Rescued a Vise & Rescued a Motor

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
So I rescued this vise that was sitting in someone's backyard. It sure looks like a bullet vise but doesn't say Wilton on it anywhere that I can see. Maybe under the paint but I don't think so. Is there a way to tell if it is a Wilton? There's are some numbers casted on it & stamped. I'm not getting my hopes up but if it isn't, no big deal, I got it for free through a good friend. It's a 6" & that sucker is heavy! Even if it's not a Wilton I'll still restore it somewhat & keep it. Were there copies of the Wilton vises?

Img_9547.jpg

Img_9567.jpg

Img_9568.jpg

Img_9565.jpg

This I got from another good friend. He bought an IR compressor that was set up for 1 phase & 3 phase. We configured it for 1 phase, he didn't need the extra motor so I asked for it. Again, no money exchanged for it. Looking at the name plate I figured I could use it for my lathe one day. Will this work for my lathe w/ a VFD?

Img_9553.jpg

Img_9559.jpg

Both of these are not projects I will get into anytime soon but at least I have them for a rainy day.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Yep, that motor should be right at home on an HF 7x10 lathe.

:crackup:

That would be a sight to see, trying to hang a 5 HP motor on a 7x12! Never really was interested in upgrading my lathe but if I do decide to put it on my 12x36 I don't see a need to try & run it at full power.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Well it looks like I may have scored a Wilton 1760 6" Tradesman vise. :)

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Well it looks like I may have scored a Wilton 1760 6" Tradesman vise. :)
That's my guess also. Everything about it says Wilton-Wilton-Wilton. Their swivel base is the best available anywhere & you'll see why when you tear it down.

Nice motor for a 12" or 14" lathe. You'll need a 10hp 3ph vector drive & they are pricey, roughly $700 for any name brand. That motor pulls 14 FLA meaning you'll need a drive capacity of 28 (or more) FLA. The de-rating factor is always 50% & here's why ...

• The square root of 3 (phase) is 1.73
  • FLA of your motor are 14
  • 14A x 1.73 = 24A
  • The nearest drive capacity (that has any margin for error or overload capacity) is 28A (same as 10hp)

Said a different way:

• VFD Input Current = Motor Current Rating x 1.73

Or take the reciprocal of 1.73 which is 0.57

• 0.57 x 28 (amps) = 16A drive capacity, just a bit over the 14A your motor pulls at full load.
Bottom line is that motor needs a minimum 10hp drive when run on 1ph.

Last edited:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Just remember, there ARE VFDs (I have 2 of them) that are designed for single phase input, and output their rated HP on a single phase drive, but they are usually lower HP (1 and down) HP units. There is one on my mill, one on my surface grinder, and a spare because I thought I was having problems with the one on the SG

StrikerDown

Enlightened
Barry,

If you were to use a lower HP VFD on the 5 HP motor would it not work (burn something up) or would it simply limit the HP output of the motor?
Most of these small lathes do not need a 5 hp motor to operate within the limits of their rigidity do they?

StrikerDown

Enlightened
Will,

You gotta know that this post has made a bunch of people very jealous!

That vise looks to be in real good shape, as long as the chip in the fixed jaw shelf is only on the side and not all the way across. The jaws, anvil handles an all look like they have not been beaten to death like so many Wiltons! I've been looking at them on ebay for a real long time and can't seem to land a decent one for a reasonable price. I hope you buy your buddy a case of his favorite beverage for the kind gift!!!:devil:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Will,

You gotta know that this post has made a bunch of people very jealous!

That vise looks to be in real good shape, as long as the chip in the fixed jaw shelf is only on the side and not all the way across. The jaws, anvil handles an all look like they have not been beaten to death like so many Wiltons! I've been looking at them on ebay for a real long time and can't seem to land a decent one for a reasonable price. I hope you buy your buddy a case of his favorite beverage for the kind gift!!!:devil:

:grin2:

Yeah that piece that is broken off is only on that one side but it's a good size chunk, probably still fine as is though. i was kind of bumed when i saw it. Probably why the handle/bar is bent too so it did get somewhay abused at least once. there's one hole drilled in on of the jaws also. Still can't complain for what "I didn't pay for it". Thinking about getting it brazed in & reshaping if I can find someone we know that can do it. I'll clean up all the rust & strip the paint soon but as far as restoring it not a big priority right now, someday.

My buddies who gave me these items are very good friends, we do a lot of favors for each other. All their mechanical work, electrical, machining, & just any kind of help is always free from me. I never charge these kind of friends.

StrikerDown

Enlightened
Bent handle and a hole drilled in the jaw too!
It's trashed send it to me and I'll recycle the cast iron for you!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Haha! Even if you were on the small list of old close friends it would be a big fat maybe.....no. :laughing:

The hole in the jaw is small & won't affect anything. New jaws are $35 anyway. The handle, if I can'T bend it back worse case scenerio is to cut it off & make a new one, I rather save the original though.

Not sure if i trust anyone to fill that broken area in fear that the rest of the casting will crack if not done correctly. I don't have experience doing it so I won't try. Just a quick thought, ether I may send it to someone on the east coast if it's not too crazy expensive or just fill it in with epoxy mixed with cast iron shavings. I know it won't serve any purpose except for cosmetics. I'll take a pic of the area after I clean it.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... If you were to use a lower HP VFD on the 5 HP motor would it not work (burn something up) or would it simply limit the HP output of the motor?
Good point. VFDs for 1ph input are not expensive through 3hp. A 3hp drive could be used by setting the max amp parameter to correspond with max amps for the drive & it would allow the motor to produce 3hp before it faulted out on over current.

Torque is the justification to use a 10hp drive to get full output from the 5hp motor. At 1800 rpm a motor develops 3 lb ft per hp so:
  • The 3hp motor makes 9 lb ft
  • The 5hp motor makes 15 lb ft
  • With a vector drive the motor makes full torque at all rpm (down to about 1% of nameplate).
  • HP is proportional to motor speed so 1/2 of full nameplate speed = 1/2 of rated hp, etc.
Using the larger motor means fewer (or no) gearbox speed changes. Almost all modern machine tools start with a good sized motor, usually around 10hp, and direct drive the spindle without using any type of gear reduction.

Size matters:nana: