Review + beamshots Armytek Barracuda XM-L2 (max. 1390 lumens; 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123A

kj75

Enlightened
Let's take a look at the Armytek Barracuda. The Barracuda is currently the flagship of the Canadian flashlight manufacturer . This tactical lamp is designed to illuminate objects far away.

2ltheyp.jpg

The (factory) specifications :
- XM -L2 LED
- 4 light modes :
- Low 30 lumens ( 60 hours )
- Medium , 170 lumens (17 hours )
- High, 820 lumens ( 2 hours and 40 minutes )
- Turbo, 1390 ( 1 hour and 30 minutes)
- Powered by 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123 batteries
- Digital control for consistent light output
- Up to 520 meter range
- Waterproof and dustproof according to the highest IP-68 standard
- Hardened glass lens with special coating for maximum light output
- Length : 26.5 cm
- Thickness : 2.54 cm (body )
- Head diameter : 6.4 cm
- Weight : 398 grams
- Weight including 2 x 18650 batteries ( 3400 Mha ) 513 grams

Packaging and accessories:

The lamp comes in a plastic carrying case which, besides the lamp, a spare switch and spare o- rings and a case that you can confirm to the belt. And, of course, the manual.

carrying case
2cpopwn.jpg

And a look into the case: storing the light in protective foam, user manual, spare switch, o-rings and holster
sd1s8l.jpg

finishing:

Finishing an anodizing is one of the best I've seen until now! It is finished with a matte black, a bit stiff touch coating which allows to handle the lamp comfortably and securely. The threads are well greased and XM-L2 is properly centered in the deep lamp head. I'm sure this light will last for many years!

A look into the deep reflector containing the XM -L2 led
t6b3lx.jpg

The threads and below the double O- rings
qyg3n4.jpg

The threads are well greased , which guarantees long life
14k9uft.jpg

The inside of the lamp head with gold-plated contacts
2efpd81.jpg

A look into the end cap
169ndyr.jpg

Very narrow house battery , therefore perfectly in the hand
r7pyyu.jpg

The lamp in 3 parts together with 18650 batteries
spvul5.jpg

and a look at the impressive head with deep reflector
288z19i.jpg

comes with well-fitting holster
29zx8pd.jpg

some detail pictures
2w2r7ns.jpg

351s8zo.jpg

jiot46.jpg

20qyg5f.jpg

6sfaf6.jpg

11jrxhu.jpg

User interface

The Barracuda is a tactical light , that means that the operation is by the switch at the rear of the lamp unit. The lamp has 4 modes and momentary-on. With the head tightened the light is always at full power. With the head a quarter loosened, you can cycle between the three lower modes, Low-Mid-High. No strobe or SOS-mode can be found. Momentary-on works properly, though the clicky tends to "click through " so the lamp will be switched on continuously.

Beam Profile

The barracuda is a thrower with a big hotspot and a fairly wide corona wich pretty evenly becomes the spill, so it is not only designed for searching/throwing. Personally I like the beamprofile: No rings or holes can be found. The light color is cool white. Armytek can also deliver the Barracuda in neutral white if you want to.

White wall beamshots

Distance to white wall 0,75 meters, camera at 1,25 meters

ISO 200, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2qs1f1l.jpg

20ge6ja.jpg

2qx9qqa.jpg

22dkco.jpg

Animated
rkr28l.jpg

Some outdoor beamshots (all taken with the lamp on turbo mode)

distance to pylon + - 285 meters
o6k8xd.jpg

distance to the trees: about 225 meters
346w0ow.jpg

distance across river about 250 meters
ivctax.jpg

Note: I've made some comparison shots with other lights. You can find them here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ix-TK35-U2-Armytek-Barracuda-XM-L2-Fenix-TK61

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?382929-Comparison-shots-Fenix-TK35-U2-and-Armytek-Barracuda-XM-L2&p=4403793&viewfull=1 - post4403793

size comparison:

from left to right: Fenix E35ue, Fenix TK35, Armytek Barracuda, Fenix TK61
ht6utl.jpg

2ui84g8.jpg

conclusion:

What I like about the Barracuda? The excellent built quality and the beam profile. A lamp in this weight class with such a slim body that reaches this distance is difficult to be found. It also fits in a large pocket , though most users will prefer to take him in the case The lamp is well finished and looks luxurious with the matte black finish . It was no problem for me to light up objects between 300 and 400 meter, and between 200 and 300 meters you can light up everything . The lamp weighs almost half a Maglite 3D! Partly because of the long runtime on just two 18650 batteries (one and a half hour, manufacturer specs), this lamp is ideal for searching, security and police officers. The lamp is dustproof and waterproof to 50 meters! Improve points for me are the lack of a lanyard or neck strap and switching between the light modes. I really love this lightweight lightgun!

:twothumbs Thanks to knivesandtools.nl for providing me this review sample :twothumbs

Last edited: