Review: Convoy L6 (XHP-70, 2x26650)

stephenk

Enlightened
It's still there.

You make a good point about the battery differences being multipled. However, more cells are readily available in the 68-72mm range, so I think it would've been better for it to work in that range instead of 65-70mm. Still a great light and not a scam, but could've been a little bit better.
I should have looked up a few posts higher to the unecessary comment.

The current battery length range allows for most unprotected and most (but not all) protected. Had the design allowed for the longest protected cells available then it may have ruled out most unprotected cells. So I think Convoy's choice was made carefully. Unfortunately I don't think that Convoy were aware that the newer shorter Keeppowers were not readily available at many retailers who still had old stock of the longer version.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not actually almost all non protected 26650 batteries are over 65mm

Hmmm...good to know.

I guess lithium-ion cylindrical sizes are more of a loose nomenclature system then, rather than an actual standard. Alkaline sizes, in contrast, seem to be defined +/- 0.5mm.

One of the numerous reasons lithium ions aren't quite ready for the general public, I guess.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how often do you see differently discharged batteries in a pair? Why do you try to shove unshovable? I guess a couple of good quality IMRs (they are always unprotected) would settle the size problem forever.
When you do you won't be happy. Buying good batteries helps, but many Li-Ion batteries show a cell-to-cell variation that could cause an issue as they age and the capacity difference widens. Just do the right thing and use protected cells for this series configuration... why shove? .... why not be safe?

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Anyone know if the l6 lense is ar coated on both sides? I had it out because the inside was somewhat dirty when I received it and I don't remember which side was facing out? Thanks.

funkyman909

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't seem to find any forum on batteries so i thought i might as well ask here. I ordered a convoy L6 from bang good along with the proper keeppower batteries, anyways long story short the flash light arrived and the batteries never came. Im dying to use my first high quality light but I cant. Does anyone have suggestions for where I should buy another set, or another good brand of 26650's that work with this light as well??

Edit: I did find a site called illumn.com and they say that they have them for 9 dollars a piece... It seems too good to be true. Does anyone know if this site is trust worthy?

Last edited:

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Illumn is a rock solid, trustworthy place to buy from. Make sure you get the 69.5mm cells, sounds like you already know that.

In the mean time you could rig a couple 18650s like I did here. Obviously you need to be extremely careful, but you will get to fire up your light.

funkyman909

Newly Enlightened
Illumn is a rock solid, trustworthy place to buy from. Make sure you get the 69.5mm cells, sounds like you already know that.

In the mean time you could rig a couple 18650s like I did here. Obviously you need to be extremely careful, but you will get to fire up your light.

I am like hard core flashlight virgin so sadly I don't have any 18650's like most of you.. :/ :whistle: haha thank you though I appreciate the help! :)

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
got mine from there along with a charger(and fit). came in about 3-4 days.

batteries work perfect.

funkyman909

Newly Enlightened
http://www.illumn.com/26650-keeppower-5200mah-protected-high-discharge-flat-top.html

these batteries ^ say that they are the new 69.5mm but in some of the reviews people are saying they received the old 71mm... im not sure if they just ordered the wrong ones ((the reviws are a year to half a year old)) or if they used to have the old batteries stocked under the same url. I posed a question so perhaps I shall wait for a response from the site. :shakehead

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
http://www.illumn.com/26650-keeppower-5200mah-protected-high-discharge-flat-top.html

these batteries ^ say that they are the new 69.5mm but in some of the reviews people are saying they received the old 71mm... im not sure if they just ordered the wrong ones ((the reviws are a year to half a year old)) or if they used to have the old batteries stocked under the same url. I posed a question so perhaps I shall wait for a response from the site. :shakehead

just order them. i just bought mine like 4 days ago. got them yesterday.

i'm like 5 days behind you lol. i just ordered the same light. I'm totally new to this all too

ordered the vp2.
charge 3.6 - 1A

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep us posted on the length of the cells you actually get. I got the old 71.5mm 5200mah protected 26650's they are such a tight fit in my L6 the positive end of one of the cells dented inward when I screwed the tail cap down tight. But yes the VP2 is an above average lithium ion only charger. Just leave it at the 3.6v setting unless you get some cells that dictate otherwise. Charge them at the full 1 amp setting. You could charge them at 2 amps with zero ill effects if you had a charger that charged at that rate. 5200mah is a LOT of capacity. Even on the full 1 amp setting you are looking at roughly 4 hours or more to charge.

NICSAK

Enlightened
I ordered a set of the 69.5 from illumn last weekend and received the correct ones (not 71.5). They work great in the L6. They are a little snug diameter wise though but do fit.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be wrong, but why are you so afraid of unprotected IMRs? All you need is timely check of battery voltage to avoid the weaker cell over discharge. Having a good DMM, I enjoy battery checking :)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
because GearBest specifically states to use protected cells for safeties sake. It was either GB or Convoy themselves cannot remember which but I err on the side of caution...

NICSAK

Enlightened
I might be wrong, but why are you so afraid of unprotected IMRs? All you need is timely check of battery voltage to avoid the weaker cell over discharge. Having a good DMM, I enjoy battery checking :)

That's actually all I use in my lights as well. Almost all unprotected. I got the protected for when I let my dad use it[emoji4]

funkyman909

Newly Enlightened
just order them. i just bought mine like 4 days ago. got them yesterday.

i'm like 5 days behind you lol. i just ordered the same light. I'm totally new to this all too

ordered the vp2.
charge 3.6 - 1A
Haha thats awesome man! I hope you're enjoying the light. :)

dustynell

Newly Enlightened
After 5 weeks of shipping time I finally got my L6!!! What a beast! I chose the 4000mah high amp King Kong cells very carefully for length. The threads and O ring were dry as bone when I got it so thankfully I have lots of Nyogel on hand. Man this thing is crazy bright! Build quality seems pretty good as well. For such a high powered light I am surprised they did not go with 2x32650's. I like the mode spacing well done! I wish it had the Convoy logo on the side. Despite the L6's crazy output it does not throw near as well as my 2200 lumen ET MX25L2 which I found kind of surprising but hey for what you pay you get a LOT! As for cells I have seen a few YT vids from users that think they got a bad light but are using cells that are to long. It was the King Kongs or the new SoShine 5500mah cells. Never tried Kongs but am happy I gave them a shot.

4000mah high amp King Kong cells fit just fine or a bit snug? (ah, never mind, I found the answer in one of your later posts. =)

thank you

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
I just bought this light. Arrives Monday.
This photograph is part of what sold me on it hands down....love this photo!

The batteries for it already arrived...2 x AWT 5200mAh 45A cells (65mm length)

Now that I have a Convoy C8, Convoy L6, a bunch of smaller 400lm LED flashlights and several 500lm Headlamps ...I'm hard pressed to find another light I need (or actually want).

y8b1jL1.jpg

Last edited: