[REVIEW] Nitecore MH12S - 21700 - 1800 lm.

ro.ma.

Enlightened

For technical details and for the purchase: https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECORE-MH12S-1800-Lumen-Rechargeable-Fla...
The Multilingual Manual: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/Uploads/FLASHLIGHTS/download/mh12s.pdf

QkPzy3Gc_o.jpg

INTRODUCTION:

The Nitecore MH12S is the new tactical flashlight of Nitecore's "Multitask Hybrid" series. This new S "Superior Performance" version is equipped with a Luminus SST-40-W LED with a maximum light output of 1800 lumens, ideal for emergencies, self defense, outdoor activities and police forces. The MH12S is pocket sized and compact with a length of 141mm. Nitecore MH12S reaches a distance of 294 meters with its beam and is rechargeable via the USB-C port. It is equipped with a 5000 mAh 21700 format high-performance lithium battery included in the sales packaging.
Nitecore MH12S has two switches, side and tail, and has two modes of use for daily use or tactical with 5 light levels (over 3 special) ranging from 1 lumens to 1800 lumens. It has IPX68 waterproof rating (2 meters submersible) and is 1 meter impact resistant.

PACKAGING:
Nitecore MH12S arrives in the new dark-colored cardboard box with yellow lettering. The main characteristics that distinguish the flashlight are listed on the four sides. Inside we find:

- Nitecore MH12S flashlight
- NITECORE 21700 rechargeable lithium-ion battery (NL215o 5,000 mAh)
- USB-C charging cable
- CLIP, Lanyard and spare 0-ring
- NTHio tactical holster
- 18650/CR123 Battery Magazine
- Manual and warranty

Features:

• Utilizes a Luminus SST-40-W LED with a max output of 1,800 lumens
• Max peak beam intensity of 21,600cd and max throw of 294 meters
• An optical system combined with crystal coating and "Precision Digital
Optics Technology" (PDOT)
• Powered by a 21700 high capacity Li-ion battery while compatible with
18650 and CR123 batteries, to provide a runtime up to 1,500 hours
• Tactical Mode and Daily Mode available
• The tactical tail switch and the metal side switch control 5 brightness
levels and 3 special modes
• STROBE Mode uses randomly changing frequencies for stronger dizzying effects
• A power indicator beneath the side switch indicates the remaining battery
power (Patent No. ZL201220057767.4)
• The power indicator can display the battery voltage (±0.1V)
• Intelligent Li-ion battery charging circuit with a USB-C port
• NITECORE 21700 Li-ion battery included (NL2150 5,000mAh)
• Highly efficient constant current circuit provides a stable output
• Incorporated Advanced Temperature Regulation (ATR) module
(Patent No. ZL201510534543.6)
• Electronic reverse polarity protection
• Optical lenses with double-sided scratch resistant coating
• Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
• HA III military grade hard-anodized finish
• Waterproof and dustproof rating in accordance with IP68
(2 meters submersible)
• Impact resistant to 1 meter

Specifications:
Length: 141mm (5.55")
Head Diameter: 25.4mm (1")
Tube Diameter: 25.4mm (1")
Tail Diameter: 27.2mm (1.07")
Weight: 75.5g (2.66oz)

Accessories:
NITECORE 21700 Rechargeable
Li-ion Battery (NL2150 5,000mAh),
USB-C Charging Cable, Clip, Lanyard,
Spare O-ring, 18650/CR123 Battery
Magazine, Tactical Holster NTH10

Note: The stated data is measured in accordance with the international flashlight testing standards ANSI/PLATO FL 1-2019, using 1 x 21700 Li-ion
battery (5,000mAh) under laboratory conditions. The data may vary in real world use due to different battery usage or environmental conditions.
* The runtime of TURBO is tested without the temperature regulation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The package includes very useful accessories such as the excellent Clip, classic on these Nitecore torches, the resistant but soft lanyard on the wrist, the NTH10 tactical holster that speeds up the extraction of the torch and the convenient adapter for batteries in 1x18650 or 2xCR123 format.

The NTH10 Tactical Holster, designed especially for law enforcement, is made of rigid black plastic, compact and flexible. It has 4 adjustment points depending on the width of the belt and allows the full use of the MH12S even if inserted into it. Of undoubted convenience, this time I found little smoothness in inserting and removing the flashlight.
The NTH10 is compatible with the "MOLLE" system.

The battery supplied with the MH12S is a 5000 mAh 21700 lithium battery. The battery can be charged in an external battery charger, for lithium-ion batteries, such as UI1, UI2, UMS2 or UMS4.
Here are some features of the Nitecore 21700 NL2150:

- Incorporates a pressure relief valve
- A microporous barrier for heat dissipation
- Integrated PTC for overvoltage protection
- Cathode and anode in nickel-plated stainless steel
- Abrasion resistant coating
- Overload, over discharge protection

SPECIFICATIONS:
Capacity: 5000mAh
Voltage: 3.6V
Discharge Current: 8A
Weight: 73g
Length: 75.2mm
Diameter: 21.6mm

a1QEw9c0_o.jpg

Compatible Batteries:

Note: DO NOT attempt to use the MH12S to charge CR123/RCR123 batteries.

Nitecore MH12S can also be powered with other batteries, both in 21700 and 18650 format.
Having other batteries in the 21700 format at home, I tried, with success, to make the MH12S work.
The batteries used for the test range from a length of 70mm to a length of 77mm, both protected and unprotected.

At the two poles, for contact with the battery, we find a double plated spring on the negative and a single one on the positive. The Nitecore MH12S has reverse polarity protection.

Nitecore MH12S has good build quality, good thicknesses and coating. Similar to, but shorter than the previous MH12v2, it measures 141mm in length. The new Nitecore has gone from 1200 to 1800 lumens of maximum power by perfecting some details. The MH12S is compact and grips very well without having excessive weight (149 g with the battery).

Let's see the Nitecore MH12S together with the Nitecore MH12v2:

Here the Nitecore MH12S together with 4 of the previous Multitask Hybrid series torches.
From the left:
- Nitecore MH12GT - CREE XP-L HI V3 - 18650 - 1000 lm.
- Nitecore MH12GTS - CREE XHP35 HD - 18650 - 1800 lm.
- Nitecore MH12S - Luminus SST-40-W - 21700 - 1800 lm
- Nitecore MH12v2 - CREE XP-L2 V6 - 21700 - 1200 lm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitecore MH12S is made of aluminum alloy with an anodized finish, glossy black, hard military type. It is made up of two parts: head with body and tail. Well made and clearly legible the writings on the flashlight. Unfortunately I tested the drop (small distraction) while taking pictures and can assure that, beyond a slight nick, the MH12S continued to perform perfectly. Then there is no problem with the water tightness guaranteed by Nitecore with the IP68 classification (2 meters submersible).

On the head of the Nitecore MH12S we find an SMO parabola with the Luminus SST-40-W LED in the center.
The Luminus SSt-40-W LED is a high brightness cool white LED with maximum output greater than 1,800lm, available in 5000K, 5700K and 6500K color points, 70 CRI (typical). It is a compact monolithic emitter ideal for directional lighting applications with high uniformity. Here the LED Datasheet: https://download.luminus.com/datasheets/Luminus_SST-40-W_Datasheet.pdf
In the Nitecore MH12S the LED has cold white light with a temperature of 6500K. The maximum distance reached by the beam is 294 meters with over 21600cd.

The optical lens has anti-reflective treatment and anti-scratch coating on two sides; uses an optical system combined with crystal coating and PDOT (Precision Digital Optics Technology). The bezel is slightly crenulated.

Also on the head we find cooling fins and the side metal button (Mode Button) that allows us to manage the 5 available levels (in addition to the 3 special ones) with the Nitecore MH12S. The button has a hardly audible click and has a notification LED in the center that lights up blue to indicate the battery charge status. When the autonomy is running low, the LED flashes quickly. Under the button an irregularly shaped base prevents rolling. Compared to the previous Nitecore MH12v2 the button is less in relief, therefore it is more difficult to find it in the dark, especially when using gloves. Help can always come from the Clip inserted for example on the opposite side of the switch.

On the opposite side of the mode button we find the USB-C charging port protected by a thick rubber flap. The rubber flap rises quickly and reinserts very well, ensuring excellent protection.
The MH12S is equipped with an intelligent battery charging system. With the battery inserted, screw the torch shank completely and insert the USB charging cable (supplied) to any external power source (a USB adapter, a smartphone or tablet transformer or a PC), then insert the USB-C cable into the dedicated port on the back of the flashlight to begin the charging process.
• During the charging process, the indicator light will begin to flash slowly.
• When the battery is fully charged, the MH12S will stop the process and the indicator light will stay on statically.
• If the charging process encounters problems (damaged battery, polarity reversal, etc.), the MH12S will stop the charging process and the indicator light will continue to flash rapidly.
• The average charge time of a 21700 (5,000mAh) Li-ion battery is approximately 4 hours.

