Review: Acebeam EC50 GEN II: XHP70, 3000 lumens, 1 x 26650; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
A lot of torches of the "next-generation" come (and will come in future) with a powerful XHP70 LED built-in. Because there's only one 26650-cell needed, these lights are pocked-sized. So it's possible now to have 3000 lumens in your pocket. The Acebeam EC50 GEN II is one of this generation; in this review we have a closer look at this compact power-light, also side by side to another torch in the same output-class. Of course, we also go outside with both ones, to see how they perform. Let's kick off!

the second generation of the Acebeam EC50
28mpjxw.jpg

pocket-sized and rechargeable
2nst5ba.jpg

up to 3000 lumens by a XHP70 LED
2i7btdj.jpg

thanks to its compact size….
2m5yx3p.jpg

it can be carried every day
23iypz6.jpg

To start with, the features and specifications here, given by Acebeam:

• CREE XHP70 LED with a lifespan of 50,000hours
• Max Output 3000lumens Use 1*26650 battery (included)
• Working Voltage:3V-6V
• Max Runtime 900hrs
• Max beam 302 meters
• Peak beam intensity 22800cd
• Impact resistant 1.2meters
• Waterproof : IPX-8 Standard (2meters)
• Orange-peel reflector gives perfect beam and throw.

• Digitally regulated output- maintains constant brightness
• Side switch on the body
• Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
• Made of durable aircraft grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

• Streamlined body design
• Battery reverse protection function. And batteries low indication
(it will flash when voltage down to 3v)

• Intelligent temperature controlled light-output for user safety
• Specially designed for military, law enforcement, self-defense, hunting, search and rescue and outdoor activities

The dimensions:

• Length: 5.2" (132mm)
• Head Diameter: 1.6"(40mm)
• Tube Diameter: 1.2" (30mm)
• Weight: 4.5oz (128g)(without battery)

And the output specs:
setykj.jpg

Unboxing:

Like we are used of, Acebeam always takes good care about the package. The EC50 Gen II arrives in a sturdy light-brown box. Personally, I like these boxes, because it's easy to restore the light and you can open the package without tearing the carton. At the box some prints and specialties about the light in black and orange color. Inside it looks neat: Branded sachets for the spare parts and lanyard, a gold-plated USB-charging-cable and a plastic warranty-card. The box is ready-to-go: Only thing we need is a charger or USB-port to charge the EC50 Gen II. So, again a nice and complete package here. I took some pictures of the box and the contents, please scroll down!

a nice, light-brown box
6stp2b.jpg

the specialties of the light mentioned at the box
2j671ja.jpg

Acebeam takes care of their packages!
2wdc6d4.jpg

unboxed: the light, holster, charging-cable, warranty card, manual and spare O-rings

2nsubo.jpg

Impressions:

The Acebeam EC50 Gen II is a mid-sized torch that has a relative thick tube because of its power source, a 26650-cell. But daily carrying this light in your coat pocket should not give any problem, it's easy to carry. Personally I like the looks of the EC50 Gen II: The knurling, the fins and the bezel give the light powerful looks. The light is in deep-black color and is built and finished very well. No defects found on the anodizing, and the laser-engraving is clear and well-done. In contrast to the first batches my EC50 has a different print below the power-button, in the same tint as the button and the bezel. The micro-USB charging port is protected by a rubber cover. That cover closes properly, because when you remove it, a "pop" is heard. I hope it will last for years, Acebeam doesn't provide a spare-one in the package. I'm happy with the good anti-rolling design of this one. Looking into the lights' head we see an orange-peel reflector (I detected a tiny spot in the reflector) and a well-centered XHP70 LED. Looking into a reflector that has a "four-in-one" LED shows (for your eyes only) a typical bloom-shape. During releasing the cap I noticed that the threads run smooth and are lubed well. Striking detail is the red O-ring, I saw this earlier at…. the Nitecore TM03. No glue or solder rests in the cap or tube, Acebeam really takes care about the finishing. Let's have a look at a couple of pictures below, that show more impressions and details!

