reverse polarity protection - Zebralight and in general all 1AA and 2AA lights

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
Although Zebralight doesn't say that their lights have reverse polarity protection, will it hurt anything if you put the battery in backwards?

In general, is reverse polarity a problem with 1AA and 2AA lights? I don't know the electronics well enough. How does reversing the polarity permanently harm the electronics of LED lights? Don't diodes only let current in from one direction, and act as a barrier for current going in the opposite direction? Or is there possible harm to the boost/switching circuit?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lights' ability to cope with a reverse polarity situation has nothing to do with the battery voltage or chemistry. Some lights utilise a simple mechanical 'reverse polarity protection' with a couple of 'bumps' surrrounding the positive terminal to restrict a flat, negative battery terminal from making contact with the positive terminal of the light. Other lights use a diode to stop a reverse current situation.

More advanced lights like the HDS Clicky have a more complex non-diode dependant system that I honestly don't understand.:thinking:

In summary, be very careful with lights like Nitecore D10/D20s etc. With a backwards battery, these lights will experience the old 'magic smoke' routine everytime!!!:green:

James....

coachclass

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of afraid to try it on my Zebra. Has anyone accidentally put in a battery backwards in their Zebras? Anything bad happen?