In my tests the full recharge of the supplied battery took place in about 3 hours and 45 minutes (using a 5V / 2A power supply), the recharge, according to my instrumentation, is done at 2A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The central body of the Nitecore MH12S has a rhomboid-shaped non-slip knurling at the bottom. The spaces to insert the supplied clip or the Tactical Ring Pro sold as an accessory are clearly visible.

In the back of the body we find the threads that arrive well lubricated. Being anodized they allow, by slightly unscrewing the tail, the mechanical locking of the flashlight. There is also a sealing O-ring for protection against water and dust.

The only unscrewable part of the Nitecore MH12S is the tail cap. The tail cap also has a knurling that facilitates the unscrewing of the cap. There are also two holes for inserting the lanyard supplied with the flashlight.
The design is always very nice even if it does not allow the torch to be placed upright (candle-shaped). In the queue we find the mechanical tactical button to turn the flashlight on or off. The button also has the Momentary-On function. To operate it you have to do a fair amount of force and the click is noisy.

The Nitecore MH12S near to other torches in 21700 format.

User Interface (UI):

The Nitecore MH12S has two switches, one on the side (mode button) and one in the tail (tactical).
With the Nitecore MH12S we have 2 Operating Modes: Daily Mode (factory selected) and Tactical Mode.

In Daily Mode we have 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes available. The MH12S, after switching off, will keep in memory the previously set level (the 5 brightnesses and the STROBE) and will propose it to the user during the switching on phase.

o Ultra-low: 1 lumen / 1500 hours / 7 meters
o Low: 50 lumens / 45 hours / 49 meters
o Medium: 300 lumens / 7 hours and 15 min / 122 meters
o High: 1050 lumens / 3 hours and 15 min / 219 meters
o Turbo: 1800 lumens / * 45min / 294 meters
o Strobe: 1800 lumens
o Beacon: 1800 lumens
o SOS: 1800 lumens

In Tactical Mode we have 5 brightness levels and 1 special mode available. The MH12S, after switching off, will keep in memory only the TURBO and STROBE levels previously set and will propose them to the user during the start-up phase.

o Turbo: 1800 lumens / * 45min / 294 meters
o High: 1050 lumens / 3 hours and 15 min / 219 meters
o Medium: 300 lumens / 7 hours and 15 min / 122 meters
o Low: 50 lumens / 45 hours / 49 meters
o Ultra-low: 1 lumen / 1500 hours / 7 meters
o Strobe: 1800 lumens

Tactical Momentary Illumination
Half press and hold the Tail Switch to turn on the light momentarily. Release to turn it off.
On / Off
On: When the light is off, press the Tail Switch until a click sound is heard to turn it on.
Off: When the light is on, press the Tail Switch until a click sound is heard to turn it off.
User Mode Selection
The MH12S provides 2 user modes for different users and situations.
Daily Mode (Default Setting): In this user mode, there are 5 brightness levels and 3 special modes (STROBE, BEACON and SOS) available. The
MH12S will memorize and re-access any of the 5 brightness levels or STROBE Mode (BEACON and SOS excluded) when reactivated, unless it
has been switched to the other user mode.
Tactical Mode: In this user mode, there are only 5 brightness levels and STROBE Mode available. The MH12S will only memorize and re-access
the TURBO Level or STROBE Mode when reactivated, unless it has been switched to the other user mode.
To select a desired user mode:
1. When the light is off, click the Tail Switch while holding the Mode Button.
2. Keep holding the Mode Button for approx. 5 seconds until the blue power indicator beneath the Mode Button flashes quickly.
3. The indicator will indicate a user mode selected by blink once for Daily Mode and blink twice for Tactical Mode.
4. The flashlight will be automatically turned on after this process.
Brightness Levels
Daily Mode: When the light is on, short press the Mode Button to cycle through the following brightness levels: ULTRALOW – LOW – MID – HIGH
– TURBO.
Tactical Mode: When the light is on, short press the Mode Button to cycle through the following brightness levels: TURBO – HIGH – MID – LOW –
ULTRALOW.
Special Modes (STROBE / BEACON / SOS)
Daily Mode: When the light is on, keep holding the Mode Button to cycle through the following special modes: STROBE – BEACON – SOS. Release
to select the desired special mode.
Tactical Mode: When the light is on, long press the Mode Button to access the STROBE Mode.
• When one of the special modes is on, short/long press the Mode Button to exit special modes and return to the previous brightness level; or click the
Tail Switch to turn off the light.

