Review: Convoy L6 (XHP-70, 2x26650)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
After recently purchasing this light, I was really amazed that you can have big light in a price that is pocket friendly. Just have to use protected cells and be careful if the light gets too hot.

Initial concerns, I just wish it would throw more.

Tried and tested Enook 26650 protected flat top circuit, have seen that keeppower cells are specifically designed for this light. (shorter 26650)

novarider

Newly Enlightened
What is the advertised throw distance for this light? Couldn't find it listed anywhere

tntsui

Newly Enlightened
I got this light two months ago. It is really a great one, both in size and performance. I love it. It would be much better if its anodizing is improved to some what like mil III specifications.

Once it was carried with other lights in my backpack, because of my careless packing, after a journey, some of its finishing near the tailcap was removed a lot by colliding with other small lights with higher grade of anodizing.

G. I.

Newly Enlightened
y8b1jL1.jpg

Isn't that too much too close? I'd prefer less spill, more throw.

grioces

Newly Enlightened
Late to the party here but just ordered smooth reflector to see how it affects throw.

grioces

Newly Enlightened
Hello. Sorry for delay. Ordered reflector from Ebay merchant/China, long wait. Pluses: well made, good fit and quality. As for beam forget it. Dark center, rings, loss of throw, really ugly result. Stock reflector is the way to go I guess unless you are talented enough to reposition the emitter. I have it if ne1 wants it

Gerry

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Hello. Sorry for delay. Ordered reflector from Ebay merchant/China, long wait. Pluses: well made, good fit and quality. As for beam forget it. Dark center, rings, loss of throw, really ugly result. Stock reflector is the way to go I guess unless you are talented enough to reposition the emitter. I have it if ne1 wants it

Gerry
You have to modify the smooth reflector - Mountain Electronics (mtnelectronics.com) tells how:
This smooth reflector along with a dedomed emitter or XP-L HI is what you need to build an L6 "thrower". Warning: without modifying the reflector base, you will be disappointed in the resulting beam. A good beam can be achieved with this reflector, but it requires some work and tuning.
Here are my steps to achieving good focus with this reflector using a domeless emitter:

1> Ensure that your solder joints are flat and smooth. You need a flat surface so that the reflector can sit down as far as possible. Use 22 AWG wire (18 AWG is too large to get flat enough).
2> Discard the white XHP70 centering ring and instead just use a flat plastic insulating gasket like this one.
3> Sand the central raised portion off of the rear of the reflector. Then evenly sand the rest of the reflector base to approximtely 50% of its original thickness.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you provide an example of your pocket carry? :confused:

I think he is saying the price of the light is pocket friendly(not outrageously expensive), not that the light is pocket carry friendly. I have both a black & a silver L6 and can't wait to get to Kennedy Meadows in the Sierra Nevada mountains to show just how much these lights can "really light up" the mountains. Not meaning to go off topic to far, has anyone had an L-2 next to their L-6 for comparison?

light-modder

Enlightened
I have used an L6 and then an L2. Had to take turns with them so they weren't on at the same time but the difference was apparent. The distance wasn't huge maybe a little more than 50 yards at the farthest point. At this relatively short distance I much preferred the L6 as did my non flashaholic friend that I was showing them to.

Dave Youngman

Newly Enlightened
W/out reading EVERY post ... my only crit is the location of the on/off switch. The flashlight is too big to be considered a "TAC" light so the switch and mode buttons - IMHO- should be together below the head/reflector. I find it a tad frustrating to have to go to the base to turn it on and then search for the mode switch at the other end to change outputs. If they were side by side it would be as AWESOME as the massive light output & the price.

Latest posts