compact, but a rather thick body
2lk4glf.jpg

a nice design and powerful looks
a29g0w.jpg

no problem to carry it often
2untw6s.jpg

steady tailstand, usable as a candle thanks to the good low mode
6ifeon.jpg

can't be hidden in your hand's palm, but compact relative to its output!
33mu1le.jpg

well built, excellent finished
24c5e2s.jpg

in deep-black color
nwdeet.jpg

a branded 26650-cell is included
20rusuv.jpg

the XHP70 LED brings both output and throw
mux5xu.jpg

nice details on the finishing
1zxa929.jpg

the XHP70 is well centered
2nl8c3b.jpg

the micro-USB port is protected by a rubber cover
xvwd5.jpg

a red O-ring and well machined and lubed threads
ztiryw.jpg

a look into the cap
29wpzzq.jpg

and the tube
161mj39.jpg

a tiny spot in the reflector visible
szd6l1.jpg

good care on the finishing, eye for details
2mo4etk.jpg

sturdy holster, the EC50 Gen II fits well
6h858i.jpg

the lanyard added-on
iy3kuv.jpg

the "four-in-one" XHP70 LED
23vjp92.jpg

the USB-cover is also branded
r0qrfn.jpg

charging in an easy job
k9dqwn.jpg

the charging indicator is hard to check
156zfqw.jpg

again ready for action!
2lk4d1h.jpg

EC50 Gen II: power in your pocket
2z5nn2c.jpg

nice option for searching-jobs
5lar06.jpg

User interface:

The EC50 Gen II has a compact shape, a rather thick tube but fits therefore good in a man's hand. The head that has a lot of cooling-fins and the knurling protect in a proper way against accidentally slipping out of your hand. The light is not too heavy. Charging of the light is an easy job: plug in the micro-USB jack and connect it to a cell-phone charger or anything like that. The indicator is not that bright, but will inform you about the progress. Keep in mind that a big 26650-cell needs a longer charging-time.

All modes and functions of the EC50 Gen II are controlled by the same power button. Personally, this button is not my favorite: I would have seen a button that needs a firmer press and with a stiff structure. With this button, there's the risk of accidentally-on, and during cycling through the modes I picked regularly the wrong one because of the "week feels" of the button. So, I hope that Acebeam will bring back the rubber on a next version….

The operation of the EC50 Gen II is not a difficult one: Press of on and off, the light will start in memorized mode, except Turbo or Strobe. Press and hold the button to cycle through the four normal modes. The Turbo mode is an instant-one: two quick clicks (both from on or off) will enter the highest output. Three quick clicks will bring you in Strobe. Those modes (Turbo and Strobe) are locked: this means that you can't cycle to another desired mode, you first have to shut off the light. The EC50 Gen II has also instant-Firefly mode; this mode can only be activated from off. Press and hold the button to activate. In contrast to the other direct-modes, you can go to the other normal modes out of Firefly. You can lock and unlock the light by pressing and holding the switch for more than 3 seconds, and is indicated by three slow flashes. The torch has a built-in overheat protection, this is needed on a light like this, it gets really hot in a few minutes.

Modes:

The EC50 Gen II has in total five normal output modes, in order of: FIREFLY > LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. Except the lack of a mode between 1 and 80 lumens the spacing is good. Three instant/ special modes: direct-FIREFLY, instant-TURBO and instant-STROBE. Two ways to LOCK-OUT the light: by pressing and holding the button and by releasing the cap a little. Overall, I'm satisfied about the modes the EC50 Gen II offers, especially the instant-FIREFLY and TURBO.

Size comparison:

A comparison here to another light in the same lumen-class and also powered by the powerful XHP70 LED, the Nitecore TM03.

26650-cell, Acebeam EC50 Gen II and Nitecore TM03
2pzz96p.jpg

Acebeam EC50 Gen II and Nitecore TM03
2jdxsw.jpg

6rmtm0.jpg

66gn68.jpg

both powered by XHP70 LED
2u5eydh.jpg

the tails: Acebeam EC50 Gen II and Nitecore TM03
2920mq1.jpg

Tint:

I was little surprised by the tint of the EC50 Gen II. It seems more neutral than cool-white, especially when its shown against the little bluish Nitecore TM03. Personally, I'm happy with this tint.

jkako0.jpg

Beamprofile:

A mixed profile here: big spot and corona, little spill. Not an impressive thrower, but the EC50 Gen II emits a wall of light. It's a clean beam, no rings or defects visible. Neither PWM detected at any mode, so the beam and the profile is ok to me.

Beamshots:

Let's have a look now how the EC50 Gen II performs! Starting by projecting the light at a white wall, distance about 0,75 meters.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, 35mm
24guidh.jpg

2gui9t3.jpg

m9ncpc.jpg

2m3qw5x.jpg

atvozm.jpg

GIF-picture:
8znpy9.jpg

Going outdoors now with the EC50 Gen II now! The pictures show the mixed beamprofile and the good output. Starting with the five normal modes and a GIF, after that a shoot-out against the Nitecore TM03.

Camera-settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4 sec, 35mm
2010nkw.jpg

2h2if6a.jpg

2po3z39.jpg

amr2ms.jpg

ormt8h.jpg

GIF-picture:
2lcmbdd.jpg

the EC50 Gen II against the Nitecore TM03, both lights at Turbo
oqwth4.jpg

The second location is a road with trees at left and a dam at right side. The Nitecore has better throw, the EC50 Gen II a nicer beam and better color rendering.

Acebeam EC50 Gen II at Turbo
29e2d1g.jpg

Nitecore TM03 at Turbo
e5n1uu.jpg

animation
11j1wm1.jpg

Conclusion:

At the end of this review I can tell you my overall impression of this light is a good one. It is a well-built and finished light, is rather compact, so daily carrying doesn't require that much effort. Charging is an easy job, and the light comes including a cell, so you're ready to go. It produces a clean and nice mixed beam that has a good tint too. The Turbo mode is a nice feature to impress and for quick search, but will not last for that long; for longer jobs the High-mode is the better option, also because it drains the cell quickly. So a good point in my opinion that Turbo is an instant and separate mode.

Main issue to me that I want to see improved is the power button. I would like to see a (illuminated) rubber switch that better grip and pressure point.

But I can recommend the EC50 Gen II: it emits a wall of nice light!

Special thanks to Acebeam that I could enter to the Global Test Campaign!

Last edited:

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Thanks for the hard work,and excellent review. I really am liking the beam on this light. Can't wait until I can afford to purchase this light .

spotlight76

Newly Enlightened
High mode for Nitecore TM03 is 1350lms for 45min and for Acebeam 1500lms for 2hrs. Quite a difference.

ven

Flashaholic
Great review/pics as always, love the beam pics............to me the ec50 II is perfect! Nice wall of light and the cool(ish) tint looks good too, better than the tm03 anyway(to me).

harro

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review kj75.
Sorry, just to clear it up for me, the normal operation is, firefly-low-mid-high, with access to turbo being a quick double click from any of the normal outputs, or is it firefly-low-mid-high-turbo repeating ??
Many thanks,
Mike.

tops2

Enlightened
Sounds like turbo is not part of the cycle. And sounds like the only way to exit turbo is turn off the light. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

maukka

Enlightened
Sounds like turbo is not part of the cycle. And sounds like the only way to exit turbo is turn off the light. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's correct. Also, if you access moonlight by a long press from off, it is not memorized unlike when you activate it by cycling.

kj75

Enlightened
Sorry, just to clear it up for me, the normal operation is, firefly-low-mid-high, with access to turbo being a quick double click from any of the normal outputs, or is it firefly-low-mid-high-turbo repeating ??
Many thanks,
Mike.

The answer is given by @Maukka already, thanks!

To me, not a big problem if turbo isn't part of the cycle, because I use that mode can't be used for long time

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review!

I too would like to see a small LED beacon under the power button or next to it. Side click lights need some help if you need to find the button in the dark quickly.

kj75

Enlightened
Great review!

I too would like to see a small LED beacon under the power button or next to it. Side click lights need some help if you need to find the button in the dark quickly.

I fully agree! And a stiff structure.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore has a larger, deeper reflector and much less spill/flood in the beam than the Acebeam. But when you look at the distant trees in the beamshots, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the Acebeam and Nitecore. Why is this? I would have expected the Nitecore to light up the distant trees a lot more than the Acebeam. Maybe the pictures aren't showing the extra throw of the Nitecore?

butmrpdf

Newly Enlightened
I own a TN4A NW XP-L V6 (orange peel reflector) with a peak beam intensity of around 26k. Acebeam's EC 50 gen 2 peak beam intensity is around the 23k mark, however Acebeam's beam profile looks much more pleasing to my eye (going by the review photos) with it's indistinct hotspot.

I do not quite like the tight hotspot of the TN4A, and although it's a very nice light I would have bought a floody light had I known about beam profiles earlier on. I have placed a circular wax paper to cover just the lens and now it's a 120 degree flood much to my liking (albeit at a cost of some lumens lost.)

The question I intend to ask is how come with approximately the same CD rating the beam profile of these lights so different? Does the 3 times higher lumen output of the Acebeam come into play?

Last edited:

start90a

Newly Enlightened
my sample of EC50 has about 140 houndred CD. The difference with the tn4a are on the emitter size (the lower size, the more intensity), the bigger diameter of tn4a (more intensity). So they have not the same throw nor the same beam type.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for review! I like tailstandable single cell lights. I guess turbomode is a few minutes and then a drop to high mode like usual with single cell high output lights. But high mode of 1500lm is more useful and while 2hours probably is not available 1,5hours may be possible.

And I like that firefly and turbomode are excluded from the memory!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was able to try out an EC50 GENII and I loved everything about the light except the switch.

Hopefully the GENIII addresses this, but until then I'll [sadly] have to pass.