Beam and Runtime:

The beam of the Nitecore MH12S has a good uniformity with a pleasant tint, not too cold, and no visible artifacts. The LED temperature is about 6500K. With the lighting test near the wall you can see a well pronounced spot while the crown that surrounds it tends to green until it reaches the edges of the spill with a tint that turns slightly to violet. Moving away from the wall these color changes are not noticed and the beam is a beautiful white with a decent shot. To the eye I don't see any significant PWM in any of the 5 modes. The start of the spill from the walk is about one meter.

The Runtime were done in a closed environment with an ambient temperature of about 20 ° C using the Nitecore 21700 5000 mAh battery, found in the sales package, fully charged.

I would like to clarify that the values expressed by the graphs must be taken, above all, as a reference because they are made with means and environmental conditions different from those used in the laboratory.

The Nitecore MH12S with this powerful battery has a very good runtime. As can be seen from the discharge curve, the MH12S is well regulated. MH12S features the ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation) module that adjusts its output power by adapting to the surrounding environment, maintaining optimal performance.

About the temperature, the MH12S in "TURBO" mode can be held in the hand for several minutes, until the heat generated limits its use (without gloves), particularly near the side switch. Definitely a good compromise considering also other flashlights tried in the past.
From the test carried out indoors, the "TURBO" mode can be called up continuously for many minutes; naturally with the passage of these the duration is more and more limited until it reaches a few seconds when we are close to 3.70V.

Nitecore MH12S at TURBO level (1800 lumens) without ventilation.

Nitecore MH12S at TURBO level (1800 lumens) the first minutes of runtime.

Nitecore MH12S at HIGH level (1050 lumens) without ventilation.

VIDEO:

My Conclusions:

The Nitecore MH12S is the fifth generation of this "Multitask Hybrid" series and is certainly the most important and complete for me.
Nitecore MH12S has a solid construction and IP68 waterproof rating. Despite the 21700 format, the flashlight is compact in size and lightweight for optimal hand holding.
Nitecore MH12S is powered by a performing battery in 21700 format protected by 5000 mAh; it is also compatible with 18650 and CR123 / RCR123 batteries. As written in the review, it also supports batteries from other manufacturers of different lengths for greater longevity and costs of use. The well-protected USB-C charging port is of the latest generation and charging is fast at 2A.

Excellent beam performance with a maximum peak radius of 294 meters with a luminous flux of 1800 lumens.
The 5 light levels are well spaced and the strobe is effective which uses a frequency that changes randomly.
The well-regulated runtime and the simple user interface are of particular importance.

Finally, complete the package including everything you need to immediately use the flashlight. I do not see particular defects, the hope is perhaps that in the future the possibility of choosing the LED with one with a warmer temperature will be given. Recommended purchase.
Thank you for reading the review.

Disclaimer: The Nitecore MH12S was sent to me directly by Nitecore. I would like to clarify that in addition to the flashlight to review I have not received any compensation.

Last edited:

Snulfur

Newly Enlightened
Nice review!

How does it feel holding the flashlight at the 1800 and 1000 lumen mode? Does it become very hot or does the temp control do its job effectively in that regard?

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Nice review!

How does it feel holding the flashlight at the 1800 and 1000 lumen mode? Does it become very hot or does the temp control do its job effectively in that regard?

Hi, the ATR (Advanced Temperature Regulation) works well and on TURBO and on HIGH it lowers the light output after a few minutes. With bare hands after about fifteen minutes, however, it heats up a lot even considering that the switch is right on the head. However as I wrote better than other flashlights I have tried. I really liked the MH12S.

snerkler

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Do you have any idea what the spill is like compared to the MH25s? I know the 25 has more throw but I wondered if the 12 had more/brighter spill?

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Do you have any idea what the spill is like compared to the MH25s? I know the 25 has more throw but I wondered if the 12 had more/brighter spill?
Forgive me if I answer only now. The flashlight is now in the countryside and I cannot make a comparison. In my mind I think that the spot of the MH25S is brighter but that it also has a greater width.

snerkler

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me if I answer only now. The flashlight is now in the countryside and I cannot make a comparison. In my mind I think that the spot of the MH25S is brighter but that it also has a greater width.
Thanks very much, I've actually bought the MH25s and am very happy with it overall.