!

hombreluhrs

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the forum that you can gently heat the adhesive with a hair dryer then pry it out carefully .. I guess you don't have to be that careful as you said the vials already broken .

persco

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the forum that you can gently heat the adhesive with a hair dryer then pry it out carefully .. I guess you don't have to be that careful as you said the vials already broken .

Thanks for replying! I'll try my wife's hairdryer. Seems cured Norland would be more resistant to heat than that, but who knows? Thanks again! I also read someone suggest acetone, but couldn't find a thread where anyone actually tried it and confirmed that this worked.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
A air dryer won't work, you need a heat gun. Once it has started to soften, you can use a hook tool (like this) to remove the old norland. Clean the slot with alcohol before installing a new trit.

persco

Enlightened
A air dryer won't work, you need a heat gun. Once it has started to soften, you can use a hook tool (like this) to remove the old norland. Clean the slot with alcohol before installing a new trit.

Thanks! I have the hook tool, but I don't have a heat gun. Could I use a different source of heat that doesn't require me buying a new piece of hardware I wont ever use again?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once used a dremel with a 7134 bit (see here) and it worked. You just need to be very careful not to enlarge or scrape the slot. I guess a little bit of acetone might help to soften the norland although I'm not certain. Use the hook tool for the little left overs of norland.

kemosabex

Newly Enlightened
I've recently successfully removed Norland using boiling hot water. Just dip it in low enough to submerge the trit for 10 seconds or so, and then gently pry out. Once softened, the Norland breaks apart pretty clean. Repeat as necessary to remove everything.

You might have to angle it so you only expose the broken trit to heat- if I remember correctly, the 38DD has two trits parallel to each other?

persco

Enlightened
I've recently successfully removed Norland using boiling hot water. Just dip it in low enough to submerge the trit for 10 seconds or so, and then gently pry out. Once softened, the Norland breaks apart pretty clean. Repeat as necessary to remove everything.

You might have to angle it so you only expose the broken trit to heat- if I remember correctly, the 38DD has two trits parallel to each other?

Yes. it has two, but if I'm replacing one, might as well replace both. I will try the boiling water.

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very good idea...

:thumbsup:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
acetone doesn't work. rubbing alcohol doesn't either.
i remember reading you can heat it up.
i just used a thick needle and gently tap til all the pieces fell out. wear eye protection of course and work in an area you can clean up. good luck.

persco

Enlightened
acetone doesn't work. rubbing alcohol doesn't either.
i remember reading you can heat it up.
i just used a thick needle and gently tap til all the pieces fell out. wear eye protection of course and work in an area you can clean up. good luck.

I appreciate this. Thank you!

kemosabex

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to use the boiling water method, be extra careful with the one vial that isn't broken (unless you don't care if it breaks)
While this method removes the Norland completely, I was not careful and ended up breaking a perfectly good vial :(

Last edited:

persco

Enlightened
If you are going to use the boiling water method, be extra careful with the one vial that isn't broken (unless you don't care if it breaks)
While this method removes the Norland completely, I was not careful and ended up breaking a perfectly good vial :(

Thanks Kemosabex. I'm going to try to spare the good vial, but I will order two replacements just in case I bust the good one :laughing:.